Black Screen After 5 Minutes

by hack4freecb

Original Post

Black Screen After 5 Minutes

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi All, 

So my game isn't crashing per se, but the screen will go black suddenly and then I'll need to manually restart the computer. House is on Newcrest that I was building and every time I load it, I play for 5 minutes then black screen again. I ran a benchmark to make sure it wasn't my Graphics Card and it survived that with flying colors. I've uninstalled origin using Revo and the problem persisted. Let me know what everyone thinks.

Message 1 of 2 (296 Views)

Re: Black Screen After 5 Minutes

@hack4freecb  Just in case it's that simple, do you have a different cable you could use to connect your monitor?  Your GPU should have both DisplayPort and HDMI ports, and your monitor does as well.  If you don't have a different cable, try connecting the cable to a different DP port on your graphics card; most of them have at least two.  And in case it's even simpler than that, double-check the connection on both ends to make sure it's not coming loose.

It's also worth connecting your monitor's power cable to a different outlet or, even better, a power strip or surge protector, and if it's already using one, to a different socket.

If that's not the issue, the cause might be the graphics driver: your dxdiag shows that the Windows desktop window manager is crashing over and over.  Just to be thorough, you can run a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files first:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the box to check for updates.  If any install, restart again afterwards.

If it comes to that, here's how to do a clean uninstall and reinstall of the graphics driver:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/02/clean-re-install-of-graphics-drivers-with-display-driver-uninstall...

Download a fresh copy of the newest Nvidia driver:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/188989/en-us

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (274 Views)