Re: Best Gaming Laptop?

by AllyyC

Original Post

★★★★ Novice

That all sounds cool but that's where the problem begins (mainly for you as I'm sure explaining isn't a lot of fun), I don't know what some stuff you're talking about is. Like an overclocked graphics card?

Also, that website is really cool, so thanks!

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer-Dragon

I found that on the website and the price stood out to me, (I know I sound really cheap but I still live with my parents and no matter if it's my money or not, my parents like to know WHAT I'm purchasing and my dad always tries to get things for extra cheap :/ ) But how well would that work? Or is it missing something that's expensive and would therefore bump the price up by a long shot?

Message 11 of 22 (1,263 Views)

@AllyyC  Yes, there's one critical thing that computer is missing: a decent graphics card.  The Nvidia 1030 wouldn't run TS4 and all packs on ultra settings now, and probably not even on high, depending on your tolerance for lag.  A strong card will drive up the price significantly.

I'm also not all that impressed with the processor.  It's fine for Sims 4, more than fine actually, but it will fall behind in a couple of years, if not with the game then with other tasks.  It's also not really even in the same class as the one your friend has, if that makes a difference.  If you have the money, I'd recommend getting a better processor now, one that will last you longer.  After a few years, getting a new processor usually means you'll need a new motherboard too, and therefore new cooling, and possibly new RAM or even a new power supply

(And, you know, you can tell your dad you're paying a bit more so that your processor, board, etc. will last 3 years longer than they would otherwise.  I see people still playing on third-generation Intel Core processors, which are six years old by now, but they're almost always the ones that were high-end at the time.)

It doesn't matter to TS4, but this model also only has a slow mechanical hard drive, rather than a solid state drive.  TS4 will run the same on either kind of drive, but Windows and many other programs will be much faster on an SSD.

An overclocked component is one that can run faster than its normal equivalent.  So an overclocked Nvidia 2060 will perform better than a basic 2060, but not as well as a basic 2070.  Your friend's 2060 is overclocked (that's the OC in the name), but a basic 2060 will always be more than good enough for TS4.

I would be happy to customize a system for you, as long as I know your budget.  You can tell me what details matter to you, like the strength of the graphics card or whether you'd want a computer that you can upgrade later (swapping out a graphics card isn't complicated, and adding RAM is even simpler.)  Then you can look it over and let me know what you think, if you have any questions or would like to swap out parts.  Also let me know whether you'd prefer to have a single hard drive, or if you're comfortable managing two of them.  It's not that hard, but it's certainly more convenient not to have to keep track of space on both drives and custom install apps on the secondary drive.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 22 (1,254 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yeah so then I'll nix that idea as I'd just be saving money to end up losing more money in the long run. My budget would preferrable be around 1,200 (it's changed since last time) but I would be willing to go to 1,500 depending on the pluses of doing so. I know it's hard to work off of "works perfectly with sims 4 and 3 and minecraft" but that's all that I really have to work off of since I don't know about all of this stuff. I don't know else I'd play but I'd still love to play other games. I'd like to be able to edit as well but I'd assume if a computer can run those games without a flaw then it'd probably be able to get a good editor? Just lag irks me (as does everyone) and can ruin the fun of a game depending on what it is. As I mentioned, I had a good laptop at one point so I'll for it to see if you could look into the specs? I'm not sure if it was refurbished though but maybe it would still help?

Message 13 of 22 (1,245 Views)

@AllyyC  I had an extended look around to see what was available, at what prices, for various hardware configurations.  Unsurprisingly, the cheapest prebuilt models cost less than a similar custom configuration, usually by a large margin.  For example, this SkyTech costs $1138 and has an AMD Ryzen 2700, an Nvidia 2070, 16 GB RAM, and a 1 TB solid state drive.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16883289031?Item=N82E16883289031

There's no configuration from Cyberpower that can come close to that price; even with the cheapest parts, the total would be $1301.  But the difference is, you could add liquid cooling and a higher quality power supply, plus upgrade the processor if you wanted.  And the default motherboard has more expansion slots, and more ports, than the one in the SkyTech.  You might never use them, of course; the question is whether you'd like the option.

Those three upgrades (plus the better motherboard) would cost you $1389, or $1411 if you wanted to futureproof the power supply even more.  But you could bring the price down to $1261 by getting an overclocked MSI-made 2060 graphics card.  Its benchmarks are still a bit behind the cheapest 2070s, but MSI products are probably higher quality than whatever is in the SkyTech.  (The product page doesn't say, but it's in all likelihood the cheapest card available.)

On the other hand, that's a lot of money to spend, and it may not be worth it if you're not planning to upgrade this computer at any point, or you're thinking you'll get a new one in a few years.  The point is, you need to decide what you want.  With your budget, you have plenty of options, but not all of them may matter to you.

And, of course, this is just one example.  You could get the same SkyTech but with a 2060 for $1020, and the same principle applies to the Cyberpower equivalent.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.

Message 14 of 22 (1,229 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I'm sorry a lot of that confused me :/

When you said "There's no configuration from Cyberpower that can come close to that price; even with the cheapest parts, the total would be $1301.  But the difference is, you could add liquid cooling and a higher quality power supply, plus upgrade the processor if you wanted.  And the default motherboard has more expansion slots, and more ports, than the one in the SkyTech.  You might never use them, of course; the question is whether you'd like the option." Was that you saying that CyberPower had better prices or that SkyTech did? Like would I be adding the things mentioned to CP computer or ST computer?

Just to add on, my dad seemed quite excited with the price of the 700 dollar pc (just to give a ballpark on where HE is with prices but it seemed like he had some space to bargain with). And with the CyberPower computers, would there still be room to change things, ie add liquid cooling?

Cause customization does sound cool but at the same time very difficult and confusing especially over a forum like this. With CyberPower, I'm mainly just enjoying it so much cause it's all put together and though the keyboard and mouse aren't necessary by any means (as I already have my own) they're just a cool and fun touch (and I'm sure that's part as to why CP includes them. But MAINLY, I'm attracted to the computers being made and their high ratings. Then it would done and dealt with (unless I decide to make changes in the future/if I am able to make changes with CyberPower computers). It's not that I'm not willing to customize it but it's just hard to work with you since you know so much and for you to work with me since I know so little.

Like, as an example, what would be 'wrong', for lack of better words, with this one? https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Syber-M-Core-100

~I'm so sorry for choosing the cheaper ones but I'd rather have my dad just kinda go with it instead of try to save money~

Thank you for all your help!

Message 15 of 22 (1,219 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Or these three (I found them on a website my dad told me to look at and I don't want to NOT give those options a try)

Best Buy | Opt. 1

Amazon | Opt. 2

Lenovo | Opt. 3

Sorry for sending this in a different message, I thought I was done when I sent the last one.

Message 16 of 22 (1,213 Views)

[ Edited ]

@AllyyC  The basic idea is, SkyTech computers are cheaper than CyberpowerPC models.  This is because SkyTech pairs high-end flashy components (processor, graphics card, hard drive) with cheap other parts (motherboard, power supply, cooling, maybe the case).  Cyberpower doesn't even offer some of these components—even the cheapest options are good quality.  So what I was saying is, you couldn't configure a Cyberpower computer with the same parts as a SkyTech computer.  There's no way to compare the two.

The result is, given the same processor and graphics card, the SkyTech option will be significantly cheaper than the cheapest Cyberpower option.  But the tradeoff is those cheaper parts in the SkyTech won't support as many upgrade options.  For example, in the one that I linked, the power supply is the minimum necessary to support the other hardware.  The computer will run fine, but if you, say, wanted to upgrade the graphics card, you'd need a new power supply as well.  There are other components I can explain as well, but only if you're curious.

If you don't want to think about the individual parts, that's fine—this is why I offered to pick them out for you.  But I do need to know whether you want to spend more money to get the higher quality parts that support upgrades.  I also need to know what your actual budget is.  You've said $1200 or maybe more, your dad wants $700... that's a huge range, covering completely different classes of computers, and frankly it's hard to work with.  I'm not trying to be critical, and I do understand the position you're in.  But there's no way to give you useful suggestions unless I know what you're willing to pay, and whether you're willing to pay more for higher quality parts.

If it helps, I can give you an impressive-sounding set of reasons to justify whatever you pick out.  Still, I can't do that unless I know what the "right" answer for you is supposed to look like.

On the subject of the three computers you listed: no, no, and not really.

• The first is cheap, but doesn't even have a dedicated graphics card, and it doesn't have a strong enough power supply to support a strong one.  I also doubt that the case has good enough cooling to support a high-end card.
  • The second is better; its dedicated card is enough for TS4 now, but it might not be in a few years.  Its power supply is even weaker than the one above, so you'd need to replace it if you wanted a stronger card later.  (Also, you can get a better card for cheaper.)
  • The third is actually a set of configurations, most of which would be great.  But for any of them, I can get you much better parts for your money, or the same parts for cheaper.

I know this is hard; that's why I'm offering to help.  If you want a Cyberpower, tell me the price and the amount of storage you want, and I'll send you a link for the configuration.  If you want a SkyTech, or a prebuilt computer in general, tell me the price and I'll send you a link for the best option for your money.

Message 17 of 22 (1,198 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I’m willing to pay 1200 dollars and around. My dad won’t be paying but he loves to monitor what I’m doing so if I could also have the reasons as to why the price is good, that would be super helpful. 

Id like to have a CyberPower and SkyTech, so i have both sides of the spectrum? They don’t have to be the same of course, but on the same scale, you know? (Oh, looking back, not those two companies necessarily, just prebuilt would be super nice)

Space is confusing for me since space on computers is completely different than like a phone. My current laptop has 32, maybe 64 gb of Ram and then 400 mb of ROM? According to my dad. So that would be the minimum as it seems to work well. 

Message 18 of 22 (1,170 Views)

@AllyyC  Okay, then that makes it easier.  There are two routes you can go—prebuilt or custom build—and I'll list a couple of options for each, along with the benefits of each.

These two SkyTech computers are the cheapest options for their hardware.  The first one has an Nvidia 2060 graphics card, 8 GB RAM, and 500 GB SSD, for $850.  The second one has an Nvidia 2070 (a much stronger card), a newer and stronger processor, 8 GB RAM, and a 1 TB SSD, for $1050.

https://www.amazon.com/SkyTech-Azure-Computer-Desktop-GeForce/dp/B07NV1PY1L

https://www.amazon.com/SkyTech-Shadow-Computer-Desktop-GeForce/dp/B07RHQ4Q8G

The main benefit of these systems is that you won't find an equal processor and graphics card for anywhere near as low a price.  They also have solid state drives (SSDs), which are much faster (and more expensive) than mechanical (HDD) drives, and still faster than hybrid (SSHD) drives.  While they only have 8 GB of memory, you could add more easily enough.  Secondary hard drives are also easy to install.

The downside is that the price is low because SkyTech uses cheap parts.  The graphics cards will be the lowest level in the category, and probably the motherboards and CPU coolers as well.  The power supplies won't support a stronger graphics card, so if you want to upgrade it in a few years, you'll need to get a stronger PSU.  (I have no idea if the cases would even fit a longer card, either.)

If you want to go custom, it will cost more, but you'll get better parts all around.  The cheapest way to go would be to start with this model, and tweak it so that it has:

• an AMD Ryzen 2700 processor, the same as the second SkyTech
  • liquid cooling for the processor
  • 16 GB RAM (with a free upgrade to a high quality brand)
  • your choice of whatever storage option(s) you want
  • an Asus motherboard with extra space for adding or upgrading hardware
  • a 750W gold-certified power supply that will support multiple upgrades
  • a case that will fit all but the very largest graphics cards

Cyberpower has a different sale every day, so the exact price varies a bit.  For example, yesterday, upgrading from 8 to 16 GB RAM was free; today it's a free 500 GB NVMe SSD.  (NVMe is the fastest kind of SSD.)  But to give you an idea, the above parts, with that free SSD and a 1 TB HDD, plus an overclocked (i.e. faster than standard) Nvidia 1660 ti would cost $1047.  Getting an overclocked MSI 2060 instead would cost $1148.  The best 2060 is still not as powerful as the cheapest 2070, of course, but the higher quality ones will perform better for longer.  And if you're just thinking about Sims 4, it won't ever need more than a 1660 (without the ti boost), so you could save even more now and add a better card later if you wanted.  (The version with a non-ti 1660 is $999.)

If you do want a Cyberpower system, let me know on the day when you're ready to buy, so I can add in whatever freebies are offered that day.  (Or you could watch yourself for the sales, if you're comfortable selecting the other parts.)  Otherwise, those SkyTech computers are the cheapest options.  I also saw more expensive versions with 16 GB RAM, so let me know if you want to check those out as well.

Message 19 of 22 (1,158 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you so much! First two will be considered and my dad will be leaning that way cause of the price but I’ll try to explain that those would waste money in the long run with the upgrades needed. But the cyberpower is very appealing to me.
I’m out of state so I’m on my phone and unable to use the cyberpower website well and have no idea what I’m doing. Would you mind adding the things you mentioned to the cyberpower computer so I could have the price? I can’t seem to find the area where the RAM would be located in customization for an example.
Does that computer have liquid cooling? It looked like it said it did but as I said, I’m struggling to get around the website (especially on my phone) so I’m not sure.
And just to reassure, these specs would be able to run the games I’ve listed with minimal lag?

But thank you so much again!
Message 20 of 22 (1,141 Views)