Backing up game to origin?

by chazzheaton

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Backing up game to origin?

★★★★★ Newbie

I have a new computer and I want to install my current Sims 3 game, I have a fair few expansion backs. Is there a way to upload the data to Origin and just redownload it? I originally got the expansion packs on disk, I only have a couple of the disks left and none of the cases (I'm guesses these got lost during moving house). I don't really want to reinstall the whole game from scratch since I would lose all my progress and most of my expansion packs :/ TIA

Message 1 of 3 (413 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Backing up game to origin?

@chazzheaton  You do need to reinstall the game itself on your new computer, but you can do it directly through Origin, as long as you've registered your discs or can do so now.  If you never registered the game and have lost the codes, you can still find them in the registry of your old computer:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/09/how-to-find-your-serial-number.html

Once you have the codes, just add them to your Origin account.  Or, if you registered the codes on the Sims 3 store site, the content will already be on your account, and all you have to do is login to Origin using your store credentials.

As far as the saves themselves go, they're stored in your TS3 game folder in Documents, along with any other content you've created or downloaded—this includes households and lots, mods, cc, and store items.  The folder itself can be transferred from one computer to another.  But the best practice is to start up the game on the new computer, thereby generating a new folder, and then transfer your saves and other content from the old folder to the new one.  You can't use Origin for this, but it's simple enough to put your game folder on a USB or external hard drive and then move it to your new computer.  Here's a list of everything in your game folder:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

Most of the content will transfer fine, including saves.  You may need to reinstall your store stuff; transferring it from a disc to Origin install doesn't always work.  And if you never fully patched your game, you may need to replace your mods as well, if you use them.  You'll definitely need a new version of any core mod you have, since you'll be on a higher patch level (Origin installs are patch 1.69, whereas disc installs only go as high as 1.67).  But all non-core mods will work equally well on 1.67 and 1.69.  If you're not sure what patch you've been using, open the launcher on your old computer and check the lower left corner.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (404 Views)

All Replies

@chazzheaton  You do need to reinstall the game itself on your new computer, but you can do it directly through Origin, as long as you've registered your discs or can do so now.  If you never registered the game and have lost the codes, you can still find them in the registry of your old computer:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/09/how-to-find-your-serial-number.html

Once you have the codes, just add them to your Origin account.  Or, if you registered the codes on the Sims 3 store site, the content will already be on your account, and all you have to do is login to Origin using your store credentials.

As far as the saves themselves go, they're stored in your TS3 game folder in Documents, along with any other content you've created or downloaded—this includes households and lots, mods, cc, and store items.  The folder itself can be transferred from one computer to another.  But the best practice is to start up the game on the new computer, thereby generating a new folder, and then transfer your saves and other content from the old folder to the new one.  You can't use Origin for this, but it's simple enough to put your game folder on a USB or external hard drive and then move it to your new computer.  Here's a list of everything in your game folder:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

Most of the content will transfer fine, including saves.  You may need to reinstall your store stuff; transferring it from a disc to Origin install doesn't always work.  And if you never fully patched your game, you may need to replace your mods as well, if you use them.  You'll definitely need a new version of any core mod you have, since you'll be on a higher patch level (Origin installs are patch 1.69, whereas disc installs only go as high as 1.67).  But all non-core mods will work equally well on 1.67 and 1.69.  If you're not sure what patch you've been using, open the launcher on your old computer and check the lower left corner.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (405 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thank you so much!! I'll try that thank you 

Message 3 of 3 (399 Views)