BLM pop up freezing my game, unable to load game

by theisz

Original Post

BLM pop up freezing my game, unable to load game

★★ Apprentice

Every time the BLM pop up loads when starting the game it causes the game to not respond (whether I click to exit out of it or do nothing) and I have to end task to get out of it and then reboot the game.  Every time and only when that pop up shows up.

Message 1 of 10 (1,850 Views)

Re: BLM pop up freezing my game, unable to load game

@theisz  This kind of issue is often not the pop-up, but the fact that your computer doesn't let you click to close it, because it "thinks" you're clicking on something else underneath.  Try disabling Game Bar; the option is in Windows Settings > Gaming > Game Bar.  If that doesn't help, disable Windows notifications while you play.

If that doesn't help either, disable any overlays you have running: Steam, Discord, etc.  Disable Origin in-game as well.  Hover over your username, select Application Settings, then the Origin in-game header, and disable the option at the top.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 10 (1,833 Views)

★★ Guide
@puzzlezaddict I have problems with this pop-up too, can't it be disabled entirely?
Message 3 of 10 (1,793 Views)

@IrisuChan  I'm not sure it can be, although I would think it would stop appearing if you saw it once or twice.  Maybe it's just appearing today because EA is trying to recognize Juneteenth.  (I haven't launched my game today.)

If the steps I listed earlier don't help, let me know.

Message 4 of 10 (1,788 Views)

pop up freezing game/computer

★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? uhh i dont know where to find that, but my game is up to date and i have all EPs
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? all of them
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? So, every time I load up my game now, the BLM message pop up freezes my entire computer when I try to close out to play. I fully support the movement, but my game isn't even playable now and that's really starting to p*** me off. I just want to play my game, cause you know, I spent a lot of money on it. Thanks.
What happens when the bug occurs? So, every time I load up my game now, the BLM message pop up freezes my entire computer when I try to close out to play. I fully support the movement, but my game isn't even playable now and that's really starting to p*** me off. I just want to play my game, cause you know, I spent a lot of money on it. Thanks.
What do you expect to see? I want to play my game
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. It started after you guys added in the pop up.

So, every time I load up my game now, the BLM message pop up freezes my entire computer when I try to close out to play. I fully support the movement, but my game isn't even playable now and that's really starting to p*** me off. I just want to play my game, cause you know, I spent a lot of money on it.
Thanks.

Message 5 of 10 (1,676 Views)

Re: pop up freezing game/computer

Hero

HI @batmanreptar 

Try resetting your user files as described in the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps-amp-Known-Issues/m-p/3621199

You won't loose anything. Just make sure to not delete any files  and make a backup.

After renaming, repair your game by right clicking on the game in Origin.

Try on a new game with nothing added back first (start new game). If it works, put back your save game and try again. If it still works, you can start putting stuff back.

• Options.ini (or just re-set all your settings manually)
  • Tray Folder
  • Screenshots/Videos/Custom music
  • Rest of the save games (leave out slot_00000001.save which is the autosave and no longer needed - if you still have it)
  • Custom content like clothing, hair, skins, make up ....
  • Mods (one by one, making sure they all still work)

The rest does not need putting back, cause they are mostly cache files that recreate or log files that are not needed for the game.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 10 (1,663 Views)

★★ Guide

Thank you, it disappeared for me now and I can enjoy my game as normal! Standard smile

Message 7 of 10 (1,697 Views)

Game Freezing When Trying to Close Black Lives Matter Message On Main Menu

★★ Apprentice

I've been having an issue where, once the game launches and the new black lives matter message that pops up before the main menu screen, if I try to X out the message to start playing the game, the game freezes. And I'm forced to end it with Task Manager. And despite pressing the Windows button, the Sims 4 won't minimize; I have to wait a while to even be able to access Task Manager. Is anyone else having this issue?

Message 8 of 10 (1,665 Views)

Re: Game Freezing When Trying to Close Black Lives Matter Message On Main Menu

@Violetfey  I've merged your post with another thread on this issue.  Please try the suggestions in post 2, and let me know if they don't work.

Message 9 of 10 (1,659 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I just set Origin in offline mode prior to firing up the game now because of this.  That prevents the popup from loading and I am able to get into my game.  I've decided I'm not jumping through hoops doing a repair and such just for a popup on EAs side.  I really don't understand why they made it a popup.  Why not add it to the top of the load screen where they advertise stuff with a link there?  

If I want to get to the gallery I just go into settings in game to go online and connect that way. 

Message 10 of 10 (1,563 Views)