Are these good spec for the Sims 4 + Packs?

by BabiGrim

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Are these good spec for the Sims 4 + Packs?

★★★★★ Novice

8bdcd0aa06331c8c8a23c452ec970ea5.png

I'd much appreciate if I need a new laptop- If you could link me to a better system!

Message 1 of 10 (490 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Are these good spec for the Sims 4 + Packs?

@BabiGrim  I'm not seeing any options to set the max memory for the iGPU, unfortunately.  Is there a key for Advanced mode somewhere on the screen that I'm not seeing?

There may still be a way to do it, but maybe with third-party software I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending.  You could also check the Radeon software for a setting; it would be something having to do with memory or VRAM.  Right-click on the desktop to look.  I'm sorry I don't have better guidance, but I don't have access to a laptop with this particular setup, nor do I know anyone who does who I could ask.

It's still worth making sure that free memory is in fact the issue though.  Open the Task Manager's Startup list and disable anything you don't absolutely need to be running at startup.  (Write down the changes in case you want to revert later.)  Then do a clean boot:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

Go through the Task Manager again, this time looking through Background Processes to see whether there's anything you can disable.  You don't want anything running except essential services like your graphics drivers.  Play Sims 4 for a bit and see whether it runs any better.  Check the overall memory use in the Task Manager to see how much RAM the game and system are using.  Although this isn't the most precise reading, it'll give you an idea of where you are.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 10 of 10 (350 Views)

All Replies

@BabiGrim  The specs are somewhere between good and very good, but there's one important detail missing: the graphics card.  Is this a computer you're considering purchasing?  If so, please link it.  If you already have access to it, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

I can also look for other options for you, if you want.  Please list your budget and country, as well as any other considerations that matter to you.

Message 2 of 10 (485 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice
Message 3 of 10 (483 Views)

@BabiGrim  I need the whole dxdiag, in text form.  Please click "Save all information," save the .txt file to your desktop, and attach it to a post.

Message 4 of 10 (476 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
Message 5 of 10 (464 Views)

@BabiGrim  That laptop should be able to handle all current Sims 4 packs together on ultra graphics settings with some room to spare, although that may not be true by the time the game is out of development.  A mix of high and ultra settings should always be fine though.

One thing you may want to do is boot into BIOS and set the integrated graphics chip to use less video memory by default.  I'm actually not totally sure it's possible on your laptop, but if you want to try it, let me know, and we can take a look at the options.  The reason to do this would be to free up more of the system memory for other tasks instead of letting the iGPU reserve it for itself, which is totally unnecessary: the only time you'd use that much VRAM is when you're playing a game, and in that case the Nvidia card (with its own VRAM) would be doing most of the graphics processing.

There are a couple errors in the dxdiag related to the USB 3 driver, so if you have issues while playing, try unplugging the external drive and anything else connected via USB.

Message 6 of 10 (448 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I'd like to try that then! My computer lags horrendously without mods or anything inside of it. I don't put any mods and I only have like 4 packs I don't have and I feel like I might've made a mistake in getting this laptop-

Message 7 of 10 (446 Views)

@BabiGrim  I'd try playing with nothing else plugged in at all, and while making sure your laptop can properly cool itself.  Put it on a hard flat surface like a desk while you play, and don't run anything else in the background.

If that doesn't help, we can look at your BIOS options.  I believe you need to restart your computer and repeatedly press esc, then when the menu shows up, then press F10 to open BIOS.  Don't change any settings yet; just take a photo with your phone, then if there's an Advanced option, click on that and take another photo.

There still might be better options though; this is just about gathering information.

Message 8 of 10 (427 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
Message 9 of 10 (379 Views)

@BabiGrim  I'm not seeing any options to set the max memory for the iGPU, unfortunately.  Is there a key for Advanced mode somewhere on the screen that I'm not seeing?

There may still be a way to do it, but maybe with third-party software I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending.  You could also check the Radeon software for a setting; it would be something having to do with memory or VRAM.  Right-click on the desktop to look.  I'm sorry I don't have better guidance, but I don't have access to a laptop with this particular setup, nor do I know anyone who does who I could ask.

It's still worth making sure that free memory is in fact the issue though.  Open the Task Manager's Startup list and disable anything you don't absolutely need to be running at startup.  (Write down the changes in case you want to revert later.)  Then do a clean boot:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

Go through the Task Manager again, this time looking through Background Processes to see whether there's anything you can disable.  You don't want anything running except essential services like your graphics drivers.  Play Sims 4 for a bit and see whether it runs any better.  Check the overall memory use in the Task Manager to see how much RAM the game and system are using.  Although this isn't the most precise reading, it'll give you an idea of where you are.

Message 10 of 10 (351 Views)