Antivirus detected ts4_x64 exe file as malware, is it possible something got in?

by AstraHannah

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Antivirus detected ts4_x64 exe file as malware, is it possible something got in?

★★★ Newbie

Today, I downloaded the update and started playing. Everything went just fine for about a half of an hour, then the game suddenly closed and my antivirus popped up, saying that a virus was detected. Not really thinking anything else then "there's a virus I'm doomed I have to delete it" I clicked the delete button, and only then I noticed that what I just deleted was the ts4_x64 file, without which I can't start the game.

My issue here isn't the fact that the file is gone, the antivirus quarantined it for me to put back if I want to.

What I want to know is whether:

a) it is possible for malware to get into the Sims and infect my computer.

b) this happened to anyone else after the update(though I'm not sure whether it would be more or less possible to be dangerous if it did).

Because the whole situation is weird to me. I have Sims 4 on my computer since 2017, and the antivirus was also always there, and never had any problems with the Sims. And I'd think that it was something about the update that activated whatever it was that thought that the file was malware, but if so, I'm not sure why didn't it detect anything right as I completed the update or as I turned on the game. But as I said, I played for a bit after that, only then it shut down.

I think I had online functions on, but I didn't use them, so I don't think anything could've got in that way(through the gallery and such, I mean), if it's even possible.

The antivirus I'm using is Kaspersky Internet Security. I checked the entire Origin Games folder specifically on it, and there's no other viruses in it according to the antivirus.

So, I'm not sure whether the game couldn't have got infected by a virus. I don't know all that much about viruses, so I'm sorry if someone who is knowledgeable about these things will know the answer right away without needing help and/or the question will just seem stupid.

I might have just put the file back in already, but the antivirus saying that it found a trojan in it is concerning.

I'm adding a file of the report from the antivirus about the virus and where it was found and what kind it was. It's in Czech, but I hope someone will make sense of it. On the right, there's the name of the app it was found it, the path through files to there the file was, and the time it was found. And on the left, there's three notifications about finding the virus(aside what's on the right, it was allegedly also on the desktop where I had the Sims), one notification about it getting deleted, and the name of the virus underneath all of them. 

I hope someone will help me, tell me whether it seems dangerous or not.

Thank you in advance.:-)

Message 1 of 14 (9,922 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Antivirus detected ts4_x64 exe file as malware, is it possible something got

Champion (Retired)

@AstraHannah 

Rightclick the game in Origin and select Repair.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.

View in thread

Message 2 of 14 (9,914 Views)

All Replies

Re: Antivirus detected ts4_x64 exe file as malware, is it possible something got

Champion (Retired)

@AstraHannah 

Rightclick the game in Origin and select Repair.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 14 (9,915 Views)

@AstraHannah  TS4_x64.exe is not a virus, and as long as you downloaded the game from Origin, there shouldn't be any way for a virus to be hiding inside.  A number of antivirus programs have been flagging that exe and TS4.exe as viruses lately, for unknown reasons.  It might have to do with sharing data or some other EA-enabled connectivity.  But the game and its component files are not actual viruses.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 14 (9,892 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It worked, the antivirus doesn't seem to have problems with it now, thank you!

Message 4 of 14 (9,843 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I can't even get it to download

Message 5 of 14 (8,584 Views)

★★ Novice

I am now having this problem, i repaired the game and even uninstalled it. Still getting the same results

Message 6 of 14 (5,876 Views)

Hero
@nicolewoolard02 Are you using Norton ? If so, just add Sims as an exception

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 7 of 14 (5,849 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Malwarebytes just moved the TS4_x64.exe to quarantine because of "Malware.Heuristic.1003", after installing the latest update. I also uploaded the file to virustotal and there Malwarebytes didn't detect anything but instead another app said that it's a heuristic virus.

What's EA doing now that even anti-virus/malware apps become active?

Message 8 of 14 (5,716 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Nathipha 

Please see this thread: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/CURRENT-ISSUE-Anti-Virus-blocking-User-Folder-Screensh...

Message 9 of 14 (5,681 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@jpkarlsen 

Thanks for your reply. I just checked the other thread and this is a completely different problem, even though it looks like it could be related. Why different? Because everything works fine in the game itself: I can take screenshots, view the gallery and the "GameVersion.txt" file lists the correct version, so nothing's trying to block the "Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 4" folder and I'm not using AVG or Avast either.

I can open the game just fine if I go through Origin but if I open it via the shortcut or the exe file directly (which I usually do), then Malwarebytes blocks it.

With the latest update (1.79.93.1030) there's now also a new thing when I start the game through Origin: My anti-virus software asks me if I want to block the app's access to "proxy.novafusion.ea.com" because apparently there's no valid digital signature for the exe. Even when I give it permission, the game then asks me if I want to go online.

There's something fishy going on...

Message 10 of 14 (5,656 Views)