An Indirect Compliment of EA/Sims

by Pholo1

Original Post

Accepted Solution

An Indirect Compliment of EA/Sims

★ Novice

Has anyone else found that after all the reinstalling, freezing, crashing, and the deadly error 12 they are now much more educated about how to read code script, clear caches, defrag a system just in case, find patches or mods, find workarounds or reinstall an entire operating system?

I am, so my thanks goes to the EA platform and their shockingly bad history on poor coding and timely bug fixes - I applaud your commitment to the technological education of the masses.

With my love and thanks,

X

Message 1 of 3 (205 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: An Indirect Compliment of EA/Sims

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@Pholo1

Error 12 had nothing to do with poor coding of TS3. That was specifically caused by two issues: Microsoft limiting virtual memory to 2 GB in Windows and/or not having enough RAM to run the game.

Defragmentation has nothing to do with poor coding, either. That is a side effect of saving on a hard drive. 

All the other stuff that you said you had to do to fix your game sounds like bad advice, like how people will tell someone whose only problem is low RAM to go run out and buy a new $800-$1000 machine, instead of just telling them to go buy a new RAM stick for $30. I have run into issues with TS3 but I've never had to do all this stuff you mentioned. All I ever had to do was keep updating my graphics drivers, clear my cache one time to fix graphical issues, and go into Windows Command to bump up my virtual memory to more than 2 GB.

That was it. I never one day had to learn to read code script, defrag a system, find patches, mods or workarounds, or reinstall an entire operating system. If you did, through, maybe you shouldn't be thanking EA for its "commitment to the technological education of the masses." You should be thanking all of the people who gave you all these "overkill" suggestions to help you troubleshoot your game instead of giving you an easier, less stress free solution that would've worked just as well. 

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (171 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@Pholo1

Error 12 had nothing to do with poor coding of TS3. That was specifically caused by two issues: Microsoft limiting virtual memory to 2 GB in Windows and/or not having enough RAM to run the game.

Defragmentation has nothing to do with poor coding, either. That is a side effect of saving on a hard drive. 

All the other stuff that you said you had to do to fix your game sounds like bad advice, like how people will tell someone whose only problem is low RAM to go run out and buy a new $800-$1000 machine, instead of just telling them to go buy a new RAM stick for $30. I have run into issues with TS3 but I've never had to do all this stuff you mentioned. All I ever had to do was keep updating my graphics drivers, clear my cache one time to fix graphical issues, and go into Windows Command to bump up my virtual memory to more than 2 GB.

That was it. I never one day had to learn to read code script, defrag a system, find patches, mods or workarounds, or reinstall an entire operating system. If you did, through, maybe you shouldn't be thanking EA for its "commitment to the technological education of the masses." You should be thanking all of the people who gave you all these "overkill" suggestions to help you troubleshoot your game instead of giving you an easier, less stress free solution that would've worked just as well. 

Message 2 of 3 (172 Views)

★ Novice

Keep your hairnet on, it was a vent after the game crashed again. And also a genuine compliment to EA because I *have* learnt a lot about computing after spending years trawling the internet in search of answers to the latest issue that cropped up.

Message 3 of 3 (153 Views)