Almost All Files Corrupted Upon Moving To New Computer

by MassacreWolfe

Original Post

Re: Almost All Files Corrupted Upon Moving To New Computer

★★★ Novice

@roberta591

This is a refurbished computer with new parts but it's a 2011. That's why I'm wondering if my computer's just trash for certain things. 

Message 11 of 19 (728 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@MassacreWolfe 

You need to do a little cleaning. Move the jpg images somewhere else. Also move the zip (winrar) files somewhere else. Only resource.cfg, package files and ts4script files (if you have any) belong there.

Your Graphics is below minimum requirements. Try setting graphics to low and see how that goes. The CPU and RAM are fine.

There is no such thing as being halfway on one version of Windows 10 Either the upgrade fails or it succeeds. In your case it failed as you are still on 1809 instead of 1903. 1909 will begin rolling out later this month.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 12 of 19 (719 Views)

★★★ Novice
@jpkarlsen well i moved the other stuff, but i can't even run the sims 4 to do anything settings-wise. I keep getting the error message that the game won't run because all of my cc/mods are corrupted.
None of the remaining files have an icon.

Welp at least now I know that the failed update's not the issue...
Message 13 of 19 (706 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@MassacreWolfe  According to the dxdiag your graphics is below minimum requirements. This game requires a minimum 128Mb of dedicated graphics. So at the very least you will probably have graphic issues. You will not be able to run this game at resolution like 1080p using the integrated graphics unit. As far as the issues with mods, move the games user directory to your desktop. There will be no user data the next time you start the game. After you successfully start the game the next time the game will recreate the required user files with out mods. If the game starts and runs then the issue is with the mods.

Message 14 of 19 (682 Views)

★★★ Novice
@roberta591 welp i'm looking into upgrading the graphics card then, because i have a lot of higher scaled games and the site that sold me the computer lied to my face

However, I've moved files in the game's directory so many times in so many various ways.
But the problem is, the mods aren't the issue, they work perfectly fine on my laptop and my best friend's gaming desktop, and when I try to redownload them from their original sites it still says they're corrupted, and there's no way that all of them are outdated.
The game works with the mods on other computers that are updated to the latest patch, but on this desktop it says the mods are corrupted no matter what I do and will work only without the mods.
It's only happening on this computer.
Message 15 of 19 (673 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@MassacreWolfe Your desktop model says it is a SFF which means small form factor. There may be restrictions installing a video card. First installing a graphics card may (probably) require a power supply upgrade. Many SFF desktops use a none standard power supply. Most PSU's for SFFs will only increase the output a little and usually not enough for most moldern graphics cards. A SFF may not even have a PCIe slot for a graphics slot. Even is a SFF has a graphics slot you may only get a low profile card to fit in the slot. I do not use mods but a new mods folder should have a file resource.cfg. To add mods all you should have to do is copy the uncompressed mod file into the user mods directory. If the mod works in another computer it should work in the new computer. What confuses me is file corruption. I am not an expert on mods. I read somewhere you may have to delete some cache files but I don't see why the corruption issue. Try one mod and do not leave the compressed file in the mod folder. Winrar should work but Windows has a built in .zip file uncompreessor but you have to use Winrar if the file has the .rar extension.

Message 16 of 19 (2,823 Views)

★★★ Novice
@roberta591 I'm not entirely sure what happened, but after I moved them all back to the mods folder little by little they just all started working. It might've been that my computer or the usb I used couldn't process large chunks of mods at a time??
I think that worked, so thank you o.o
Message 17 of 19 (626 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@MassacreWolfe 

Your PC does support 1 low-profile PCIe x16 so you can upgrade with a standalone graphics card.

Search google for "low profile graphics card". it does not have to be too expensive to run the Sims 4 well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 18 of 19 (617 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@MassacreWolfe   I have found that the flow control on some computers is bad when you are transferring large files. Usually on older computers when I was transferring movies that were like 700Mb or larger.

Message 19 of 19 (584 Views)