Almost All Files Corrupted Upon Moving To New Computer

by MassacreWolfe

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Almost All Files Corrupted Upon Moving To New Computer

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

So my laptop's been breaking for a while, ya? Well I got a new computer and y'know transferred all my WORKING Sims 4 and even Sims 3 mods over, but when I tried to load up Sims 4 it said one of my mods were corrupt. Deleted it, tried loading again, a new mod is corrupted. This goes on and on for half an hour before I say screw it, because clearly it's not going to let me play any time soon and I'll just end up deleting all my mods.

The mods that don't work have no image, while the working ones have the WinRAR image in the folder. All the mods show up and work just fine on my laptop, but on the new computer it says they don't work and that they're 0 bytes. Both are PC, both run on Windows, I don't understand what the problem is. I tried repairing the files via downloads, cc cleaners, WinRAR itself, and I've repaired and reinstalled Sims 4 countless times. I tried downloading one of the corrupted mods from it's original source and it still said it was corrupted. Then I tried a few more and got the same result. I know for a fact that the mods aren't outdated since my laptop is updated to the most recent patch as well and the mods work just fine. 

I've tried moving the Sims 4 folder to the desktop and getting a clean one. I've tried moving just the Mods folder to get a new one. Still doesn't work. 

And I know my computer can handle mods, as my Steam mods work just fine, and so do my downloads from the sims 3 exchange. 

My computer's just being extremely selective with WinRAR files, as I have over 1,800 Sims 4 mods/115 Sims 3 mods and only 15 of them work. 

I don't even know what to do because I was able to easily transfer all these same mods to my best friend's computer a while ago, and when I take out all CC the game will load. 

I've spent 10 hours trying to get this to work and no progress has been made. The only other things I can think to do are reinstall Origin or uninstall WinRAR (I tried updated WinRAR on my new computer and it was still acting like this)

I have a i7 intel core, 16GB RAM, 2GHz CPU, 4 processors, and 2TB of disk space. 

Is it my computer, or is it some other problem?? Should I just give up because without my mods I just can't play the games...

I can provide a screenshot of the error message if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Message 1 of 19 (2,333 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Almost All Files Corrupted Upon Moving To New Computer

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@MassacreWolfe Your desktop model says it is a SFF which means small form factor. There may be restrictions installing a video card. First installing a graphics card may (probably) require a power supply upgrade. Many SFF desktops use a none standard power supply. Most PSU's for SFFs will only increase the output a little and usually not enough for most moldern graphics cards. A SFF may not even have a PCIe slot for a graphics slot. Even is a SFF has a graphics slot you may only get a low profile card to fit in the slot. I do not use mods but a new mods folder should have a file resource.cfg. To add mods all you should have to do is copy the uncompressed mod file into the user mods directory. If the mod works in another computer it should work in the new computer. What confuses me is file corruption. I am not an expert on mods. I read somewhere you may have to delete some cache files but I don't see why the corruption issue. Try one mod and do not leave the compressed file in the mod folder. Winrar should work but Windows has a built in .zip file uncompreessor but you have to use Winrar if the file has the .rar extension.

View in thread

Message 16 of 19 (2,818 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)

@MassacreWolfe 

You say that they show the Winrar icon. This is because they are not unpacked. You need to do this and then remove the rar files from the mods folder. You can put them somewhere else for safekeeping.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 19 (2,310 Views)

★★★ Novice
@jpkarlsen They're unpacked on my other computer, they were unpacked when I transferred them. When I click on them to try to unpack them even Winrar says they're broken
Message 3 of 19 (2,307 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@MassacreWolfe Did you just copy the whole user file directory? When you start the game on a new computer it tries to recreate the user data on the new computer. What you need to do is install the game, let all expansion install. THEN start the game. Then copy the mod folder and custom content folders. If you copied the whole user directory from the old computer there are files about the old computer and file locations from the old computer and copying over these files could (probably) corrupt the new files.

Message 4 of 19 (2,286 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@roberta591I only copied the mods folder, I let the whole game and the expansions install, then ran the game before I put the mods in.

Edit- Actually I didn't even copy the mods folder, I let the game make it's own and then added all cc and mods to the new files. 

Message 5 of 19 (2,281 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@MassacreWolfe If you have a new new Windows computer, OneDrive is active out of the box because Microsoft wants you to use it. Periodically OneDrive moves certain files to a directory to be synced. Windows knows whjere the files are but the game does not know that the files were moved. Turn off OneDrive. After the files are moved the game creates default files the next time the game starts. This is a known issue.

Message 6 of 19 (2,261 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@MassacreWolfe 

Please post a screenshot of your mods folder. make sure it is in details view and that the address bar is shown as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 7 of 19 (2,250 Views)

★★★ Novice
@roberta591 This computer can't handle the entire Windows 10 update so it's half the new update and half the old. I'm trying to downgrade it to a full version that it can handle, but I honestly can't tell if that's the main problem as to why my stuff isn't working. I guess that's something I'll have to find out when I find a version it can handle.
Message 8 of 19 (2,229 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@jpkarlsen

They're all set up exactly like my laptop, and everything works, except the winrar icon doesn't show up on 90% of my mods, and those are the ones that my game says are corrupted. When I click on them and open them in winrar, it says they're corrupted. 

Edit: Looking through, it does seem like a few more of them have the icon now?? 

Message 9 of 19 (2,224 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@MassacreWolfe At this point you need to post your computers dxdiag. Normally I would download mods to my user download directory, decompress the file (if it is compressed), then move the uncompressed file to my to the game mods directory. I don't understand the computer can't handle the entire Windows 10 update. I'm getting the impression you have a small system device. You can not do half a windows 10 update and end up with an unflawed operating system. You need to post your systems dxdiag. You can attach the whole dxdiag to the paper clip in the lower right of the forums response window.

Message 10 of 19 (2,200 Views)