by crinrict

Original Post

After the new update it wont let me play any household

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? City Living, Get To Work, And the Holiday one.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Try to figure out what is causing this for me.
What happens when the bug occurs? I can not play any household. Not even new ones.
What do you expect to see? I expect to be able to actually play the household. Every time I try to play the household it just sends me back out with an error message ever since the newest update.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The newest Update (June 19 2018)

This is the error I am taking about, it is very annoying and I cant play the sims 4 currently, I would appreciate if you could some how figure out how this happened, Note, it started today when I updated my game, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game and deleting some cc I have, but nothing will work, Please help me.

Message 1 of 10 (21,756 Views)

Re: After the new update it wont let me play any household

★★ Expert
hi, did you remove the whole Mods folder, or just your CC? i didn't understand that bit.
Message 2 of 10 (21,724 Views)

★ Novice

I think it has to do with CC. I was having the same issue and moved everything out of my mods folder into a different folder on my desktop and went into the game with no CC or mods and my household loaded just fine so i went back out of the game, put my mods folder back and tried again and it brought me back to the world selection screen. I think that because the update was such a large one to get ready for seasons, that it broke a lot of CC.

Message 3 of 10 (21,710 Views)

Hero

Hi @PandaPersonSIMS

Try resetting your user files as described in the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps-amp-Known-Issues/m-p/3621199

You won't loose anything. Just make sure to not delete any files  and make a backup.

After renaming, repair your game by right clicking on the game in Origin.

Try on a new game with nothing added back first (start new game). If it works, put back your save game and try again. If it still works, you can start putting stuff back.

• Options.ini (or just re-set all your settings manually)
  • Tray Folder
  • Screenshots/Videos/Custom music
  • Rest of the save games (leave out slot_00000001.save which is the autosave and no longer needed - if you still have it)
  • Custom content like clothing, hair, skins, make up ....
  • Mods (one by one, making sure they all still work)

The rest does not need putting back, cause they are mostly cache files that recreate or log files that are not needed for the game.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 10 (21,708 Views)

★ Novice

@unseenlarks wrote:
hi, did you remove the whole Mods folder, or just your CC? i didn't understand that bit.

I removed everything, mods cc, and nothing worked.

Message 5 of 10 (21,659 Views)

★ Novice

@crinrict wrote:

Hi @PandaPersonSIMS

Try resetting your user files as described in the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps-amp-Known-Issues/m-p/3621199

You won't loose anything. Just make sure to not delete any files  and make a backup.

After renaming, repair your game by right clicking on the game in Origin.

Try on a new game with nothing added back first (start new game). If it works, put back your save game and try again. If it still works, you can start putting stuff back.

• Options.ini (or just re-set all your settings manually)
  • Tray Folder
  • Screenshots/Videos/Custom music
  • Rest of the save games (leave out slot_00000001.save which is the autosave and no longer needed - if you still have it)
  • Custom content like clothing, hair, skins, make up ....
  • Mods (one by one, making sure they all still work)

The rest does not need putting back, cause they are mostly cache files that recreate or log files that are not needed for the game.

Thank you so much!

Message 6 of 10 (21,660 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
The same thing happened to me, I thought it was my CC and mods that were the problem so I've been deleting the ones I most recently added into my game. Nothing has worked.
Message 7 of 10 (21,512 Views)

★★ Pro

@lennonmaiaxo

With removing mods and custom content, you need to clear the game cache and delete the localthumbcache.package from the Sims 4 folder to help with troubleshooting.

How to Delete Cache Files
https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/

Launch the game again to test, try a new save without the mods folder. If it loads okay, it may be that some of the mods/cc have become outdated.

Disabling or turning off both mod/cc options isn't enough of a test. Testing like this will help determine if it's a mod issue, cc issue or a vanilla game issue.

To fix mods and custom content try the 50/50 method:

1. Move all the mods and cc out into a temporary folder on the desktop.
2. Move a few files back at a time. Load the game to make sure it loads and everything is good.
3. Delete the localthumbcache.package from the Sims 4 folder.
4. Repeat steps 1 - 3 till there is no more files to check.

** While your testing, don't save the game. If you find any problems, delete the mod or custom content file.

How To Find Problem Mods and CC
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS4_Finding_Problem_Custom_Content

Custom content can become outdated with most new game patches. If the game works when the Mods folder is removed, then one or more of the mods and/or custom content has become outdated and will need to be removed or replaced. EA/Maxis aren't responsible for broken mods/cc. It's up to the creators to fix.

Message 8 of 10 (21,504 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I had the same trouble with the new update and my custom content and mods folders. I found a way to still use the same mods or folder that wont work with the new update, so i went through my entire mods folder and because i thought  it might be one of my new cc i downloaded so i spent ages trying to work it out. so to allow your game to work first move your sims 4 folder onto your desktop and start the sims, after that it should create a new save file. You need to delete the folder that is inside your mods folder or cc that is in there(your old sims 4 folder) and leave it 10 second open your bin on your PC and restore the file. It should automatically reaper in your mods folder then transfer the folder that you have just deleted into your new save file and hope fully it should work. This work with mine and hopefully it will work for you but i recommend only deleting one folder at a time Standard smile

Message 9 of 10 (20,949 Views)

Community Manager

Hi @AlyssaSc0tt,

Thanks for sharing your workarounds in this thread. It's a bit of an oldie and the issues with the household from last year won't be caused by the same thing you experienced with the new update this year. Your post would be more relevant in say this thread "Sims disappeared from household/Blue flashing square on map" for  example. Standard smile Feel free to join in there or check other current threads. I'll lock this thread in the meantime to limit further necroing/confusion. 

Lanna.png____________________________________________________________

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

Message 10 of 10 (20,878 Views)