Re: weird mirroring

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

weird mirroring

★ Apprentice

In my game things that are glass or shiny like tabletops have extensive mirroring -- the floor, whole parks etc. but the mirrors don't reflect anything they are just shiny. wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? is this a glitch?? seems strange

Message 1 of 8 (500 Views)

@lcsoloman1  I haven't seen this myself, and I haven't read any reports of it.  So I can see your specs and your graphics settings, please attach your deviceconfig.log to a post; it's in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3.  (You'll need to manually open the folders; the file won't show up in a search.)  You can delete your user and computer names, about 25 lines down, but there's nothing else in that file that can identify you.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 8 (498 Views)

★ Apprentice

attached. thanks!

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 3 of 8 (438 Views)

@lcsoloman1  Your graphics chip is actually a bit slower than the minimum requirement for the 64-bit version of Sims 3.  That doesn't mean you can't play, as you've seen, just that there might be some compromises.  For now, try enabling Advanced Rendering to see whether that makes a difference.  Change the setting at the Main Menu, then quit to desktop before loading the game, or you might see some very strange graphics glitches.

If this doesn't help, please post a couple of screenshots showing the issue.  If the in-game screen capture tool doesn't capture the mirroring, you can put the game in windowed mode (click cmd-return) and use cmd-shift-4 to capture the portion of screen you want.  I'll try your graphics settings myself and see if I can reproduce the issue, although I have a different graphics card, so I may not see the same thing.

Message 4 of 8 (425 Views)

★ Apprentice

ohhh :/ thanks i will try that!

i was going to post about this other issue i ran into -- i loaded a beach lot and when it was still blurry/not loaded the lot looked like it was gonna be sand but when it focused it was just grass. tried to use terrain paint but terrain paint didn't work. do you think all of that is also graphics card issue? thanks!

Message 5 of 8 (418 Views)

@lcsoloman1  The look of the beach lot may be due to one of your low graphics settings, whether advanced rendering or something else.  I don't know which world you saw this in, but depending on how the terrain was originally painted, it may be defaulting to some generic grass look rather than sand.  If you let me know what world and lot you saw this on, I can check that too.

The terrain paint not applying is a known issue on all Macs running the 64-bit version of Sims 3.  If you want, you can click Me Too and post in this thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-64-bit-Terrain-paints-not-applying/m-p/...

Message 6 of 8 (407 Views)

★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict thank you! It was bridgeport. I think there's only one beach lot? But if not i can go in and find the name for you! thanks for your support!
Message 7 of 8 (370 Views)

@lcsoloman1  Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  I couldn't reproduce this issue on my Mac, which doesn't say a lot since I have different hardware, and I meant to test on another Mac but never got around to it.

Anyway, it would be helpful to have a couple screenshots of the issue you're seeing.  There's still a possibility that some graphics glitches get fixed by EA, but documentation is critical.  It would be great to be able to pair your deviceconfig with a couple of screenshots of what you see in-game.  You can put the game in windowed mode (cmd-return) and use cmd-shift-4 to capture the section of screen you want to show.

Message 8 of 8 (317 Views)