the sims 3 (64-bit & metal) release

by Marg_Sosa

Original Post

Re: the sims 3 (64-bit & metal) release

★★★ Apprentice

I have played Sims 3 both on a Mac and on a Windows gaming laptop, so from my own experience I can say Sims 3 runs like a dream on a Windows gaming laptop in comparison to how it runs on a Mac.  I even purchased that Windows gaming laptop specifically to run Sims 3 on, because the experience of running Sims 3 on a Mac was unbearable to me. I would even dare to say that the Sims 3 version for Mac should never have been allowed to retail in that state, that's how bad it runs.

Message 841 of 4,043 (1,896 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

For some reason I don't see the updated version in my library still and I'm getting worried.

Message 842 of 4,043 (1,878 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Me too. I just have the 32-bit that I can't play Frown

Message 843 of 4,043 (1,876 Views)

Hero
@simplyluke__ It should be added soon, not everyone has it yet.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 844 of 4,043 (1,857 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA Staff

@teddywhoo Now there's a set of questions I hadn't expected to see. Cool

The primary intent has been to maintain the core of the application in as cross-platform a way as possible and to spend as little time in non-OS-centric code as possible. Largely the migration went from C++ to Obj-C and Obj-C++. Whether memory allocation/deallocation optimizations may have been realized as a result of the porting work is, honestly, outside the scope of what I was paying attention to so I can't meaningfully speak to it.

I do recall early in the porting effort some issues were raised about charsets. I don't recall if the problem was in the portability of file names, or if it was something more inside-the-game (names of assets that might be shared cross platform? Something else?), nor do I recall what the resolution was. I wish I could be more specific for you. Some of the more challenging porting work was migrating off of OpenGL and onto Metal. These are not as similar as you might think, and some amount of tuning was required (I'm positive there are some OpenGL tricks we used that may have artifacts in Metal that we just didn't notice during testing).

It might be easiest to think in terms of what our objectives with the update. At a really high level they were:

• Do not limit or overly complicate what we can do on other platforms with decisions we take here
  • Maintain forward compatibility of file formats from prior versions (files from older versions still work)
  • Maintain cross-platform compatibility of file formats (files from this version work with Windows, and vice-versa)
  • Maintain service compatibility with existing game services (thesims3.com and its various services, CC, etc)
  • Do not make changes that require the minimum specification to disenfranchise large sets of players (don't end up with a MinSpec of "must be played on 2020 iMac Pro!")
  • Change only technologies that are needed to assure the longest possible functional life of this update (taking into account supported life cycle, security implications, etc) and
  • Don't change things just 'cause we're elbow deep in the code already

Or, to put it as succinctly as possible:

• Do as much good as we can, as quickly as we can, with the least amount of collateral harm

I really do wish I go into more depth with you but this isn't quite the right time or place (there is, after all, a rather large milestone on my calendar for tomorrow morning).

As far as one, two (or three?) icons bouncing in your dock - that's still a thing. Watch 'em dance! We have not changed the basic structure of Launcher and Game, and of course Origin is required too. When you double-click on The Sims 3 in Finder you will see Origin launch, then hide. You will see the plumbob dance, then persist as Launcher presents itself. Once you place that plumbob will go away the main game window (its own process) will take over. If, in game, you you select Options -> Open Launcher then you will see both plumbobs in your Dock.

Also note: The first time you launch The Sims 3 you'll see Finder doing a "Verifying The Sims 3.app" (or some variation of this). This takes a while. It's macOS Gatekeeper verifying the signature/signing of the whole 7+GB bundle. That can take a while depending on your CPU, where the .app bundle is stored, and how fast the interface to that storage is.

--
I am an employee of EA.

Please do not send me private messages unless I ask you to. I promise that you will get help faster in the public forum. Thank you.
Message 845 of 4,043 (1,814 Views)

Hero

Out of curiousity, what would be the new version number of the game? It can't be 1.67 anymore, right? 1.69 is for Windows, so is the new one higher than that?

Message 846 of 4,043 (1,787 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Sorry if anyone has previously asked this, I am yet to purchase The Sims 3 from Origin, currently it's still only showing the option for the 32 bit version. Does it only show the update once you have purchased or will it be rolled out to buy as a 64 bit version in due course?

Message 847 of 4,043 (1,754 Views)

Hero

New box art... well, not exactly new, but it does stand out.

Message 848 of 4,043 (1,638 Views)

★ Apprentice

Now this is a weird question, but I just got gifted a few packs by a friend recently (Yes!) I am super excited to be able to play with them tomorrow, but alas I am a little concerned because they are showing up under the old, unplayable Sims 3 and not the new one. Will they just apply to the new one when I download them? 

Message 849 of 4,043 (1,599 Views)

Hero
@isaetoilerina They will show up during the next few days.

Message 850 of 4,043 (1,591 Views)