Re: the sims 3 (64-bit & metal) release

by simstarchick

Original Post

★★★★★ Guide

So excited for the release today! I was wondering about additional Sims 3 worlds-I have Hidden Springs & Monte Vista on disk. Should I redeem these in Origin in order to get a 64-bit compatible version, or can I redeem them on the Sims 3 Store and then download from there? Thanks!

Message 881 of 4,043 (8,413 Views)

EA Staff

@ldthomson There are basically three stages to the entitlement* process for The Sims 3 owners.

Stage 1:

Pre-release. We have to find every possible offer that has existed for The Sims 3 and it's Downloadable Content (every pack and pack bundle that might have ever existed), identify the Origin accounts that own these entitlements, and then update every one of those accounts with the entitlement for the new 64-bit The Sims 3 base game and DLC. This stage is nearly complete, yet there have been some straggler offerings that have taken longer to identify and update (the previously noted Limited Editions, Collector's Editions, some variations on Bundles, possibly special offerings of the Base Game that haven't been properly identified etc).

Stage 2:

Automagic entitlement. This is what we all want to get to, and what will start happening (knock on wood) at 10:00am (Pacific) today. At this point ANY redemption of a The Sims 3 entitlement, for macOS or Windows, will result in the granting of an entitlement for all three versions (Windows, macOS 32-bit, macOS 64-bit). Likewise for any DLC purchased/redeemed.

Stage 3:

Stage 1 involves running a series of very large database queries and then building bulk update scripts that run over multiple days. This is a bunch of words that basically mean "we're working from a snapshot in time with a large data set and, as the process moves forward, there is a window wherein new entitlements will have happened but are not captured in the bulk update AND Stage 2 hasn't begun yet." To accomplish Stage 3 we will repeat the steps of Stage 1, but restricting the queries and updates to the window of time between when we started Stage 1 and when Stage 1 ultimately completes. Running this second sweep should be considerably faster since we will be working with a smaller data set of "entitlements in the last 7 days" instead of "every entitlement since the initial release of The Sims 3." None-the-less, I can't promise time frames. I will be surprised if this second stage is not completed by the end of this week or sooner. Life is often full of surprises.

As with any release where there are a lot of moving parts as well as working with many legacy systems (The Sims 3 is over ten years old and has been offered via multiple versions and variations of EA's publishing infrastructure), I expect that there will be things we miss. We're trying to cover all possible options and it's our collective intent that ALL authorized The Sims 3 players automatically get this new update. If ANYONE ends up not having the entitlement by the time we're done then that was an accident and that person (or persons) should reach out to our Customer Support engineers to fix the problem.

* An "entitlement" in Origin means "a player is permitted to use this catalog item." You get an entitlement logged against your origin account when you redeem a code that hasn't been previously redeemed. Sometimes a code that gets redeemed is also a "shell" offering (think "bundle") that actually activates multiple catalog items at a single time.

--
I am an employee of EA.

Please do not send me private messages unless I ask you to. I promise that you will get help faster in the public forum. Thank you.
Message 882 of 4,043 (8,397 Views)

Hero

@simstarchick Those can only be downloaded from The Sims 3 Store, so go to this page to redeem them. Once you're done, they will show up in your Purchase History and you will be able to download them.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 883 of 4,043 (8,391 Views)

★★ Guide
@MaxisJoe This is super helpful - thank you so much for the transparency. So basically those of us who registered our code or purchased the game within the last 7 days should fall under Stage 3 then.
Message 884 of 4,043 (8,349 Views)

EA Staff
@loveoz13 Yup. And, unfortunately, we can't start running that job until Stage 1 finishes. The ETA on that was right about now, but I haven't seen updates on it yet.
--
I am an employee of EA.

Please do not send me private messages unless I ask you to. I promise that you will get help faster in the public forum. Thank you.
Message 885 of 4,043 (8,312 Views)

★★ Guide
@MaxisJoe totally understandable - time didn't stand still whilst stage 1 was running (such annoying nature quirk Wink). like I said before, curiosity kills the cat - should have waited till today to get my copy. oh well... something eventually is better than nothing Standard smile
Message 886 of 4,043 (8,281 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@mate54 Thanks for the reply. I checked in Origin and they are available for download/purchase there as well in the original Sims 3 version, so I am wondering if I redeem through Origin will it make me able to get a 64 bit version, or will downloading it from the Sims 3 store still work with the new 64 bit?
Message 887 of 4,043 (8,166 Views)

Hero
@simstarchick Store content should work with the new version.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 888 of 4,043 (8,152 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@mate54 Ok thanks!
Message 889 of 4,043 (8,114 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Got a mug full of chai tea and waiting for The Sims 3 to become downloadable in 35 minutes or so.

Message 890 of 4,043 (8,038 Views)