Re: the sims 3 (64-bit & metal) release

by teddywhoo

Original Post

★★★ Apprentice
@MaxisJoe Do you know if The Sims 3 Showtime Collectors edition is going to be updated to 64-Bit? I've heard that the normal version has shown up on people's computers but not the Collectors version.
Message 831 of 4,043 (1,342 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Apprentice

Thanks for your updates and explanations over all these months@MaxisJoe!

Because no one has asked yet, and because I'm very curious, I'm wondering if you could divulge some technical details:

After dropping Cider as the compatibility layer, did you rewrite things in Objective-C and/or Swift? Or, did you use .NET or something similar to call into Cocoa and Metal APIs instead? And/or, did you develop some kind of a transpiler?

If some of the source has been rewritten in ObjC and/or Swift, are there other performance improvements unrelated to the increase in the addressable memory size? For example, does automatic reference counting in ObjC and Swift help with memory deallocation, or does it get in the way of allocation? And, if some sources are now in Swift, does the game now take advantage of Swift's copy-on-write value semantics? Will the game automatically become more performant when new ObjC and Swift runtime come with macOS updates?

Are there some limits imposed to the game now that it's native, in order to preserve compatibility with Windows? For example, are there some restrictions on characters a user can type into a text field, so that things like save files created on macOS will have filenames recognisable by Windows?

Lastly, if I'm understanding your posts and guessing correctly, the first change we the users will see is that, when the game launches, there won't be multiple game icons jumping in and out of the dock anymore, right?

Message 832 of 4,043 (1,344 Views)

Hero
@cheesypastella I have that one, and normal Showtime has shown up under 64-bit version.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 833 of 4,043 (1,330 Views)

★★ Guide
@cheesypastella MaxisJoe has indicated that limited edition and collectors edition are coming but they might be lagged behind
Message 834 of 4,043 (1,314 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@mate54 Weird, it's not showing up for me, and nor are some of my stuff packs. But, since it's not out yet there is still hope it shows up!
Message 835 of 4,043 (1,314 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@loveoz13 Ah okay thank you!!
Message 836 of 4,043 (1,311 Views)

Hero
@cheesypastella It doesn't seem to be same for everyone. My Stuff Packs are appearing in reverse order: from the newest to the oldest. Currently down to Master Suite SP.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 837 of 4,043 (1,302 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@mate54Well, I don't know if my results are dispositive of... anything, really, but Suites de Rêve is the last Stuff Pack on my list.

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 4.57.37 PM.png

Message 838 of 4,043 (1,259 Views)

★★★ Guide

I had one stuff pack showing up this morning - Aussie here so that was only a few hours ago.  I have just returned from grocery shopping and there are two more stuff packs.  Yay, progress.  This is so exciting.

Message 839 of 4,043 (1,190 Views)

★★ Guide

I don't have all of the expansions, and I'm trying so hard not to go on a spending spree in Origin in my excitement lol

Message 840 of 4,043 (1,166 Views)