Re: the sims 3 (64-bit & metal) release

by realfabiomello

Original Post

Highlighted

★★ Pro

This is a Mac support thread, why the war over who has more rights?

If not happy with something related to the game, Windows users should post here. 

Message 801 of 4,043 (1,404 Views)

★★ Guide

@Darens-Stuff there are ways to get the game to run on windows, i havent been able to open the sims 3 at all for a year. there are plenty of work arounds that will allow the game to run smoother. im sorry that you arent getting a windows update, but please dont come on the mac help form and make us feel bad for getting an update.

Message 802 of 4,043 (1,399 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@spookyorca it's not my intention to rain on the parade or anything, some fellow Windows users and I are just curious about our situation. Sorry if I made anyone feel such way. As I said, we are as excited as you guys and we want to be able to play the game in full potential.
Message 803 of 4,043 (1,370 Views)

★★ Pro
@spookyorca Thank you, dear, well said.
Message 804 of 4,043 (1,331 Views)

★★ Guide

@sims21993 You see it in your library because Windows players are still able to play the Sims 3 on their computers, whereas Mac players are not which is why there are receiving this update. As MaxisJoe has said, there are no plans for a Windows compatibility release. This thread is for Mac players and the 64-bit & metal release, so like others have said you should take your enquiries elsewhere.

Message 805 of 4,043 (1,274 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@realfabiomello People! Let's stop talking about Windows here, this topic is for MAC users, sorry if I commented on something that was not the appropriate time for this session of the forum,
Hugs to everyone.
Message 806 of 4,043 (1,103 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@Darens-StuffI don't know why. The sticky at the top of the Mac forum says that only the Mac version is getting this update. @MaxisJoe has said on here a few times that it's not currently in the roadmap to update the Windows version since it still works. While I get that it's a bummer that it's not 64-bit for everyone, keep in mind that The Sims 3 has always been native for Windows. Whereas, the Sims 3 Mac version has been a buggy Cider port which can be and has been incredibly problematic for Mac users. The problems have only increased since the company that made Cider stopped updating it and decided to go into real estate financing instead, new versions of macOS have come out thus introducing new bugs into the game, etc.

The only reason WE'RE getting this update is because Apple announced last year (or maybe it was the year before last?) that Mojave would be the LAST version of macOS to support 32-bit apps/games.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting EA to update The Sims 3. I legit wasn't expecting a push for it to not only become macOS native but also use 64-bit architecture and the Metal graphics engine. I'm used to games just not working anymore and being abandoned and virtually unplayable without some serious workarounds... possibly forever.

Let me tell you about a game called Neverwinter Nights. It was created by Bioware (which is now a part of EA). When Apple announced the switch from PowerPC to Intel chips on its computers and created a way for developers to create "Universal Binaries" so that their apps/games would work on both PowerPC Macs and Intel Macs, Bioware didn't take them up on that opportunity. The native Mac version was unplayable until Beamdog remade Neverwinter Nights a few years ago. Not to mention, this game was so old, it relied on the old Gamespy libraries to facilitate server listings and multiplayer. Naturally, when Gamespy was shut down, this functionality ceased to work. Beamdog updated the game so that the multiplayer functionality used Steam instead.

In short, EA did a good thing here. I'd like to encourage more of that from a company whose actions have been... less than stellar.

Message 807 of 4,043 (1,092 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Also, I just got the entitlement on Origin for the four Stuff Packs I own (Suites de Rêve, Katy Perry Délices Sucrés, Inspiration Loft, and Cinéma).

Message 808 of 4,043 (1,049 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@VeroniqueBellamy🥰

So excited!!! 

I got 70's, 80's & 90's, Diesel, Fast Lane, High-End Loft, KP, Movie Stuff and Town Life. Just missing Master Suite and Outdoor Stuff. 

Yes! It's happening guys.

Message 809 of 4,043 (947 Views)

Community Manager

Please keep this thread on topic related to Mac, thank you.

Blueberry.png
Message 810 of 4,043 (904 Views)