Re: the sims 3 (64-bit & metal) release

by VeroniqueBellamy

Original Post

★★★★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Oh great, Thanks so much!
Message 641 of 4,043 (2,581 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

This is awesome news!

Will custom content work with the new update?

Message 642 of 4,043 (2,446 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

Hi @elleskyheart, let me explain ARM architecture to you, how it works, when/how it's relevant to you... all of that.

First, even if you buy a new Mac today, it'll probably be able to play the new TS3 coming out soon. Why? Because it's an Intel Mac. So far, NONE of Apple's Macs are released on the ARM architecture. MacRumors speculates that at an event next month, Apple MAY announce the first ARM Macs that should be available to consumers but notice the key word in this sentence: MAY. So far, every Mac you can buy from Apple today is Intel. And I find it unlikely that they'll refresh their entire lineup all at once. So, you still have some time to get a new Intel Mac.

But what if Apple DOES release an ARM-based Mac and you do wind up buying it? You can probably still play this for at least a few more years. If past is prologue, then Rosetta 2 will probably stick around for a few versions of MacOS just like the original Rosetta did back when Apple made the leap from PowerPC to Intel. But there will likely be a day when Apple drops Rosetta 2.

Mac OS X 10.4.4 "Tiger" was the first version of Mac OS with Rosetta and it remained with MacOS until 10.7 "Lion". Based on this, I imagine MacOS 11.2 will be the last version with Intel binary support. Do not quote me on this, because again, this is speculation.

I'm definitely pondering buying a new Mac. But I'm definitely planning on keeping this one around for a good, long time. In fact, the day that I buy a new Mac, I happen to have a copy of MacOS Mojave on a flash drive ready to install on this Mac. Just so I can download ALL of my favourite Mac games.

Message 643 of 4,043 (2,905 Views)

★★★ Novice
@MaxisJoe It’s great that you’re providing info back to Mac users and giving them what they want. However, many of us Windows users would appreciate a yes or no answer for the plans for a Windows 64-bit version, as the majority of Windows users have to use third-party mods (Nrass) to minimise low performance and in-game glitches on high-end systems. And no, the mods do not fix the issue but minimises the in-game (Sim stands an hour at the fridge before opening it) scenario.

We would really appreciate a 64-bit port. For our own sanity. Thankyou!
Message 644 of 4,043 (2,749 Views)

@Azarino wrote:
@MaxisJoe It’s great that you’re providing info back to Mac users and giving them what they want. 

It's not so much what we want, it's what we need as the game no longer works in current and future macOSs due to Apple pulling all support for 32-bit apps in September 2019. The game still works in 32-bit on Windows right?

@Azarino wrote:
However, many of us Windows users would appreciate a yes or no answer for the plans for a Windows 64-bit version

MaxisJoe has already answered that question in the post you're replying to:

"I also know a lot of you are wondering if this release will also include a 64-bit update for Windows players. No, it won't. And that's the other question I can't and won't answer: "When, or will, there be a Windows 64-bit update?" We can't comment on rumors and speculation nor can we comment on unannounced roadmaps that may or may not exist. If there was more I could tell you about this - I would."

@Azarino wrote:
as the majority of Windows users have to use third-party mods (Nrass) to minimise low performance and in-game glitches on high-end systems. And no, the mods do not fix the issue but minimises the in-game (Sim stands an hour at the fridge before opening it) scenario.

The exact same thing applies to Mac users but as a Windows user maybe you're not aware of this. No bugs have reportedly been fixed in this updated version for Mac. There is no indication that performance will increase. We can hypothesise that the game will now be able to access unlimited amounts of RAM but we don't yet know the reality of this.

The super relevant section to read in @EA_Leeloo's excellent FAQ about this is here:

Is this a Remaster or Remake of The Sims 3?

This new version is acompatibility release which adds support for 64-bit, Apple’s Metal graphics API, and makes the application a fully native macOS app. It is not a Remaster or Remake of The Sims 3.

The original Mac version was never a native application . It was ported using the most awful tool called Cider which thankfully no longer exists in it's original form (google "Transgaming Cider" to fully understand what it was and why it was so awful). You think Windows users had it bad? Until Mac users found a myriad of workarounds this game was unplayable on Macs. And yes, that was on high spec. Macs and I'm not referring to gameplay bugs. You know the LAA update you guys got? We never got that so were always limited to 2GB RAM which normally the greedy Launcher chewed up. Even bypassing the Launcher didn't always fix that.

The list is really endless Frown

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 645 of 4,043 (2,712 Views)

★ Apprentice

Are you able to answer this burning question yet:

will Error 12 still happen when playing with this 64-bit update?

Message 646 of 4,043 (2,383 Views)

★★ Pro
@Bluebellflora You are my hero!!!! Thanks for clarify to "all" users. The topic is clearly about Mac but we still have windows users asking specific questions. We love you ❤️
Message 647 of 4,043 (2,250 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Now that Late Night is also among the catalog, all expansion packs are apparent!

Message 648 of 4,043 (2,229 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@MaxisJoe I haven't felt this excited since TS3's original launch >,<
Message 649 of 4,043 (2,130 Views)

★ Guide
@VeroniqueBellamy Thank you. I'm not good with tech, but I mostly understand this. I didn't know that it hasn't come out yet and is still just a maybe. Thanks again.
Message 650 of 4,043 (1,983 Views)