Re: Can't run The Sims 3 on macOS Catalina

by Catalina26

Original Post

Highlighted

★ Apprentice

It's past the time they said it would be out. When are they gonna get it together?

Message 261 of 4,043 (8,432 Views)

★★★★ Guide

They are still working on it and are giving us monthly updates. No one expected COVID to happen and the fact that they care enough to keep working on it at home when they could be working on something else shows their dedication. It has nothing to do with getting it together because they technically don't even need to do this, they are doing it because they know that plenty of Mac users love the game. I know that a lot of people have been saying this but we need to just stay patient and let this amazing team to continue doing what they are doing, because updating a game that old is bound to take time.

Message 262 of 4,043 (8,425 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@Catalina26, yes, they said that it would be out in early 2020. However, you're forgetting two important things:

1. They made that guesstimate BEFORE COVID-19 was even a thing.
  2. It's EA. They've made optimistic release date promises before and failed to hit the target.

Now, I'm actually much more satisfied with @MaxisJoe's monthly update for this month than the ones in previous months as it gives us more insight into the why. I mean, as a developer, I was thinking that all these things could be the case but was just speculating.

I think they're actually doing pretty well, all things considered. It's still being worked on in spite of a global pandemic. Keep in mind too that this is an eleven year old game and the last piece of DLC came out almost 7 years ago. The fact that we're getting an update at all is amazing. And I'm also not surprised that a lot of conventions, libraries, etc. have changed in the past seven years. Hell, there was a time when a major MacOS update would break Photoshop. Hell, versions of Photoshop pre-Creative Cloud aren't even working in Catalina and Adobe's solution to this is to recommend people finally give in and get a subscription to the Creative Cloud. EA isn't doing that here. We're getting a free update to game plenty of us probably bought aeons ago.

I love to give EA hell. But this time, they're doing something right. Suck it up.

Message 263 of 4,043 (8,407 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

Compare this to Obsidian Entertainment and Neverwinter Nights 2.

Yes, I know I've brought this game up a few times in this thread but it bears repeating.

Let me just say: their Mac implementation was hot garbage. Certainly not one of Aspyr's best works. You could only play the Original Campaign (none of the expansion packs, which is a shame since Mask of the Betrayer was better than the Original Campaign), and any attempt to add in the DLC required some special jiggery pokery in order to make it work. Honestly, you're better off buying a copy off of gog.com and installing it via Porting Kit.

My point? They could have just said nothing. Let us twist in the wind like Obsidian did with the NWN2 players. But they didn't. They're actually upgrading their game. As someone who loves old games, I am quite happy that they're doing this.

Though, there is the possibility this can NOT be the last update. You want to know why I say that? The convergence of Mac and iOS. With all the DLC and microtransactions and an easier path to making it native for iOS (or at least, iPadOS?)... There's coffee in that nebula, I mean, There's gold in them thar hills.

Message 264 of 4,043 (8,353 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

I agree. And they don’t have to update their games this long after the initial release. Its a choice they’ve made. Just be grateful. Remember the first sims game? It wasn’t supported that long. But If I want to play it. I get my old laptop for all the old games. If u upgrade a system/laptop/pc etc to a newer version its your choice. 

What I mean to say is. Have a little patience. They are working on it. And don’t give them such a hard time on a little delay.. 

Message 265 of 4,043 (8,301 Views)

Re: the sims 3 (64-bit & metal) release

★★★ Guide

@MaxisJoe Wow, thanks a lot! Large smile

Message 266 of 4,043 (3,884 Views)

Re: the sims 3 (64-bit & metal) release

[ Edited ]
Champion

@MaxisJoe, thank you for the update! This really is a breath of fresh air that we Mac players have needed for a long time. Please thank all of your team who has probably spend hours upon hours looking at the game code trying to figure this all out. I am a totally happy camper to wait a little longer for one of my favorite games. Please stay safe.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 267 of 4,043 (3,868 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

Yeah, @daisyorgana, like I said before... I'm gonna keep this laptop I have around for a long time just so I can be prepared to play a LOT of things. Though, when I retire it from being my primary computer, I'll probably just load it up with games that I'd want to play. I know even in spite of it being nearly as old as a Kindergartener, it might be wise to keep it around if I want to continue to play certain games. Hell, I'll probably even downgrade it from Catalina and install a bigger capacity hard drive just so I can grab all my old Mac games from Steam.

Message 268 of 4,043 (3,767 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@VeroniqueBellamy Indeed, I have mine too >.< big old thing.. Butttt as long as it can run some old games. its fine. Don't wanna miss them. So it's worth the space Standard smile
Message 269 of 4,043 (3,756 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA Staff

@VeroniqueBellamy Be careful with the battery in that beasty. I've had a few of that vintage swell and burst the shell when the laptops were left in storage for a few years. At least one of those laptops wouldn't power up, even from the power adapter, after the great swelling.

--
I am an employee of EA.

Please do not send me private messages unless I ask you to. I promise that you will get help faster in the public forum. Thank you.
Message 270 of 4,043 (3,613 Views)