Re: where are we on the update for sims 3 64 bit????????

by VeroniqueBellamy

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

I personally think it wouldn't be a problem. Especially not for this topic. Sims 3 will be macOS native based on metal graphics. And for the next few years there will be plenty of intel based macs. Ur not forced to buy an arm based mac tho Wink

Message 251 of 4,043 (3,814 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Wondering how long the transition period for those chipsets will be before Apple discontinues Intel Support in macOS 11.0+. The only thing we know for certain is that it WILL happen. As they said themselves: in two years, the whole Mac line-up will replaced. If I remember it correctly, Apple had a 3 year grace period for IBM PowerPC Chipsets 2002-2005. H

I

would expect a little longer one for Intel Chips, as it would in all fairness discontinue the juicy 10k$ Mac Pro @VeroniqueBellamy and I talked about earlier (which was released last year?) 4 year's software support for such a Mac is out-of-question, lol, would expect at least 6

Message 252 of 4,043 (3,733 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Guide

Yeah, we're talking about a game that is... what, a decade old? being updated to work with current versions of Mac OS. I'm grateful to get what I'll get and I'm already planning on keeping my Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro just in case.

Message 253 of 4,043 (3,706 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Keep in mind, I'm not expecting much. If it can run on my MacBook Pro without issue, I'll be happy. If it can run for a marathon Sims 3 run without crashing, I'll nominate the dev team for a place of honour on Mt. Herzl.

Message 254 of 4,043 (3,810 Views)

Re: the sims 3 (64-bit & metal) release

★ Apprentice

WE are almost through June and its still not here! Also Sims 4 will not update. It says I can't save to folder pick a new one. what the flip?

Message 255 of 4,043 (3,541 Views)

Re: when will sims 3 Mac be released

★ Apprentice

Getting very frustrated. I have Catalina and cannot play either 3 or 4. Not sure what's going on but its just not right. When I do what it says for 4 it tells me I can't save in folder because its read only?

Message 256 of 4,043 (8,886 Views)

Re: when will sims 3 Mac be released

@Catalina26  For the Sims 4 error, please post in the Sims 4 Mac section.  It would be helpful to post a screenshot of the error, and also to list the full specs of your Mac, as described here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 257 of 4,043 (8,884 Views)

64-Bit Sims 3

★★★ Newbie

When will 64-Bit & Metal Edition for Sims 3 be available??????? I thought it was supposed to be out early 2020, and now its the end of June!! I just bought the Sims 3 again for my new MacBook (as I used to use a family member's computer & origin acct to play) only to find out I can't even install it after just barely buying it!!!!! 

Message 258 of 4,043 (10,905 Views)

★★★ Guide

@MaxisJoe wrote:

Yes, we're still working on it even though we're working from our various homes.

Just reminding everyone that the main reason for the delay is the COVID-19, but that it's still being worked on.

Message 259 of 4,043 (10,887 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA Staff

Hey macOS The Sims 3 players!

Just popping in to give my monthly update to you. First is the tl;dr version:

1. Yes, we're still working on it
  2. Yes, we're adapting to work-from-home. I can't say that this is a core factor in things not going as fast as we'd like, but it sure isn't helping.
  3. Yep, that switch to ARM processors is exciting. Like all macOS developers, we're frantically assessing what this means to us and our games.

The longer version of things:

I'm sure most of you have heard of the 80/20 rule. That's the old developer's truism/joke that 80% of the development happens in the first 20% of the budgeted schedule, and then the remaining 20% of work fills up that other 80% of the budgeted schedule. It's a cheeky way of noting that the big low hanging changes happen quickly but then fiddly detail oriented stuff end up taking really big blocks of time. Guess which part of the schedule we're in. Go ahead. Guess.

Part of the challenge is that some components The Sims 3 depends on were deprecated ("are no longer supported and won't be updated to address compatibility, security, or stability issues") in the intervening decade or so since the game was released. It's been a challenge identifying these components and re-writing the integration points to work with the replacement components. Anyone who says "I migrated from Foobar 5.7.12 to Barfaz 7.12.58 and it only took a day" is not being entirely truthful.

As noted above, these are historical times. We're adapting to doing work in the midst of a global pandemic and a societal reckoning. We're learning new skills and new attitudes across the team and across the company.

No conclusions have been reached about the ARM/x86 transition. WWDC is still happening right now! Give us a chance to digest it all. We're looking at the options available to figure out the best path forward.

Exciting times.

Keep the faith, friends. Stay safe.

--
I am an employee of EA.

Please do not send me private messages unless I ask you to. I promise that you will get help faster in the public forum. Thank you.
Message 260 of 4,043 (10,661 Views)