Re: where are we on the update for sims 3 64 bit????????

by igazor

Original Post

★★★★★ Novice
@VeroniqueBellamy this is absolutely ridiculous! i just bought a MacBook air and i can't play the sims 3 on it??? EA needs to get it together!
Message 241 of 4,043 (2,719 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

While there was plenty of warning that this was going to happen with the macOS, and there was a false start as it was originally supposed to happen with the release of Mojave in 2018 rather than Catalina in late 2019, it's not actually EA's doing. It's Apple that sets the timeline for such backwards compatibility. It's great that EA is taking action to make the game playable on the current macOS again, but technically they don't really have to. For them choosing to do so is a business decision. We don't know all the reasons why it is taking longer than originally announced, but the pandemic changed the way many companies operate and that cannot possibly be helping the process along.

Someday this will happen on Windows too, I mean no one can run 16-bit applications on the current version anymore without special tools to do so. But for 32-bit we think that day has to be a very long way off as Microsoft has made no similar announcements on their end yet.

Message 242 of 4,043 (2,673 Views)

Metal Edition

★★★ Novice

Is The Sims 3 metal edition still coming out for Mac OSX Catalina? It's been almost a year since we've had news and it feels like EA just doesn't care about us Mac players or our money invested.

Message 243 of 4,043 (2,484 Views)

Re: Metal Edition

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide
Message 244 of 4,043 (2,432 Views)

★★ Novice

They are basically going to have to redo the whole entire game so it will also work for future updates of the Mac operating system, We'd rather them take their time redoing the game then rush at it, then itll just be buggy like it used to be before. So, I dont know, you really wanna play it that bad buy a microsoft computer

Message 245 of 4,043 (2,302 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Okay. So, I have some bad news from WWDC 2020 today. Apparently, the rumours I mentioned here before had merit. Apple IS switching the chipset to their own proprietary processors.

The team working on updating TS3 needs to prepare for this. Because some of us old school Mac people remember what happened after Apple made the switch to Intel. Especially when they dropped Rosetta the first time and anything that wasn't a Universal Binary or an Intel-only app broke.

Message 246 of 4,043 (2,097 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I personally think Apple are making a big mistake. These processors are best left for iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches instead of being forced onto Macs. I swear, someone will have to create a petition on Change.org soon to stop the poorly-thought-out transition from going forward. Intel triumphs over ARM on both Mac and Windows, especially on games, case closed.

Message 247 of 4,043 (2,094 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Tragically, I have to agree. I think Apple is making a terrible mistake switching to ARM-based chipsets. I'm just pointing it out so the TS3 team can be aware enough to release a Universal Binary so that an Intel or an Apple Silicon-based computer can run it. This way, it can be as future-proofed as possible given so that it doesn't need as many updates in the future.

Message 248 of 4,043 (2,498 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

We have nothing to worry about. What could possibly go wrong? Quoting from the article linked to,

"Federighi also says that the vast majority of developers can get their apps running in 'a matter of days.'" 

See?

(runs away quickly and hides)

Message 249 of 4,043 (2,479 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Like I said, I remember the consequence of what would happen if an app developer DIDN'T do that. Hell, Neverwinter Nights for the Mac was broken and unplayable from the time Apple dropped Rosetta the first time to the time Beamdog re-released Neverwinter Nights and made it playable on Intel-based Macs.

Message 250 of 4,043 (2,473 Views)