Re: the sims 3 (64-bit & metal) release

by MaxisJoe

Original Post

★★★★ Novice

I literally just bought the sims 3 today and downloaded it only to get the installing error and find out my mac doesn't support the game :/ The announcement is reassuring and based on the promises it should be coming soon but the lack of updates is annoying. I just want to play sims 3 😅

Message 211 of 4,043 (3,854 Views)
Highlighted

EA Staff

Hi The Sims 3 macOS players!

I have no actual news I can report. I know that silence can be frustrating though, so I'll give you something slightly better (though only slightly): my monthly reminder post. Yes, we are still working on this. No, you are not forgotten. No, I don't have a release date I can share at at the moment. Yes, we're still working on it even though we're working from our various homes.

Keep the faith, friends.

--
I am an employee of EA.

Please do not send me private messages unless I ask you to. I promise that you will get help faster in the public forum. Thank you.
Message 212 of 4,043 (3,840 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@MaxisJoe Thanks, Joe!
Message 213 of 4,043 (3,794 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@MaxisJoe Thank you for the update! I am wondering if you guys know if the 64 bit version of The Sims 3 will be the same as the Windows version or will it be the MacOS version that already exists running Natively?

I ask only because I noticed the MacOS version has different graphical settings and limits and wonder if those will stay or will the port be built from scratch - totally understand if it's too early to say Standard smile Thank you for still updating us rather than leaving everyone in the dark!
Message 214 of 4,043 (3,418 Views)

EA Staff
@jackofallgames07 All I can say is what has already been publicly stated: It will be a macOS native application. It will be 64-bit. It will make native use of Apple's graphics technology, Metal. It is our intent to try to address some long-standing issues that have not aged well (call them bugs if you like, though more often it's poor player-facing behavior due to old technologies no longer working correctly rather than having an implementation problem).
--
I am an employee of EA.

Please do not send me private messages unless I ask you to. I promise that you will get help faster in the public forum. Thank you.
Message 215 of 4,043 (3,371 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

Thanks a heap for that point of clarification, @MaxisJoe. I mean, I imagine TS4 is a hell of a lot more native to MacOS than TS3 ever was and I'm hoping that the lessons learned in working on TS4 for the Mac for the last few years provides a sizeable knowledge transfer in building TS3 to be Mac-native.

... Also, that avatar reminds me of the Shaq Cat gif. I know, that's off topic, but I felt it had to be said.

Message 216 of 4,043 (3,059 Views)

the sims 3 for mac

★★★ Novice

When will you guys be able to put the sims 3 for macOS systems 64 bit, I been waiting to play it last year it was said yall would make it available for macOS 64 bit systems in early 2020.

Message 217 of 4,043 (2,896 Views)

Re: the sims 3 for mac

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@Bratzluv Porting an 11 year old game can be hard. Especially since Cider, which is how The Sims 3 ran before is no longer being updated by the creators. It'll take some time, especially with COVID-19 happening and I bet most of the team is working from home, it'll be harder to work on. Give them more time because of all the circumstances happening in the world right now.

Message 218 of 4,043 (3,566 Views)

Re: the sims 3 for mac

★★★★★ Guide

Not to mention that EA is late in releasing things under the best circumstances.

Message 219 of 4,043 (3,154 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Hello @MaxisJoe,

A 64-bit version for Windows is also planned ?

This would balance things out for players and also provide an opportunity to fix many bugs that have been around for a while.

Message 220 of 4,043 (2,345 Views)