Re: sims 3 opens blank screen mac

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

★★ Apprentice

As I mentioned earlier, I do not have an antivirus program. I started thinking and I moved all my saves and custom content (all other files that were needed) to the new Sims 3 folder. I made a sim and played nearly a whole sim day and had no issues other than some custom content not showing up in game and custom content not showing up on my sim when I am far away (I think that has to do with the settings). Regardless, the issue of the glitch is fixed and I think it has something to do with the Sims 3 folder itself because it was showing the blank screen I had to begin with when I tried to open the original Sims 3 folder. 

Message 11 of 12 (284 Views)

@kawaiisizzie  That's why the clean folder is so helpful—it addresses all the issues with the current folder at once.  I thought when you said the glitch had started again that you were still using the new folder, not the old one, but I guess I should have asked for clarification.

Most of the files in your Sims 3 user folder are extraneous and will be recreated as necessary, so you don't really have to worry about moving over the files from your old folder.  Unless you're missing some content you want, for example a saved build or household (in the Library folder) or a sim saved in CAS (in the SavedSims folder), you can just ignore the contents of the old folder entirely.

The custom content issues are likely due to the cc itself, not your settings.  Some content doesn't work properly at all, and other items don't have a low-res version.  So when you're looking at your sims from far away and the game switches to using the low level-of-detail (LOD) images, the cc doesn't show up at all.  You could in theory fix this by editing graphicsrules.sgr to lengthen the distance it takes before the game switches to using low LOD images, but that would bring with it a massive performance hit.  I'd instead use different custom content.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 12 (272 Views)