Re: sims 3 crashes when i go to map

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

sims 3 crashes when i go to map

★★ Apprentice

I have been playing the new sims 3 64 bit on my mac and today I was playing and it was fine up until I went to edit town and it crashes. I tried to play again but I left the edit town alone because I didn't want it to crash again but I can't even use map view because that also crashes. I downloaded some new cc today and I took that out so see if that was the problem as the other days I had no problem and it didn't work. I tried with a completely new sims game because I took out the sims 3 folder and it didn't crash. I then checked another save and it didn't crash. Does anybody know what I could do to fix this problem without abandoning my save?

Message 1 of 7 (1,348 Views)

Accepted Solution

@kawaiisizzie  I can't find anything wrong with your save, at least nothing that would suggest it's corrupt or prone to crashing on its own.  What I did notice though is that it's raining when I load the save, and there are puddles all over the ground in Map View, and a rainbow shows up soon afterwards.  All of this looks very nice but also very hard to render, especially for an integrated graphics chip.

In the interim while I was not finding time to run your save, someone else with similar hardware, actually I think maybe exactly the same hardware as you have, reported crashing while going into Map View as well.  That person also shared a save, and someone else tested it and had no issues running it at all.  So I think this might be about your processor and graphics chip rather than anything to do with your save.

Sims 3 has always been harder to run than it should be, especially on lower settings, and maybe this is an unfortunate manifestation of those unreasonable demands.  I don't really know what to tell you, except maybe you might need to disable rain and snow, or not use Map View during inclement weather.  I know it's really hard to play that way, although zooming out in normal view and edge scrolling or right-clicking to center might help.  Or you could try turning down some of the graphics settings, perhaps visual effects or advanced rendering, and see whether you get the same crashes.

To be honest, I doubt this will be addressed by EA, since it's probably not a simple glitch that can be fixed; I'd guess it would take a significant rewriting of the game, which is likely not on the table.  So whatever approach you take, it's going to need to be about managing the demands of the game as much as possible.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 6 of 7 (1,234 Views)

All Replies

@kawaiisizzie  Please try copying your save into the new Sims 3 folder (it goes in Saves) and see whether it crashes.  Don't copy over any other content.  Since you're copying the folder rather than dragging and dropping it, you don't have to worry about missing content—the original save will be intact in the old folder, and you can experiment freely on the new one.

Message 2 of 7 (1,323 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict I tried to make a whole new sims 3 folder by moving my original onto my desktop and copying my save into the new one and it still crashed whenever I tried to go onto the map view. I didn't copy over any cc or mods.
Message 3 of 7 (1,307 Views)
Highlighted

@kawaiisizzie  Please take a screenshot of your in-game graphics options.  Put the game in windowed mode (cmd-enter) and then hit cmd-shift-4 and drag your cursor over the section of screen you want to capture.

Please also attach the file labeled deviceconfig.log to your post.  It's in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3.  Your user and computer names are about 25 lines down, so remove those if you like, but there's nothing else identifying in the file.  You can edit it with TextEdit.

If you're willing to share your save, I'd love to try it myself.  Upload it to a filesharing site and either post the link here or sent it to me via private message.

Message 4 of 7 (1,289 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict I have just sent you the link including the deviceconfig.log, save file and graphics settings. I would just like to point out again it happened during game randomly, I was able to use the map and edit the town before and I didn't change any settings so I still find it odd
Message 5 of 7 (1,280 Views)

@kawaiisizzie  I can't find anything wrong with your save, at least nothing that would suggest it's corrupt or prone to crashing on its own.  What I did notice though is that it's raining when I load the save, and there are puddles all over the ground in Map View, and a rainbow shows up soon afterwards.  All of this looks very nice but also very hard to render, especially for an integrated graphics chip.

In the interim while I was not finding time to run your save, someone else with similar hardware, actually I think maybe exactly the same hardware as you have, reported crashing while going into Map View as well.  That person also shared a save, and someone else tested it and had no issues running it at all.  So I think this might be about your processor and graphics chip rather than anything to do with your save.

Sims 3 has always been harder to run than it should be, especially on lower settings, and maybe this is an unfortunate manifestation of those unreasonable demands.  I don't really know what to tell you, except maybe you might need to disable rain and snow, or not use Map View during inclement weather.  I know it's really hard to play that way, although zooming out in normal view and edge scrolling or right-clicking to center might help.  Or you could try turning down some of the graphics settings, perhaps visual effects or advanced rendering, and see whether you get the same crashes.

To be honest, I doubt this will be addressed by EA, since it's probably not a simple glitch that can be fixed; I'd guess it would take a significant rewriting of the game, which is likely not on the table.  So whatever approach you take, it's going to need to be about managing the demands of the game as much as possible.

Message 6 of 7 (1,235 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Ok, thank you so much for helping me. I will have to try with lower graphics again and turning off the snow and rain to see if that helps, if not, I guess I can't play and I'll just have to stick with the Sims 4.

Message 7 of 7 (1,225 Views)