recently put sims 4 onto hard drive, screen not loading

by laiimarie

Original Post

Accepted Solution

recently put sims 4 onto hard drive, screen not loading

★★ Novice

Hello everyone!

I recently put The Sims 4 onto my hard drive and it worked, however... the screen is stuck on the loading screen that shows The Sims 4. Nothing is loading, yet music is playing.

I put The Sims 4 into the applications again, but it is not working.

Not sure what to do, any help? 

Message 1 of 11 (1,770 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: recently put sims 4 onto hard drive, screen not loading

@laiimarie

It sounds like a bit of a mess Frown This is where everything should be by default:

The Sims 4 game - should be in Macintosh HD > Users > User > Applications
The Sims 4 Packs - wherever the game is installed to, by default above
The Sims 4 user data (saves etc.) Macintosh HD > Users > User > Documents > Electronic Arts

The Sims 4 user data folder, and the Electronic Arts one if doesn't already exist, are created when you first launch the game. I would suggest reversing the symlink and get your game working in its intended locations first including getting your CC to work. Once it's working then try the symlink again.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 8 of 11 (1,614 Views)

All Replies

@laiimarie

If you move your Sims 4 folder to the desktop and then launch the game, as if it was new, does it work?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 11 (1,723 Views)

★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora i moved the sims 4 pack folder that was in my hard drive and the sims 4 game onto my desk top. now it says “unable to start: the sims 4 is already running”. how do i fix that?
Message 3 of 11 (1,691 Views)

★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora i moved the sims 4 folder, after realizing what you meant, and it still does not work. i still receive the same message. should i redo them sym link?
Message 4 of 11 (1,677 Views)

★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora me again... lol. i ended up erasing my hard drive again as my sims 4 continued to download (in applications this time, instead of into my hard drive!) and i redid them sym link that you spoke about on your site.

my game works now, HOWEVER... i cannot see any of my cc when i am in the main menu. it does not show up at start-up like it used to. how can i fix that, as i already have a lottttt of cc placed into my documents in my electronic arts alias folder?
Message 5 of 11 (1,670 Views)

@laiimarie

Really important to state you've created the symlink as the normal rules of moving the Sims 4 folder do not apply. Symlinks have to be reversed to go back to the default location, this is made really clear in my article.

If you can't see your CC it is because your external is not correctly formatted. The article states which format it should be.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 11 (1,639 Views)

★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora My hard drive is already formatted to Mac Os Extended (Journaled), as stated in your article. Would I have to reformat it again?

When I also reformatted it again to make the game work, I had no EA folders in my documents. I played the game as normal and the game was in my applications, not on the desktop anymore. That is when I created the sym link for my cc.

Do you know where I may have went wrong? Or why I would have to reverse the sym link now?
Message 7 of 11 (1,627 Views)

@laiimarie

It sounds like a bit of a mess Frown This is where everything should be by default:

The Sims 4 game - should be in Macintosh HD > Users > User > Applications
The Sims 4 Packs - wherever the game is installed to, by default above
The Sims 4 user data (saves etc.) Macintosh HD > Users > User > Documents > Electronic Arts

The Sims 4 user data folder, and the Electronic Arts one if doesn't already exist, are created when you first launch the game. I would suggest reversing the symlink and get your game working in its intended locations first including getting your CC to work. Once it's working then try the symlink again.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 11 (1,615 Views)

★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora Yes! This worked.

It took some trial and error when reversing it, but I finally got it to work. If anything else goes wrong, I will let you know, but hopefully it doesn’t.

Thank you so much!
Message 9 of 11 (1,591 Views)

★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora I think I spoke too soon lol.

Everything was working well. I redownloaded cc and put them into the documents > electronic arts > the sims 4 > mods. It was fine.

I decided to test if everything was okay again, considering I just downloaded a lot of cc... turns out, it’s not! It would not let me get onto the sims, because it says “game data is missing or damaged. if you have to remove them and try again. if not, repair or reinstall the sims 4.”

I already tried to repair it - it was the same result.

Is reinstalling my best chance of fixing it or is there anything else I can do?
Message 10 of 11 (1,566 Views)