new

by gddd05

Original Post

Accepted Solution

new

★★★ Newbie

About 5 days ago the Sims 4 had fully downloaded on my macbook air. It worked perfectly fine until today when it said;

'The Sims 4 cannot be opened because of a problem'

Thats it. It wouldn't give me anymore information. Someone told me to go through the files of the app and remove the one in MacOS called the sims 4. I did this and the app disappeared. Now I'm trying to redownload it but every time it says 'Preparing' and then says it will ask me for permission but it never does. Then it just stops downloading altogether.  Then, to make it worse, origin won't quit no matter how many times I force quit it, and now I can't restart my laptop until it quits. Help, please!! 

Message 1 of 4 (476 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: new

@gddd05  I'm not sure how you're trying to force-quit, but hitting command-option-esc and then selecting Origin should do the trick.  If it doesn't, you can force-restart your mac by holding down the power key for a few seconds, although this is not something that should be done regularly.  After you restart, you can run the Origin reset tool for macs.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

Then, make sure that TS4 is not showing in your Applications folder.  If it is, here are Bluebellflora's instructions on how to uninstall the game, taken from her website:

1. In your Applications folder right click on the Sims 4 app and select Show Package Contents.
  2. Navigate to Contents > Mac OS.
  3. Right click on The Sims 4 and select Move to Trash. Don’t drag the file as it will only move an alias and leave the original in place. If there is another file in the folder, The Sims 4.par, leave it alone.
  4. Now open Origin, click on The Sims 4 in your Games Library and click on Download

After you've redownloaded TS4, it's a good idea to move your entire game folder out of Documents and onto your desktop.  Then launch the game again, and a clean folder will spawn.  If you can play a new game in this folder, and everything is working as it should, you can start moving your saves and other content into it form your old folder.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (467 Views)

All Replies

@gddd05  I'm not sure how you're trying to force-quit, but hitting command-option-esc and then selecting Origin should do the trick.  If it doesn't, you can force-restart your mac by holding down the power key for a few seconds, although this is not something that should be done regularly.  After you restart, you can run the Origin reset tool for macs.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

Then, make sure that TS4 is not showing in your Applications folder.  If it is, here are Bluebellflora's instructions on how to uninstall the game, taken from her website:

1. In your Applications folder right click on the Sims 4 app and select Show Package Contents.
  2. Navigate to Contents > Mac OS.
  3. Right click on The Sims 4 and select Move to Trash. Don’t drag the file as it will only move an alias and leave the original in place. If there is another file in the folder, The Sims 4.par, leave it alone.
  4. Now open Origin, click on The Sims 4 in your Games Library and click on Download

After you've redownloaded TS4, it's a good idea to move your entire game folder out of Documents and onto your desktop.  Then launch the game again, and a clean folder will spawn.  If you can play a new game in this folder, and everything is working as it should, you can start moving your saves and other content into it form your old folder.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (468 Views)

Champion

The Sims 4 Folder most people talk about moving is located Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4. Once you move it to your Desktop, DO NOT DELETE IT! This is where your saved games are stored. 

The game will regenerate a new folder once you start up your game to play.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 3 of 4 (456 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Thank you so much, It's working now
Message 4 of 4 (445 Views)