my left shift key is completely broken and now I can't open cheats.

by AmandaJ98

Original Post

Re: Cheats bar will not appear

@rubyharringtonn 

Could you please go into System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys and confirm what options you have in the dropdowns next to:

Caps Lock

Control

Option

Command

Do you have any 3rd party screenshot or video capture apps installed?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 80 of 179 (46,486 Views)

Cheat bar won't open

★★★ Novice

Hii!

I have a problem with the cheat bar in my sims 4 on my mac. I never had a problem opening the cheat bar in sims 3 on the same mac, but for some reason it just won't work for sims 4.. I've tried starting over both my computer and the game, and i've tried looking up other help topics here, but it just doesn't seem like i can find a proper one that will make it work? 

Can any of you help with it? Is there anything i can do or ? 

(I have the Catalina software update, so I can't check if it still works on my sims 3) 

Hope some of you can help! Thank you!

Message 81 of 179 (13,116 Views)

Re: Cheat bar won't open

Champion (Retired)

@Stylikpaylinoran 

Please try this solution offered by @Bluebellflora in an older thread:

Go into System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys and set another key as your CTRL key. 

This issue has nothing to do with a bug or glitch in the game. It is down to one or more of the following:

• Broken CTRL key(s). Connect another keyboard to see if this is the case.
  • 3rd party software that has changed the keyboard mapping, e.g. - screenshot software or video capture software.
  • 3rd party software that is conflicting with the game. Close down any other apps that are running.
  • User changes to the modifer keys in System Preferences. Has someone used your Mac under your user account and changed something without you knowing?
  • The Input Source in System Preferences > Keyboard has been changed to a different language. You could also try adding another language to see if this resolves the issue.

Just to confirm, to bring up the cheat console you type in CTRL, SHIFT and C. It has never been the CMD key. Yes, we normally substitute the CMD key for the CTRL key but not for Sims.

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 82 of 179 (13,084 Views)

Sims 4 cheat screen not working- takes a screenshot instead?

★★★ Newbie

Im on a macbook and  just redownloaded sims 4. I've tried all combos to get the cheat screen up whilst playing but all it does it take screenshots.

I have no other programs interfering in the background and I've clicked repair game.

Help!

Message 83 of 179 (2,400 Views)

Re: Sims 4 cheat screen not working- takes a screenshot instead?

@sneek96

Could you please read this troubleshooting guide for cheat console issues https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 84 of 179 (2,364 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you for your reply but it still does not work. I checked my system preferences and it is all ok and none of them have that shortcode for screenshots. 

Message 85 of 179 (2,353 Views)

@sneek96

Are you making sure your cursor isn't in the search field in build/buy mode when you hold down CTRL, Shift and C? It's easy to do without realising.

You could try repairing your game but this will most likely be something on your Mac and not the game causing the issue.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 86 of 179 (2,347 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi

Yes I checked that and I do not try to access the cheatcode during build and buy so its not that

Message 87 of 179 (2,325 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Me too quit working with update. Control shift key quit working and no longer pulls up cheat window.

Message 88 of 179 (2,921 Views)

Hero
@Dag3 Have you tried all the suggestions on the first page ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 89 of 179 (2,897 Views)