Re: my game loads then glitches out

by Cocoiscute7

Original Post

Accepted Solution

my game loads then glitches out

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

So Yesterday I updated Sims 4 and also bought Sims 4 Get Famous Pack and after they finished downloading I went in the game and saw that it it didn't have my cc and Mods so then I searched 'how to get mods and cc back on sims 4 after updating' and none of them helped so I decided to try doing it myself and moved all the mods and cc to a new folder out of the mods folder then placing them one by one back into the mods folder and testing if they still worked and all of a sudden the game loaded and glitched out of the game like I said in the title so then I moved the mods and cc back out of the mods folder again and tried the game but it still did the same thing so I searched 'how to fix your sims 4 when it loads and doesn't work' and I found this  video showing my problem and so I copied what he did and he said to name the sims 4 folder 'old' and then there will be a new sims 4 folder. So it worked and now its showing the menu but when I tried to go in load game there was no button just the play button and as soon as I pressed it it had 2 options saying ' I've played sims before(Skip Tutorial) and Do the tutorial, I left the game in confusion, I said to myself 'did I just delete all my data?!' but then I saw a video saying how to get your data back on a new sims 4 folder, so I followed it and copied all the important things like 'Saves, Events. ini, Tray, Screenshots ect... and then I tried the game and it did the loading problem again (this is the 3rd time!) so I'm currently stuck now and don't know what to do, I searched thru this website and most of the questions and answers were close to mine but still not very close. 

Could anyone help me please! Frown              I have a Mac By the way

Message 1 of 44 (907 Views)

Accepted Solution

@Cocoiscute7

Your Mods folder should always be moved out of the Sims 4 folder before patching. Some mods need updating after game patches as they are no longer compatible and can cause issues with the game playing or loading. This November patch was huge and had a significant impact on script mods. There is a sticky on this Mac forum about the patch - https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/Sims-4-November-patch-What-you-need-to-know/m-p/7165549#M1499...

After a major patch, CC and Mods will be disabled in the game settings. You must enable them again manually in the options window. This is why you could not see any of your CC.

Moving the whole Sims 4 folder is a basic troubleshooting step. When you next launch the game the folder is recreated with none of your content in it. The game will be like new again. If the game successfully launches then you know that something in your original Sims 4 folder is causing the issue, most probably incompatible CC/Mods but it could also be a corrupted save or cache files. 

By moving everything from your old Sims 4 folder into the new folder you're just copying back the cause of the issue. Instead, you move over your screenshots, saves and tray folders then launch the game to see if it works. If it does, quit without saving then gradually move back small batches of CC, loading the game after adding each batch to see if it works. When your game stops working you know you have incompatible CC in the last batch so move it out then add the CC from that batch individually, again testing each time.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 2 of 44 (893 Views)

All Replies

@Cocoiscute7

Your Mods folder should always be moved out of the Sims 4 folder before patching. Some mods need updating after game patches as they are no longer compatible and can cause issues with the game playing or loading. This November patch was huge and had a significant impact on script mods. There is a sticky on this Mac forum about the patch - https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/Sims-4-November-patch-What-you-need-to-know/m-p/7165549#M1499...

After a major patch, CC and Mods will be disabled in the game settings. You must enable them again manually in the options window. This is why you could not see any of your CC.

Moving the whole Sims 4 folder is a basic troubleshooting step. When you next launch the game the folder is recreated with none of your content in it. The game will be like new again. If the game successfully launches then you know that something in your original Sims 4 folder is causing the issue, most probably incompatible CC/Mods but it could also be a corrupted save or cache files. 

By moving everything from your old Sims 4 folder into the new folder you're just copying back the cause of the issue. Instead, you move over your screenshots, saves and tray folders then launch the game to see if it works. If it does, quit without saving then gradually move back small batches of CC, loading the game after adding each batch to see if it works. When your game stops working you know you have incompatible CC in the last batch so move it out then add the CC from that batch individually, again testing each time.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 44 (894 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Thank You for helping me, so do I now move all the cc and mods in the mods folder on the new sims 4 file and also move the other files from my old sims 4 file on the new one to another place then add a few at a time or add just what u said and see if my game works, then if it does I will add a small batch of mods. Is that what you said? Can u approve of this reply.          Thanks-Cocoiscute7.   

(I live in Australia so it might take a while for you to get my reply)

Message 3 of 44 (860 Views)

@Cocoiscute7

Move your old saves and Tray folder into the new Sims 4 folder that the game has created, then load the game to see if it works. Quit without saving if it loads successfully. Now add in your CC in small batches at a time, loading the game to see if it still works. When it stops working you know that you have one or more incompatible items in the last batch you added so take it out and add piece by piece, again testing to see if your game will load.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 44 (854 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
I just tried it, I took out the screenshots, cahewebkit, Recorded Videos, cachestr, Custom Music and onlinethumbnailcahe and just left saves and (my) Tray.
It still does not work Frown ! Am I doing this wrong? (sorry I took so long to reply)
Message 5 of 44 (806 Views)

@Cocoiscute7

You took them out of where? You should be moving your Saves and Tray folders into the newly created Sims 4 folder in Documents > Electronic Arts. This folder is recreated when you move the existing one out to your desktop.

When you moved out the files and folders you mentioned, what did you do with your Mods folder? Because that is the folder causing the issue by the sounds of it.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 44 (791 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
First thing: I removed all those folders listed in my last reply out of my new sims 4 folder (Those folders where my old sims 4 folders kept in my new sims 4 folder) Second Thing: I didn't do anything to my mods folder besides taking the cc and mods out of it until I know what to do. So right now my mods folder in the new sims 4 file is empty.
Message 7 of 44 (782 Views)

@Cocoiscute7

If you move everything out again and let the game regenerate another new Sims 4 folder, does it work? Sounds like a bit of a mish mash of files and folders at the moment! Just make sure you have your saves safely stored somewhere.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 44 (759 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
ill try then tell u what happens
Message 9 of 44 (742 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
I did the same thing as before (renaming the sims 4 file 'old') and a new sims 4 file isn't showing up
Message 10 of 44 (697 Views)