❗️macOS Monterey and new Sims 4 update - crashing problems

by jealth16

Original Post

Highlighted

❗️macOS Monterey and new Sims 4 update - crashing problems

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I have just updated my Mac OS system to Monterey. Today I went to play the Sims 4 and was also prompted to update the game. Since doing this I have tried to play 4 times and each time the game has frozen and crashed - the first time it crashed half way through create a sim, the second time towards the start of create a sim, then earlier and earlier until now I can't even get past the first loading page to get to the menu. 

I have restarted my computer and tried to look into how to fix this sort of bug but as this seems to be linked to the two updates (perhaps they are not compatible?) I don't want to risk doing anything that will delete files from my game etc. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 60 (11,852 Views)

Re: macOS Monterey and new Sims 4 update - crashing problems

@jealth16 

Follow these steps to launch a new clean game - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting...

How is it? Which exact model Mac do you have?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 60 (11,744 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thanks, I'll take a look and give that a try...

Mine is a MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020) 8 GB memory and Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB

Message 3 of 60 (11,737 Views)

@jealth16

Thanks, it's not the M1 freezing issue which is good.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 4 of 60 (11,735 Views)

★★ Novice

did you figure it out??? im having trouble

Message 5 of 60 (11,571 Views)

★★★ Novice

I’m also having this issue with the new OS Monterey. I had to uninstall and reinstall sims 4 to update my OS so it’s a blank slate in terms of what’s in the sims 4 folders. I have no mods or cc please tell me someone has worked this issue out

Message 6 of 60 (11,477 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I'm unsure at the moment. I played last night and it seemed to work fine throughout so fingers crossed.

Here is what I did (although I don't know if it's what made the difference) -

1. I was having issues with my Safari too so I cleared all caches and cookies from my web browser.

2. Re-login to Origin.

3. Repaired Sims 4 in Origin as per Bluebellflora's suggestion

4. Force quit Origin. 

5. Restarted computer.

I still couldn't work out how to disable Origin in game as was suggested to me. I also have no mods/CC.

Hopefully it was/is just a case of Origin/The Sims catching up with the software update.

Message 7 of 60 (11,431 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA Sims Team

Hello @jealth16 @emcandIe @Elli359 

Do any of you happen to have a lastCrash.txt that was recently created in \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\ ?

If so, could you send that to me?

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 8 of 60 (11,361 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

No I don't sorry. My games don't actually crash more so they freeze after about five minutes of actually being in a sim world i.e. not in cas or in a loading screen. It doesn't unfreeze and just gives me the spinning loading wheel of death until i eventually just force quit the sims.

I've never had this issue before (except for the odd once or twice but it's never consistently), it's only started happening once I updated my mac to the Monterey OS.

Message 9 of 60 (11,349 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Elli359 Yeah this is what was happening to me too… seems inconsistent now, sometimes it does this, sometimes it doesn’t which is rubbish.
Message 10 of 60 (11,325 Views)