Re: lost mods folder

by sarahelizabethcr

Original Post

Accepted Solution

lost mods folder

★★ Novice

I haven't played The Sims 3 for a couple of months now, and I decided to download some CC and load my game up, only when I went to move the CC over into my mods file it's gone. I've searched and cannot find it anywhere, I've tried searching for specific overrides or packages that I know are in there and they are also not showing up. However, when I open the game and start on my most recent save file, all of my mods and CC are still in the game and work perfectly, despite not showing up in any of my files. 

I'm currently playing on a Macbook Air running Catalina 10.15.6, with the most recent version of Origin (10.5.92.46430). I remember having issues creating a mods folder and using the launcher when I first installed the game late last year after 64bit was released, so I ended up creating the mods folder by accessing the file pathway that displayed the components of the launcher (I have no idea if this makes sense but I don't know how else to describe it!).

I've never had an issue with the mods in the game before, they've always worked perfectly. I'm not sure whether this is an issue caused when I've run CleanMyMac but again, I've never had a problem with that before. I remember in the past having more than one 'The Sims 3' folder so I'm wondering if the duplicates have been deleted or corrupted. I've attached some screenshots that hopefully show what I mean a little bit clearer. 

Message 1 of 3 (351 Views)

Accepted Solution

@sarahelizabethcr  The Mods folder won't show up in a Spotlight search; neither will the Sims 3 user folder or any of its contents.  The folder in your first screenshot should be left alone—Origin uses it for its own purposes.

To find the Mods folder, you need to open the version of Documents > Electronic Arts that's on your hard drive.  It sounds like you may be looking in your iCloud Drive instead, which often happens by default when you have iCloud enabled.  To make sure you're in the right place, open a Finder window and click Macintosh HD (or whatever you've renamed your hard disk) in the left panel, then open Users > [your username] > Documents etc.  If you don't see your hard disk listed, click Finder in the upper left corner of the screen, then Preferences > Sidebar, and check the box next to hard disks.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (336 Views)

All Replies

@sarahelizabethcr  The Mods folder won't show up in a Spotlight search; neither will the Sims 3 user folder or any of its contents.  The folder in your first screenshot should be left alone—Origin uses it for its own purposes.

To find the Mods folder, you need to open the version of Documents > Electronic Arts that's on your hard drive.  It sounds like you may be looking in your iCloud Drive instead, which often happens by default when you have iCloud enabled.  To make sure you're in the right place, open a Finder window and click Macintosh HD (or whatever you've renamed your hard disk) in the left panel, then open Users > [your username] > Documents etc.  If you don't see your hard disk listed, click Finder in the upper left corner of the screen, then Preferences > Sidebar, and check the box next to hard disks.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (337 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict for some reason when I looked through my hard drive files last night and this morning there was still no sign of it, only my Sims 4 files, but now I've just restarted my Mac and all of a sudden it's there! how bizarre... thanks so much. puts the hours i spent yesterday looking for them into perspective 🤣
Message 3 of 3 (314 Views)