Re: installing .package files on my mac Big Sur

by rayna_m5

Original Post

Accepted Solution

installing .package files on my mac Big Sur

★★★ Novice

Hi guys I've just downloaded sims 3 on my mac but I'm struggling to see them in my game. in my documents, I created a mods folder and but the resources file and a package folder, and an override folder.  I'm doing something wrong, why cant I see the files in my game?

since I discovered that the package files don't show up I removed all packages and just left these two which are shown in so many guides online.  

I'm hoping I've missed a tiny step and its fixable and i can play with package files  *fingers crossed*

Message 1 of 5 (722 Views)

Accepted Solution

@rayna_m5  There are a couple reasons I can think of that deleting the cache files would work now and not before.  One is that your iCloud Drive is syncing with the Documents directory on your hard drive, and maybe it was restoring old copies of the cache files that you wanted gone.  The usual solution is to stop the auto-syncing of Documents; you can still manually upload any files you want.

Regardless of the cause, it's good to hear that your .package files are working.  Let me know if you need any help getting other content to show up in-game.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 5 of 5 (677 Views)

All Replies

@rayna_m5  Did you delete the five cache files in your Sims 3 user folder?  (It's the same one where you add the mods.)  The scriptCache file is the only one that matters for mods, but you may need to delete the others for .package-based custom content to load.  Many of us delete these files anyway whenever we quit the game.  For reference, they are:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

Please let me know whether nointro and NoBuildSparkles work in-game.  If they do, try adding just one more mod or cc item and deleting the cache files again.

If the two mods don't work, please right-click on one, select Get Info, copy the file path (under "where"), and paste it here.  You can write [username] instead of your actual username, but please leave the rest of the file path intact.

Message 2 of 5 (705 Views)

★★★ Novice

Unfortunately removing the cache didn't help 

the file path is 

/Users/[username]/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages 

Message 3 of 5 (700 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

i just decided to try it again and it worked. thank you so much. I'm so confused I've been doing that for days and it's only worked now. thank you so much

Message 4 of 5 (695 Views)

@rayna_m5  There are a couple reasons I can think of that deleting the cache files would work now and not before.  One is that your iCloud Drive is syncing with the Documents directory on your hard drive, and maybe it was restoring old copies of the cache files that you wanted gone.  The usual solution is to stop the auto-syncing of Documents; you can still manually upload any files you want.

Regardless of the cause, it's good to hear that your .package files are working.  Let me know if you need any help getting other content to show up in-game.

Message 5 of 5 (678 Views)