helper tool password

by lyndsy123

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[Mac] Permission to install Helper Tool error - 2018

[ Edited ]

Issue:

When attempting to install Origin a window pops up prompting the user to enter their user name and password to install a helper tool. Once entered the window keeps popping up in a never ending cycle, seemingly unable to verify the details:

OriginHelperTool.png

Explanation:

As part of the installation process Origin requests permission to save a helper tool file in the Macintosh HD > Library > LaunchDaemons and Macintosh HD > Library > PrivilegedHelperTools folders (NOT the user 's Library folder). The user name and password information entered should be your Mac user account details, not your Origin user name and password. Your Mac user account must be an Administrator account to grant the permissions needed to save the files.

This was previously an issue for users running OS X Mountain Lion. It was a known bug and was fixed in a subsequent update to Origin.

Suggestions:

• Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups and make sure your user account is an Admin account. If it is not you need to ask whoever has control of the admin account to install Origin for you:

Mac User Accounts.png

• Try the Terminal command posted in the Accepted Solution on the previous thread running for this issue - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Permission-Required-Helper-Tool-Error-Mac/m-p/4917270#M17...
  • Create a new admin user account on your Mac and see if you can successfully download and install Origin in that account.
  • Reinstall your operating system. This may seem extreme but you may have corrupted or missing files and permissions which could be causing this error.
  • If you have run any apps recently that claim to clean up your Mac of files you don't need, please reinstall your operating system. These apps can be notoriously harmful and can remove files that they shouldn't resulting in operating system instability. To reinstall your version of macOS simply open the App Store, download the OS and install it to your hard drive. Make sure you back up your Mac beforehand!

If you are still experiencing this issue please post in this thread. Before you post, please open the LaunchDaemons and PrivilegedHelperTools folders and check to see if the following files are there:

LaunchDaemons > com.ea.origin.ESHelper.plist

PrivilegedHelperTools > com.ea.origin.ESHelper

They won't be if you are experiencing this issue. Please also confirm which version of macOS you are running.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 20 of 196 (64,352 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [Mac] Permission to install Helper Tool error - 2018

[ Edited ]

In order to try and fix this, EA have provided us with a script which, when run, will create a text file that can be uploaded here and aid them with their troubleshooting.

If you are experiencing the Permission Helper Tool error please download the script, double click on it to open and follow the instructions in the dialogue window that pops up.

Download - https://download.dm.origin.com/download/Origin+Installation+Troubleshooter.app.zip

Please attach the .txt file to your message on this thread. A full explanation is available, here:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

(marking this as the solution for visibility - BluebellFlora)

AHQSigImage.png

View in thread

Message 89 of 196 (90,789 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

helper tool password

★★★ Newbie

what is the helper tool password for my mac????

Message 1 of 196 (84,342 Views)

Re: helper tool password

EA Staff

@lyndsy123 That should be the same password that you use to log in to your computer.

Message 2 of 196 (84,265 Views)

★★★ Newbie

My computer doesn't have a login password and i don't know what password to use. please help

Message 3 of 196 (84,255 Views)

★★ Novice

I tried my computer password for the helper tool and that did not work....help please

Message 5 of 196 (84,095 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@JF521

The password that you have to input on the helper tool is your system password. Try changing your system password and seeing whether you are able to use the tool with the new password then.

If the issue persists, do you get any specific error messages?

Message 6 of 196 (92,836 Views)

★★★ Newbie

whats the system pass

Message 7 of 196 (80,601 Views)

@Pho_135

The user account password for your Mac. You must have a user account with Administrator rights to install the helper tool.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 196 (80,583 Views)

★★★ Newbie

it did not work i need help i have been trying to figure out this part for 2 * hours!!!

Message 9 of 196 (76,172 Views)