Re: Cube mapping issues on CC with specular

by anthonyjalan

Original Post

Re: graphics issue with any reflective/shiny surface

@ajduckie @Hephaestion02 @Shh-speechless 

I ended up replacing the cube map texture with a simple black 128x128 PNG in S4S and it fixed the issue, I'm back to a normal TV again. 

01-12-20_9:09:11 PM.png

I replaced this:

cube.png

with this:

cube2.png

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 31 of 67 (19,425 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

hey guys - sorry i've been a little inactive the past couple days - just got a chance to look more closely at some of the earlier messages! 

@Hephaestion02 the sunlight issue you mentioned - i'm experiencing that one as well. not sure if it's in any way related, but it's appearing in my game just like you described. it hasn't been at the top of my list to look into because it's limited to like certain small surfaces that are in shadow during the afternoon... plus i've only been in build/buy lately so i just shift the time of day setting and have been ignoring it. 

also - not sure what exactly caused the issue to "spread" to maxis objects/textures for me... it just happened when I decided to leave the 3 cc televisions in my game despite having them show the glitch on their screens. after a few days, the glitch just showed up on everything.. then I removed the televisions and at that point it stayed limited to particular objects. 

@Bluebellflora thanks for this! i'm going to try it out on some of the CC objects I had an issue with, especially the items by Peacemaker and LittleDica. If there's anything that I apply this method to that still shows up in-game with the glitch, I'll report back with more details! 

Additionally, I've been in touch with LittleDica about the issue, since they are pretty well-versed in this technical stuff, and they've given me some steps to try that might help shed more light on the situation! Will let you guys know when I have a chance to check it out!

Message 32 of 67 (3,062 Views)

Cube mapping issues on CC with specular

★★★★ Novice

All custom content with specular has issues with cube mapping. In game, little white dots appear on the screens that are supposed to be shiny. This seems to be an issue specific to Mac. I've reached out to the creators and there's nothing they can do on their end. I've also tried adjusting the graphic settings with no improvement. The bug happens with and without other mods/custom content installed.

Running on:

macOS Catalina 10.15.5

Macbook Pro 16inch 2019

2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 Memory

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

I would really love to use this beautiful custom content in my game! 

Message 33 of 67 (2,879 Views)

@anthonyjalan

I've merged your post into this ongoing thread. You need to replace the cube map, please see the solution on page 1 for more info.

It's not EA's problem, it's most likely a driver issue with the Apple AMD drivers.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 34 of 67 (2,849 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Unfortunately that just gives the TV screens a matte black surface instead of the nice shine that the regular base game TVs have.

If it’s an AMD driver issue, wouldn’t the issue be replicated on the other TVs? Why is only the CC affected? 

Message 35 of 67 (2,840 Views)

@anthonyjalan

No idea but I know I prefer the matte black rather than the white dots.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 36 of 67 (2,809 Views)

★ Apprentice

I see you guys are still having issues with it. It's like a cancer in my game. I tried the cube replacement and it fixed the box like graphic but made a worse glitch. Sadly, I'm not tech savvy enough fo any of this. But here are my specs and yeah, I ave a bunch of CC

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

Processor 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

Memory 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Graphics 

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Message 37 of 67 (2,696 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Message 38 of 67 (2,586 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Message 39 of 67 (2,459 Views)

@RouenSims

It's not just that item as it's happening to users who don't have it.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 40 of 67 (2,449 Views)