Re: graphics issue with any reflective/shiny surface

by ajduckie

Original Post

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Bluebellflora 

That's the problem that I'm not understanding - it shouldn't even be possible... but I tried it again last night with three different tests: one with a repaired game, one with a brand new game folder, and one with a full uninstall/reinstall. For each test I put absolutely nothing in my game except the Peacemaker Caine Living TV (fresh download from Peacemaker, as the package file isn't in my mods folder anymore anyways since the start of this problem). No mods, cc, saves, or tray files. Loaded up the game, started a new save, loaded a lot, and placed the Caine TV, and the glitch showed up. For each of the three tests I tried this process twice - once by loading into live mode, then entering build/buy, and once by loading directly to build/buy from the map view.

I'm absolutely stumped.. because you're right - using the same steps we should be able to reproduce the issue and find common denominators. But so far, the only common denominators are that we're running The Sims 4 on Mac and that the problem starts by appearing on CC objects.. beyond that, it's a mystery to me.

By the way, I also posted on S4S forums last night with some details and a link back to the thread here. Didn't want to repeat everything in case I was posting the message in the wrong thread/board at first, or in case posting the same super long thread on two different forums is considered bad etiquette. Either way, no one has replied yet, but I'm hoping that because there are a good deal of CC-creators over there, someone may have a clue about what might be going on. Especially because LittleDica and Peacemaker themselves both seem to be pretty familiar with the mechanics of cube maps, according to the threads I've found over there (the one you linked as well as another where Peacemaker gave some advice to another creator about a cube map issue).

Anyways, I'm going to go in game and do more testing with the variables you mentioned in your second message. So far, I've gotten the glitch when quitting the game from build/buy as well as live mode. But I'm going to lay out a few more tests to try to isolate the different variables that could be affecting the issue, and I'll go from there and report back. 

Also did some exploring in S4S last night, taking a look through the warehouse tab at the resources associated with the package files of Peacemaker's Caine TV and a base-game EA TV. Didn't find any differences that jumped out at me as clues, but I can keep looking at some of the other objects that have appeared with the glitch and maybe I'll find something worth noting.

Last, just wanted to make sure you know how grateful I am that you've been working so hard to help me with this problem. It's certainly not an easy one, and it means a lot that you're spending your time helping me figure this out. Your work is deeply deeply appreciated, seriously. Not just with this case, but with all the work you do on the forums here.

Message 21 of 67 (2,458 Views)

@ajduckie

Thanks *blushing*, I enjoy it Standard smile

Let's see if anyone comes up with anything else, at least it's not a game breaker.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 22 of 67 (2,428 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Bluebellflora 

Yeah, despite the frustration I've tried to remind myself that I'm lucky my game at least can start up and run! Standard smile

Message 23 of 67 (2,423 Views)

@ajduckie 

So...... I've just updated to Catalina from Mojave and now I'm getting the same as you:

01-09-20_9:48:24 PM.png

Definitely a CC issue and looking like just a Mac issue. We need someone with an NVIDIA GPU and someone with an Intel chip to test too Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 24 of 67 (2,400 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Hi guys,

I first experienced this same issue after the pre University patch (12.11.19? Although I didn't patch due to the cc related issues until mid dec). It appeared immediately after patching when I loaded an apartment lot, As described by @ajduckie its appeared as a pattern of dots on a custom content wall and television. For me it appears on almost all cc televisions, a few cc computers and some cc wallpapers (I have a lot of cc 60Gb!).

01-11-20_9:25:26 PM.png

01-11-20_9:26:22 PM.png

12-31-19_7:25:11 PM.png

I haven't, so far, encountered the glitch on windows or refrigerators as @ajduckie has. Today when testing I experienced lines appearing (that move when you rotate / move the camera, like the dot pattern) on custom flooring and when I built a room to investigate the same glitch appeared on the maxis default wallpaper! This is a new glitch and only appeared today, or at least I only noticed it today. 

01-11-20_9:35:37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 8.47.50 pm 2.png

01-11-20_9:42:09 PM.png

Another graphic issue I've ran into (can't remember when I first noticed it as it only effects a few objects) is lines that appear on objects in full sunlight (both inside and outside). Although I don't believe its directly related to the specular map issue. 

01-12-20_12:03:09 AM.png

My specs are similar to @ajduckie's:

- iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)

- 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

- 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

- Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

- 1TB Storage 800GB available

- Catalina v 10.15.2

Hope somewhere out there finds a fix!

H x 

[edited to include images in post]

Message 25 of 67 (2,342 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have the same issue 😤

At first I thought it was because I hadn’t updated my game, so I did so, but the problem continued, I get the dots on walls and also cc tv etc.

Now I haven’t played since I updated to Catalina so I have a feeling it has something to do with combination of game being run on Catalina, as my game was fine before I upgraded from Mojave and it was also fine before updating game with the last patch which I only did yesterday because I thought that lack of letting it update was causing the issue(had origin offline so It couldn’t update). I Have also tried everything, and nothing works...super frustrated as putting me off playing 😔

Thats on:

IMac retina 5k, 27inch, Late 2015

3.2 GHz Quad Core Intel Core i5

16GB memory

AMD Radeon R9 M390 2GB graphics

Message 26 of 67 (2,352 Views)

@Shh-speechless @Hephaestion02 @ajduckie

Quick update. I managed to test this on a 2017 13" MacBook Pro yesterday with Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 running Mojave. The glitches were not there.

I'm hoping to test on my old Mac with NVIDIA GPU tomorrow so I'll update again.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 27 of 67 (2,331 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Shh-speechless @Hephaestion02 @Bluebellflora 

thanks so much for everyone’s specs and testing! Thanks to all the testing/comparing it looks like it’s a problem for cc-using Mac players running Catalina with AMD GPUs. Has anyone else seen the issue spread to non-CC items like I did? For me, putting the CC televisions or those fridges in my game leads to the effect appearing on all shiny surfaces still, EA included. But as long as I keep those larger CC items out, the effect only appears on a piece of CC here or there. Are you guys playing with the affected CC still in your games or have you removed it?

Message 28 of 67 (2,307 Views)

@ajduckie

It also affects Mojave but the glitch looks different and only happens when the game starts in Live mode. That is really specific.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 29 of 67 (2,305 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I had the issue spread to the maxis default wallpapers, the drywall? 

01-11-20_9:38:21 PM.png

Today I'll try the 50/50 method to see which objects spread the glitch. Do you have a list of which cc affect your game?

I'm still playing with everything as I can't bear to remove any of it!

Message 30 of 67 (2,286 Views)