Re: graphics issue with any reflective/shiny surface

by ajduckie

Original Post

@ajduckie

It's ok Standard smile

Move out the Mods folder, trash the localthumbcache file, launch the game then quit so a new Mods folder is created, then move all Peacy's CC back in and see if it still happens.

Yes I am on Athena's Discord but you're more likely to find me here or on my site Standard smile

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 11 of 67 (2,745 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Will do that now! I'll also go ahead and try the same thing out with the LittleDica items, separately of course. And by the way, I have indeed been trashing my localthumbcache file after every launch/quit, just to be safe!

I'll let you know what I find Standard smile

Message 12 of 67 (2,733 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Bluebellflora 

Darn. Did as you said, but I'm still getting the effect, even with absolutely no CC in my game except for Peacemaker's Caine Living television, Inspire Desktop PC, and Inspire Laptop (Vara Office Set). See pictures below.

Tried different lighting settings, angles, etc. No luck. Frown

Attaching three photos here. One of the Caine TV, one of the Caine TV and the Inspire Desktop PC, and one of the Desktop PC super close up, because as I said in a previous, the effect showing on that one is relatively newly noticed, and it's VERY subtle right now.

The effects shift and come in and out of view as I pan the camera angle. No changes from lighting adjustments.

Let me know what you think..

Message 13 of 67 (2,723 Views)

@ajduckie

Sigh...

How about with a completely new, clean game folder? Or maybe set up a new user account on your Mac and try in that one?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 14 of 67 (2,702 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Yeah, I tried the new, clean game folder when I did the full uninstall/reinstall. And I've got my TS4/Origin apps in my main Applications folder, rather than my user Applications folder, so the new user thing wouldn't work I don't think. I did set up a Test User when I was troubleshooting with an Apple rep but we didn't see any differences in the issues I was having. 

I could always do another uninstall/reinstall, plus a SMC reset and then try again.

What's frustrating me is just not understanding the issue. It helps that I can tell it's a problem with the cube maps, so I'm so happy you linked that post. At least now I have the right terminology for what I'm seeing. But I just don't understand what's happening with those cube maps - if they're multiplying, if it's a problem with the cube map resources within the package files of the CC I'm having problems with, or if it's a problem with how the game itself is reading/rendering those cube maps. Because you haven't been able to replicate the issue with Peacemaker's CC, and because he's such a trusted creator, I'd guess that it's a problem with how the game itself is rendering cube maps. But that doesn't explain why the effect is more visible on certain objects over others...

Message 15 of 67 (2,695 Views)

@ajduckie

A new user account generates a new Library folder for that user, it’s always a good troubleshooting step and requires little effort.

As the problem is CC related I’m not sure how a SMC reset would fix it? The issue is with specific files on your Mac and they will still be there Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 16 of 67 (2,651 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Bluebellflora

the thing is, i don't think we can be entirely sure that it's actually just a case of some bad cc... because previously, everything worked fine in my game, including the items that are now being rendered improperly. when this issue appeared, updates and hotfixes were the only things to have changed about my game.. no new cc or mods. additionally, the 50/50 process pointed me repeatedly to those five items by Peacemaker and LittleDica, so those items should be the bad cc, but we're pretty much positive that those items themselves aren't broken because they're working for other people.. 

so i guess i'm confused about why those items, without ANY other cc or mods in my game, aren't appearing properly for me when they appear fine for other people.. we've established that it's not a hardware issue by monitoring my gpu/cpu during gameplay

to me, it looks like the game is failing to properly render cube maps. instead of the normal proper cube map, i'm getting a grid of lots and lots of little cube maps?

Message 17 of 67 (2,621 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Bluebellflora 

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if those items by Peacemaker are appearing with the glitch, with a brand new reinstalled game and absolutely no CC or mods, then the problem should theoretically be with those items by Peacemaker. But we established that those items aren't broken... so I don't understand how it could be a problem with a file on my computer if the issue appeared with absolutely no files other than the Peacemaker ones in a completely fresh game folder?

Message 18 of 67 (2,620 Views)

@ajduckie

But if what you're saying is true then all of us Mac users with the same GPU as you, running the same version of macOS, would be experiencing the issue and we're not. I have tried to repeatedly reproduce your issue over the last few days and I can't. I've tried on 3 different Macs running Catalina, Mojave and High Sierra. You can send me a save if you like and I can test it in my game?

For CC issues you really are much better off posting at S4S or similar 3rd party sites about 3rd party content.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 19 of 67 (2,572 Views)

@ajduckie 

Success! It finally happened in my game on a CC TV:

01-07-20_8:07:41 PM.png

I also discovered what I think is causing it.... If you quit the game in Live Mode, paused or unpaused it doesn't matter, the next time you open it and load the household it is unpaused and the glitch occurs. If you quit the game in Build/Buy mode the game is paused when you next load it and the glitch doesn't occur. Can you try that and let me know if it's the same for you?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 20 of 67 (2,559 Views)