crashing when visiting party destination

by horangikkot

Original Post

crashing when visiting party destination

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Sorry if there is already a thread for this, I haven't used HQ before. I play Sims 3 64 bit on MacOS BigSur, 2.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB. Although it does crash randomly sometimes I've been able to play well for some months. This week I threw a birthday party and one of the guests invited me to his own party towards the end. When I take my sims to his flat, the game crashes. I've only been able to reach the lobby but going in to map mode also triggers a crash. I removed all mods, repaired the game, removed caches and it still happens. I attached the deviceconfig file if that's useful?

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 1 of 12 (818 Views)

Re: crashing when visiting party destination

@horangikkot  The feature where inactive sims host a party is broken and has been for a long time, maybe since it was introduced.  It shouldn't crash your game though.  Does the game also crash if your sim visits the apartment when there isn't a party going on?  What packs do you you currently have installed?  And does the game always crash when going to Map View, or just when this party is happening?

It sounds like you might be playing in Bridgeport, but let me know if not.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 12 (795 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yeah, I'm playing in Bridgeport. My packs are Ambitions, Pets, Generations, Into the Future, Late Night and Seasons. I haven't had problems with map view for any other flat, it only crashes when I zoom in on the flat where the party is going to be held and then go back into map view. If I stay in game it crashes as soon as my sim gets to his floor. I haven't really had party issues previously, usually there are balloons on the home icon but this time there weren't, I don't know if that's relevant. I will try visiting him without a party.

Message 3 of 12 (791 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I tried to ignore the party so that I could visit the lot afterwards, but entering maps from anywhere now with the party active causes a crash. I went to move him out of his flat from edit town mode and it also crashed when I clicked on his home profile.

Message 4 of 12 (784 Views)

@horangikkot  It's possible this issue will disappear once the party is over, but just in case, please use "save as" and rename the save, so you have your original as backup.  Once the party is over, save (again if necessary) under the new name, quit, delete the five cache files in your Sims 3 user folder in Documents > Electronic Arts, reload, and see whether the game behaves.  For reference, the files are:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

If you still get a crash in Map View after reloading, try loading the previous save instead.  If that doesn't work either, load the previous save's backup version.  In ... The Sims 3 > Saves, you'll see a folder with your save name and another with the save name plus a .backup extension (e.g. Bridgeport.sims 3 and Bridgeport.sims3.backup).  Rename the save and delete the .backup extension (e.g. Bridgeport1.sims3), and it'll be available to load from the Main Menu.

Message 5 of 12 (771 Views)

★★★ Novice

I managed to revert to a backup and ignore the party, so at least that works! Thanks for your help Standard smile

Message 6 of 12 (754 Views)

★★★ Novice

Ah sorry actually I tried these suggestions and it happened again. I can't travel anywhere if I've been invited to a party, I just have to stay home and ignore it to avoid a crash.

Message 7 of 12 (746 Views)

@horangikkot  You can try evicting putting back the other household that's hosting the party.  If you do this in one Edit Town session, the sims should keep their jobs and relationships.

Otherwise, would you like me to take a look at your save?  I'm not sure what's going on, and at this point I'd just be throwing out random suggestions.  But I'd be happy to test myself and see whether I can reproduce it.  If you want me to look, zip the save folder, upload it to the free filehosting site of your choice, and either link it here or send me the link via PM.

If you don't want to share your save, and evicting the household doesn't help, please let me know whether you use mods or would be willing to try a few.

Message 8 of 12 (736 Views)

★★★ Novice

Sure, you can look at my save, thanks! I do use some mods, although they don't seem to be causing the problem. It's mostly CC and nraas mods. I thought maybe the problem was with this one guy specifically since the game crashed when I tried to evict him, but when I was invited to a different party by a different sim when playing a different household, it also crashed. I didn't plan to attend but when travelling the game crashed. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cpkjo7jmmgl1k6f/jk.sims3.zip?dl=0 

Message 9 of 12 (722 Views)

@horangikkot  I'll download the save and take a look in a couple hours.  One question though: what's inside the Packages folder in your screenshot?  If those mods are only within Mods, and not inside Mods > Packages, the game won't read them.

Message 10 of 12 (715 Views)