Will Sims 4 Run on my Macbook Air

by Darby2001

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Will Sims 4 Run on my Macbook Air

★★★ Novice

I previously bought and tried to run The Sims 3 on my Macbook Air, however it did not open or run. I'm not sure if I will have the same issue with The Sims 4? My Mac info is as follows:

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)

1.6 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

I think it might have been something to do with my graphics when TS3 wouldn't run... But anyway, does anyone know if TS4 will run? I just don't want to spend $80 on a game that won't work. Thanks in advance :-)

Message 1 of 23 (166,552 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Will Sims 4 Run on my Macbook Air

@Darby2001

Sims 3 will not run well, if at all, on your 2015 MacBook Air because you have Intel graphics which are not supported in the game. Sims 3 is also not natively written for OS X so unfortunately there have always been issues with it on Macs. Sims 4 should run ok, it is native to OS X, but bear in mind MacBook Airs are not very powerful, especially when it comes to gaming. The more packs you add to your game the slower your game performance may become. Make sure your in game graphics options are set to low/medium.

There is no need to buy a Windows computer if you are happy with your Mac Standard smile

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 3 of 23 (166,358 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Greetings, darby2001! The Sims 4 was specifically designed with performance in mind. The Macbook Air being a high performance laptop, it should not have any problem running the game. If you run into any performance issues please navigate the "Menu" on the top right corner of the "Main Menu" the menu button should be represented by three dots in a horizontal line. Click it and then click the "Game Options" button. Once you have clicked the "Game Options" menu click the "Graphics" tab and an option labeled "Laptop Mode" should show up in the lowest right corner of the window. Click it, and restart your game. This should improve performance issues if needed. The Sims 4 originally was a PC only title. But EA recognized this mistake and made it Mac compatible as well. While being familiar with Windows and it's vast compatibility issues, The Sims 3 may have not ran on your Mac due to compatibility issues. The Sims 3 may have been strictly coded for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard for Mac users. Though The Sims 4 should run on your Mac just fine. Though do not take my word for it 100%. I have never owned a Mac in my life, nor do I have any intentions of owning one. If problems occur, in the future, I suggest investing in a Windows operating system. 

~EvanZilla1999

If this has helped, please press the "Grant XP" button at the bottom of my message.

Message 2 of 23 (166,375 Views)

@Darby2001

Sims 3 will not run well, if at all, on your 2015 MacBook Air because you have Intel graphics which are not supported in the game. Sims 3 is also not natively written for OS X so unfortunately there have always been issues with it on Macs. Sims 4 should run ok, it is native to OS X, but bear in mind MacBook Airs are not very powerful, especially when it comes to gaming. The more packs you add to your game the slower your game performance may become. Make sure your in game graphics options are set to low/medium.

There is no need to buy a Windows computer if you are happy with your Mac Standard smile

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 23 (166,359 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Have you bought it already? Does it work ok? I think I have the exactly same Mac and I´d like to buy Sims 4 too.

Message 4 of 23 (166,326 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

@Darby2001 wrote:

I previously bought and tried to run The Sims 3 on my Macbook Air, however it did not open or run. I'm not sure if I will have the same issue with The Sims 4? My Mac info is as follows:

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)

1.6 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

I think it might have been something to do with my graphics when TS3 wouldn't run... But anyway, does anyone know if TS4 will run? I just don't want to spend $80 on a game that won't work. Thanks in advance :-)

Have you bought it already? Does it work ok? I think I have the exactly same Mac and I´d like to buy Sims 4 too.

Message 5 of 23 (166,315 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

It works great. Buy it people

Message 6 of 23 (166,285 Views)

★★★ Newbie

bbv

Message 7 of 23 (157,366 Views)

★★ Novice
Actually it will. I own a Early 2015 MacBook and to this day I still play sims 3 on it. It runs smoothly for the most part but there are some technical issues for example rotating your camera angle is reverse moving your mouse to the left will move it to the right and right will move it to the left. Another slight problem is the graphics. I spent almost 2 hours testing out different graphics. Unlike PC, on mac, turning up all the graphics and putting them on high will slow down the resolution of the game and it will run slower. And the Turning on the reflection quality will make the screen turn completely black but the good thing is if you have any issue testing graphics on your mac, you can click the "Reset Graphics" button and your graphics will return to the default graphics and you can continue testing. Let me know if this helped! 😊
Message 8 of 23 (148,910 Views)

★★ Novice
I have the exact same MacBook and it works smoothly for the most part. There are some technical issues like the camera rotation being the opposite, but it didn't really bother me. And you have to play around with the graphics a bit to get graphics you are satisfied with. If you mess up redirect your self to the settings and then game graphics and click "Reset Graphics" then you can continue.
Message 9 of 23 (148,902 Views)

★★★ Newbie
do you know how to get the sims 4 on macbook pro? i have downloaded the macbook thing that is supposed to make it work but it still says the game is only for window?
Message 10 of 23 (134,520 Views)