Re: Will I be able to run bootcamp on my Mac?

by Tremayne4260

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Will I be able to run bootcamp on my Mac?

★ Apprentice

I want to switch to bootcamp and play sims 4 or 2 but I'm afraid that my MBP will not be able to handle it? 

Here's my specs: 

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Message 1 of 6 (807 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@beliebingxxx  Honestly, no, I don't think there's any way to make a Bootcamp setup work with 85 GB free storage, at least not for gaming.  Once you installed Windows 10 and TS4, you'd likely be below 35 GB before you added in any saved games or other content.  In fact, even if you wiped all of the mac software from your computer and just installed Windows 10 as the only OS, giving it all of your 121 GB storage, you'd still likely run out of space before long.

To give you an example, my Windows partition currently takes up 70 GB space with only the TS3 base game, six packs, and maybe 10-15 GB of saves, mods, builds, etc.  I need another 40 GB free to ensure that Windows 10 runs smoothly, so 110 GB is the minimum that the partition needs to function correctly right now.  I plan on installing more packs, and my saves will get larger as I play them for longer, so I expect that I'll probably need 200 GB or more devoted to the partition before I'm done.  But I have a 512 GB drive, so I can spare the space.  I also have an external drive where I can store any files I'm not currently using.

TS4 doesn't run quite as well in mac OS as it does in Windows, but it's still a good experience, by all accounts.  Even if you had enough storage to partition your drive, I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.  TS2 also ran beautifully on macs in its day, although I'll defer to Tremayne on how well it runs now.  I think you're much better off just playing on the mac side, where your low amount of free storage won't be nearly as much of a concern.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 5 of 6 (739 Views)

All Replies

@beliebingxxx  How much storage do you have?  Windows 10 needs 35-40 GB minimum free to run properly, and you'll need space for the games' program files as well as saves, builds, mods or cc if you use them, etc.  The minimum storage you need to dedicate to the Windows partition is probably 256 GB, and even then, you'll have to be careful about moving extraneous files to an external storage device.

To find out how much storage you have, both total and free, check the "storage" tab in "About This Mac."

I'm not sure why you'd need to partition your drive, though.  TS4 runs pretty well in mac OS.  If you own an outright copy (i.e. not through Origin Access), you have the right to download the mac version through Origin for free.  TS2 for mac was well done too, although I think it's no longer available in the app store.  A smaller partition for TS2 only might be workable, but Windows 10 is still going to be a pain to manage.

Message 2 of 6 (791 Views)

Champion

I think Sims 2 Super Collection is still available on the App Store, but I can't tell for sure since I already own it.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 3 of 6 (779 Views)

★ Apprentice
I have 121.12GB originally but I have 85GB free space right now. Do you think it will work?
Message 4 of 6 (750 Views)

[ Edited ]

@beliebingxxx  Honestly, no, I don't think there's any way to make a Bootcamp setup work with 85 GB free storage, at least not for gaming.  Once you installed Windows 10 and TS4, you'd likely be below 35 GB before you added in any saved games or other content.  In fact, even if you wiped all of the mac software from your computer and just installed Windows 10 as the only OS, giving it all of your 121 GB storage, you'd still likely run out of space before long.

To give you an example, my Windows partition currently takes up 70 GB space with only the TS3 base game, six packs, and maybe 10-15 GB of saves, mods, builds, etc.  I need another 40 GB free to ensure that Windows 10 runs smoothly, so 110 GB is the minimum that the partition needs to function correctly right now.  I plan on installing more packs, and my saves will get larger as I play them for longer, so I expect that I'll probably need 200 GB or more devoted to the partition before I'm done.  But I have a 512 GB drive, so I can spare the space.  I also have an external drive where I can store any files I'm not currently using.

TS4 doesn't run quite as well in mac OS as it does in Windows, but it's still a good experience, by all accounts.  Even if you had enough storage to partition your drive, I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.  TS2 also ran beautifully on macs in its day, although I'll defer to Tremayne on how well it runs now.  I think you're much better off just playing on the mac side, where your low amount of free storage won't be nearly as much of a concern.

Message 5 of 6 (740 Views)

Champion

@beliebingxxx , TS2 runs beautifully on the Mac side and is available through the Mac App Store. The only downside is that it is not the full run of TS2. It only has everything up to and including Bon Voyage, but nothing past that.

TS4 also runs well on the Mac side and I'm sure you wouldn't have many issues as long as you follow the guides that are sticked at the top of this forum.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 6 of 6 (728 Views)