When i try to save i get error 12

by dreamermms2

Original Post

Accepted Solution

When i try to save i get error 12

★★★ Newbie

when i try to save any part of my sims 3 game i get error 12 even when i try to close my game

Message 1 of 3 (370 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: When i try to save i get error 12

@dreamermms2  Error 12 is an out of resources condition—it usually means the game has hit its RAM limit.  In mac OS, the limit is 2 GB RAM (in Windows it's more like 3.5 GB).  Depending on how many packs you're running and how big the world is, both in size and population, you might be close to the RAM limit as soon as you load the game, or you might have some room to maneuver for a while.  But the only way to avoid an Error 12 is to save and then quit before it happens.  You can monitor memory use in the Activity Monitor and purge RAM before saving to get a bit of breathing room:

https://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

(If you happen to be on a Windows computer, there's a different conversation to be had.)

Once you've hit the RAM limit, there's not much you can do besides quit without saving, but in the future, there are some techniques that keep memory use down.  Play completely offline, not logged in at either the launcher or Main Menu, and with your computer disconnected from the internet.  Turn off memories and disable the hidden object loading screens.  Keep your sims' inventories relatively empty (a dozen items might be fine; a hundred might not be) and don't overclutter your home lot.  Simple worlds like Sunset Valley, Riverview, and Twinbrook will play better than others.

If you're still getting Error 12 messages, please post your computer's specs here as described in the post below, along with a list of packs you have in play.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/475...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (359 Views)

All Replies

@dreamermms2  Error 12 is an out of resources condition—it usually means the game has hit its RAM limit.  In mac OS, the limit is 2 GB RAM (in Windows it's more like 3.5 GB).  Depending on how many packs you're running and how big the world is, both in size and population, you might be close to the RAM limit as soon as you load the game, or you might have some room to maneuver for a while.  But the only way to avoid an Error 12 is to save and then quit before it happens.  You can monitor memory use in the Activity Monitor and purge RAM before saving to get a bit of breathing room:

https://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

(If you happen to be on a Windows computer, there's a different conversation to be had.)

Once you've hit the RAM limit, there's not much you can do besides quit without saving, but in the future, there are some techniques that keep memory use down.  Play completely offline, not logged in at either the launcher or Main Menu, and with your computer disconnected from the internet.  Turn off memories and disable the hidden object loading screens.  Keep your sims' inventories relatively empty (a dozen items might be fine; a hundred might not be) and don't overclutter your home lot.  Simple worlds like Sunset Valley, Riverview, and Twinbrook will play better than others.

If you're still getting Error 12 messages, please post your computer's specs here as described in the post below, along with a list of packs you have in play.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/475...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (360 Views)

Champion

I run Memory Clean which is an App you can get from the Apple App Store and it is the only program I run in addition to Sim 3. The other thing I do when I play, I clean my RAM to its Max before I start playing. 

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 3 of 3 (353 Views)