Weird pop-ups on TS4 on brand new iMac

by sims929292

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Weird pop-ups on TS4 on brand new iMac

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Hello! My new computer arrived early and I’ve gotten it all set up and installed TS4. I played a little bit and did a few things to see how it’s working and everything seems fine except for a few weird things that happened.

My computer is an iMac desktop computer, brand new, I just got it yesterday.

Here is its info:

macOS Mojave
Version 10.14.4
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
Processor: 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9
Memory: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB

1. When I opened up the game for the first time, I got a pop-up saying: “The Sims 4 is not optimized for your Mac and needs to be updated. This app will not work with future versions of macOS and needs to be updated to improve compatibility. Contact the developer for more information.” Then, a webpage from Apple support popped up, the title of the page was “32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later.” So whatever that means, it sounds like there is some compatibility issues, or are going to be someday soon? Do I have the wrong “bit” or something? I thought the new Macs were supposed to be compatible, and it was the old ones that were getting phased out, that’s why I got rid of my old Mac from 2009. So why would it say this new one is not compatible? Is this about the change that’s going to be happening in June or something else? Do I need to worry about this pop-up?

2. After that happened, the game suddenly came up and started to load. It loaded and then when it got to the home screen, I got another pop-up and it said: "Unrecognized video card. Your video card was not found in our database. Your graphics settings have been set as high as possible, but you may wish to reduce them if you are experiencing poor performance." My graphics card is Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB. It was the expensive graphics card upgrade option so I thought it would be the better choice. Maybe it wasn’t? I went to settings to see what TS4 automatically set the graphics on and it chose ultra, very high, or high for everything. In the game, the graphics look better than ever and it made me realize how blurry they were on my old computer. Everything looks so much more clear now. So, maybe everything will be fine? Do I need to worry about that pop-up? I can take the computer back and get a different graphics card if necessary.

3. Everytime I launch TS4, it freezes up for about 15 seconds on the loading screen with the round green EA logo, and my cursor changes into a spinning rainbow wheel. After 15 seconds it unfreezes and then the game loads. I know that normally it stays on this screen for awhile while the game is loading, but this is not normal, it is really frozen. How do I get this to stop freezing? Is this a warning of sorts that I will have other problems with the game in the future?

Do I need to be worried about any of those pop-ups? What do they mean? The game appears to be working fine and the graphics look amazing. I don’t see any problem with gameplay at all. But, I didn’t play for very long so I don’t know if there will be problems when I get ready to really sit down and play. I want to know if there will be any problems coming up soon that those pop-ups were trying to warn me about. I hope it doesn’t end up crashing all the time (my worst fear), I had that problem with TS3. By the way, I don’t have any CC or mods so that can’t be the cause of any of this.

Thank you for any help! Standard smile

Message 1 of 4 (477 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Weird pop-ups on TS4 on brand new iMac

@sims929292

1. EA are aware. It was fixed in the April patch but then reversed as the fix caused the game to not work for Lion users at all. Nothing to worry about, they are looking into it.

2. Your graphics look fine, nothing to worry about. It just means that your GPU hasn't been added to the .sgr files yet.

3. Ignore it, it's normal.

Stop worrying and play the game :D

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (449 Views)

All Replies

@sims929292

1. EA are aware. It was fixed in the April patch but then reversed as the fix caused the game to not work for Lion users at all. Nothing to worry about, they are looking into it.

2. Your graphics look fine, nothing to worry about. It just means that your GPU hasn't been added to the .sgr files yet.

3. Ignore it, it's normal.

Stop worrying and play the game :D

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 4 (450 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@Bluebellflora 

Oh thank goodness! It was driving me crazy in case you couldn’t tell. After I got the pop-up about compatibility, it took about 30 seconds for the game to finally come up. I was thinking it was never going to come up! It was 30 seconds of pure terror Disappointed

I am super impressed with the game so far. I placed my favorite house back into the game and all of its furniture looks so crisp and clear now, in fact it didn’t even look like the same furniture I had on my old computer because it used to be so blurry with the low settings. I can finally see all of the subtle details.

Anyway, thanks yet again for your help! Hopefully I won’t be back here freaking out again anytime soon, but you never know Wink

Message 3 of 4 (428 Views)

@sims929292

Great! Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 4 (416 Views)