[FIXED] Problems playing Sims 4 on the 16" MacBook Pro

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Re: Game crashing

@orivso 

Please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so and what to provide here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

I'm guessing you have a 16" McBook Pro? These have had performance issues with the game for over a year now but there is a workaround that may help. If you can provide the info asked for in that link it would really help.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 331 of 614 (886 Views)

@aftksims

I need to clarify for you, and anyone else seeing this post, that not all AMD GPUs cause issues. Please don't think that having an AMD card is definitely the source of any and all issues you are having with the game. If in doubt, provide your specs. as requested in my link above with a detailed explanation of the problems you are having.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 332 of 614 (882 Views)

Re: [WORKAROUND] Problems playing Sims 4 on the 16" MacBook Pro

★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora Oh whoops, forgot to put that in the list. I’ve done that as well.
Message 333 of 614 (875 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm sorry this image didn't upload before, the other specifications are in the first post.

Message 334 of 614 (862 Views)

Graphics pixelation, freezing, and red screen on certain lots - MacBook Pro 2019

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Edit: I decided to reset my Sims 4 folder and start from scratch with no mods/cc to see if I could identify the issue.  I started a new save and moved into a lot in Oasis Springs on which I had had the issue before (Nookstone).  Script mods disabled, windowed mode, default graphics settings.  Everything was fine; live gameplay, build/buy, camera motion, nothing gave me problems and there was no glitching or freezing.  I saved and exited the game.  I reopened the game and enabled script mods, but no mods or cc of any kind were installed at this point.  Still in windowed mode.  Things seemed to be fine, so I moved my household to the lot I most recently experienced the issue, "Fountain View Penthouse" in San Myshuno.  I entered build/buy briefly as soon as my sims got there; I moved the camera around but didn't change anything, no freezing or glitching.  Went back to live mode and after about 30 seconds my screen freezes and I get the beach ball.  My screen unfreezes for a few seconds before I get the beach ball again, and then the screen glitches and my whole computer is frozen.  I click around and the screen starts flashing in a way I haven't seen before.  I have to force shut off my computer.  So I guess its not the mods after all?!  I have a picture of the glitched-out screen.  No last crash or last exception file was generated.

Edit: So I looked through some other topics and it does look like many other Mac users are having the same issue more or less (I am referring specifically to this topic: Problems on 2019 iMac AMD Vega GPU).  I am always suspicious of mods/cc when I encounter problems like this but part of me is thinking it could have more to do with a greater system issue...

My screen glitches and freezes on certain lots, and sometimes my whole computer becomes unresponsive and displays as warped, red, and pixelated.  I do use mods and cc, and I am mainly trying to see if anyone else has experienced this issue and has any ideas before I spend the time doing the 50/50 method.  I have tried most other troubleshooting methods, but I am SO open to suggestions.

Product: The Sims 4
Platform: MacBook Pro 16'' 2019 (macOS Catalina 10.15.7 / Processor 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 / Graphics AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB ,Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? It only seems to happen on specific lots.
What is your current game version number? 1.67.45.1220

What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? City Living, Get to Work, Seasons, Dine Out, Moschino, Vintage Glamour

Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? ...You probably can't without having my exact mods and cc; I realize that this is probably the source of the issue.  I believe Fountain View Penthouse in San Myshuno is the most recent lot I have experienced this issue on, but it first occurred on a lot in Oasis Springs.  It has also happened on the empty lot in Magnolia Promenade.  The issue had previously been happening on other lots when I entered build mode and/or rotated my camera view quickly, but that stopped for the most part after I did some of the standard troubleshooting stuff (e.g. resetting my Sims 4 folder, adding mods back one by one, repairing the game, adjusting graphics settings, disabling Origin in-game, playing in windowed mode).  Now it is clearly specific to certain lots, and I have managed to avoid the problem thus far by not using these lots.
What happens when the bug occurs? There is usually a small pixelated graphics glitch somewhere towards the mid-top of the screen followed by the game freezing and the spinning beach ball of death (or whatever you call it).  The ball will spin for a few seconds and then go away, at which point the game sound will usually continue but with the screen still frozen.  Sometimes it stays like this or shows up oddly pixelated or solid red, and I am able to actually save and quit the game like normal from memory of where the options menu pops up.  Other times the game screen is completely unresponsive and I have to force quit.  I have also experienced my entire computer freezing, usually after I try to save and quit, and I have to force-turn off my computer.

Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods?  Yes.  I have a quite a bit of CC and some script mods.  I know there are some mods you're not supposed to mention on here so I won't specify, but you probably know what I am referring to...  I make sure all of my mods are up to date, and I frequently remove cc that does not work correctly in the game.  I am not getting any last exceptions.  However, as I said above, I am completely open to the idea that it is a mod/cc causing this issue, in fact I think it is very likely.  I plan on doing the whole 50/50 method thing at some point, but I just wanted to put this out there to see if anyone else has experienced this issue who thinks that it might be caused by a mod/cc we have in common.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system?  No, I don't think so.  I first noticed it a while ago before the most recent update, and I feel like the game has actually been running better overall since the game update and since I updated my computer.  This issue seems to persist regardless of patch or system changes.  I am also a fairly new Sims 4 player so I don't have much hindsight as to how other patches have performed.

Message 335 of 614 (894 Views)

Re: Graphics pixelation, freezing, and red screen on certain lots - MacBook Pro

@mgonzcello

Your Mac does not have a Vega GPU, that issue is not the same.

I've merged your post into this thread for users with 16" MacBook Pros because they are experiencing their own uniques set of issues. Please see the opening post for more info and try the workaround in the accepted solution on page 1.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 336 of 614 (848 Views)

Re: Graphics pixelation, freezing, and red screen on certain lots - MacBook Pro

★★★★★ Novice

ok will do thank you very much!

Message 337 of 614 (845 Views)

@orivso

Thanks. Yes, you have a 16" MacBook Pro. I've merged your post into this thread for users with 16" MacBook Pros because they are experiencing their own uniques set of issues. Please see the opening post for more info and try the workaround in the accepted solution on page 1

AHQSigImage.png
Message 338 of 614 (844 Views)

★★ Novice

I have encountered the same issues especially when playing in San Myshuno. I have basically done every workarounds listed on page 1 but it still wouldn't work out.

It's better when I'm playing in other maps (but I still experience crashes from time to time).

Nothing like this has happened when I first purchased the game (Legacy version with only Eco Lifestyle, Parenthood and Tiny Living installed). I started experiencing tearing and  crashes (not so frequent) after I had some Mods installed, and could always be fixed if I remove the Mods file. Only after I purchased a few more expansions packs and started playing in San Myshuno, everything has gone out of control... 

Product: The Sims 4
Platform: MacBook Pro 16'' 2019 (macOS Big Sur 11.0 Beta / Processor 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 / Graphics AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8 GB ,Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? It only seems to happen on specific lots. EVERY TIME WHEN PLAY IN SAN MYSHUNO
What is your current game version number? the game version txt is empty so I couldn't check

What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? City Living, Seasons, Get Famous, Get Together, Eco Lifestyle, Tiny Living, Parenthood, Vintage Glamour

Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Play in San Myshuno and you'll know. I tried playing a new file without Mods in San Myshuno for a few time and still experienced crashes no matter what.
What happens when the bug occurs? the game either freezes or the buildings suddenly turned into a weird/basement-like place and freezes. When I play with Mods there's weird tearings and huge yellow light rays that only shows from a few perspectives.

Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods?  Yes. Hair/skins/make up/clothings. NO scripts or CC furnitures. But the game crashes even without the Mods. I've repeatedly tried removing the original Sims 4 files and restart a new game. Results are the same. Crashes. 
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system?  Since the last automatic update or after I've purchased the new expansion packs (the game ran well when I only had Eco Lifestyle. Parenthood and Tiny Living installed. I then purchased the rest of the packs I mentioned above on the same day, and things became super problematic).  I've heard that the problem could be solved by upgrading MacOs from Catalina to Big Sur. Nothing changed. 

Message 339 of 614 (797 Views)

@whatswongpro

Tiny Living and Eco Lifestyle don't work with the Legacy version, you've been running the current version Standard smile

There is no support for beta versions of the OS. Maybe a more stable version when Apple release it would help?

Did disabling the graphics switching or installing gfxCardStatus not help?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 340 of 614 (776 Views)