[FIXED] Problems playing Sims 4 on the 16" MacBook Pro

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Re: CPU max usage and system crashing on IMac Pro

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

FYI, this solution did NOT fix my issue with the game never staying in fullscreen mode according to the game settings -- even if visually it IS in fullscreen mode. 

I did NOT try the Big Sur beta, as I'm not willing to risk that with all the other work I do on my computer, just to play a game.

I DID try turning off the automatic graphics switching toggle and experimented with the game multiple times. The issue simply will NOT resolve itself.

Even if the game looks like it is in fullscreen mode, the in-game setting SAYS windowed mode, and thus the EDGE SCROLLING WILL NOT WORK.

No matter how many times I try to get it to switch to fullscreen mode, it instantly switches back to windowed setting -- even after I have clicked  "accept new settings" with the setting saying that "full screen" is selected. The minute I hit "accept changes" it switches back to windowed setting. But the appearance doesn't change. Just the setting does.

Sometimes, and this seems to happen randomly, the setting in the background will say "fullscreen" but the cursor cannot click on the "accept settings" option OR even the "cancel" option! I click and nothing happens until the timer expires and then the settings revert back to windowed. 

This is SO FRUSTRATING! 

Before this latest game update, I was able to play on this computer without issue WITH EDGE SCROLLING!!! 

Do I need to make this a separate question so that it can be addressed properly? Because this workaround did nothing to fix it!

And I was not having any of the other graphical issues. No flashing floors or black lines, etc. 

My setup, FYI:

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

ETA: Yes, I tried playing around with the green fullscreen button on the windowed game several times, and it still says it's in windowed mode -- even after I've expanded it. And I've tried loading the game in windowed mode, and then using the control/command/F trick to expand it to fullscreen. It does VISUALLY, but the game settings still say "windowed" mode, so the game THINKS it's in windowed mode, so the edge scrolling will not work! 

Message 281 of 614 (1,454 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Edge Scrolling and Fullscreen not Working on Macbook Pro 16" 201

★ Apprentice
@pureneon Thanks. Tried this, but it didn't work for me. It VISUALLY works to get the game back to filling the whole screen, but the game settings itself still SAY windowed mode, so the edge scrolling will not work.
Message 282 of 614 (1,452 Views)

@cebart73

TBH I think the fullscreen/windowed mode issue pales in comparison to the crashing/glitching/freezing problem that renders the game unplayable.

Have you tried the -w command line prompt in Origin? Or changing the value in the Options.in file?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 283 of 614 (1,443 Views)

@kbee907

Thanks! It would be really great to know if this fix can be applied System Preferences > Energy Saver without having to download a 3rd party app.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 284 of 614 (1,442 Views)

@joho1144 

Thanks but thank YOU for the solution for everyone Standard smile

This automatic graphics switching issue in System Preferences is intriguing. Have you tried resetting the PRAM/NVRAM reset? Do you think you may have another app installed or process running that is overriding the OS setting? Typically this would be screenshot software, photo or video editing software but could be anything.

I found this on similar freezing issues when it does switch - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250964318

You could also enter a command into Terminal to override it - https://nathansnelgrove.com/how-to-force-your-macbook-pro-to-use-its-discrete-graphics-card-when-its...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 285 of 614 (1,436 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

True, it does pale in comparison. I’m simply pointing out that it seems to be a separate issue. I do not want it overlooked simply because my problem got lumped in with this larger crashing issue that is seemingly unrelated, and have it remained unsolved. I can’t be the only one experiencing it. 

The fact that the game thinks it’s in windowed mode when it is visually in full screen mode indicates an instability issue doesn’t it?

Message 286 of 614 (1,419 Views)

@ceb6973

It was a thing when the game was released, it's not new. Always seemed to be weirdly sporadic. Did you try the command and editing the Options.ini file?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 287 of 614 (1,415 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Ahh, I didn’t realize it was an old problem, This is the first time I’ve experienced it on my old Mac or this new one. I saw some older posts that were similar, but they seems to resolve with some of the solutions I’ve tried, but didn’t work. Yes, I edited the options.ini file. I’ll keep trying and hopefully something will work eventually.

Message 288 of 614 (1,410 Views)

Major issues for 16 inch MacBook Pro

★★ Guide

I just got a 16 inch MacBook Pro a few days ago. Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory, 500 GB Hard drive, two video/graphics cards: AMD Radeon Pro 5300M, and Intel UHD Graphics 630.

After downloading all the packs I own (all expansion packs, all game packs except Batuu, all stuff packs except Moschino and Fitness), I launched the game and none of the rooms had floors. Neither Build nor buy. It looked like a reflection of the sky or of the walls. I tried toggling edge smoothing, Retina display, vertical sync, laptop mode, lowering graphics settings to the lowest setting. After that didn't work, I went to the energy saver settings and disabled automatic graphics switching. That still didn't work, so I downloaded gfxCardStatus, which allowed me to use the discrete graphics card only. This solved all graphics issues! Huzzah! Except then the game crashed. I repaired it, except Origin only repaired the base game, not the expansions. I noticed all my packs said "Finalizing". I downloaded the Reset Origin tool, reset Origin, then reinstalled it. Okay so now my packs say "Play" instead of "Finalizing", great, except now when I play it still lags a lot and the latest issue is the "Red Screen of Death". I'll be playing and the whole screen will go red, the game becomes unresponsive, I can't Quit out of it, so I have to Force Quit. I was just on the phone for an hour with someone who tried very hard to help but this issue is persistent and nothing seems to work.

In short: The Sims 4 is just unplayable on the 16 inch MacBook Pro, and since I love this game and spend a lot of time on it, I'm seriously considering returning my brand new computer and just sticking with my old one. If you want to play the Sims 4 and are considering getting the 16 inch MacBook Pro: don't! 

If you can think of other steps that I can take that might help with this issue, let me know and I will try but I think the issue is the computer.

Message 289 of 614 (1,393 Views)

Re: Major issues for 16 inch MacBook Pro

@Jessycaz

Merged your post into this thread on the issues with the 16" MBPs. Please see the solution on page 1 and disable automatic graphics switching.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 290 of 614 (1,377 Views)