[FIXED] Problems playing Sims 4 on the 16" MacBook Pro

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Re: Sims 4 Lagging since Update

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I'm having the same issue, also with the 16" Macbook Pro and I don't have Batuu. It's happened ever since the update for it though. 

Today it happened when I had the game on pause and was swiveling the camera to get a good angle to take a screenshot. This last time was at sunset in Sulani. I can't remember the first time it happened (yesterday). My screen will just glitch out like so: https://imgur.com/a/UGSdVdm and then everything completely freezes and I have to force quit, with no save. The first time, my screen glitched out but then returned to the game, but completely frozen. This time, it just stayed on this red glitch screen. 

I've only been playing sims but I've never once had this issue until yesterday, which I thought was a one off, but then just got it again today. My graphics card is a 

AMD Radeon Pro 5300M and I have 32GB RAM. 

Should also note that for some reason my game keeps loading in windowed mode and I have to keep going into options to change it back to full screen. No idea why that's suddenly happening. 

Message 251 of 614 (1,377 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Lagging since Update

@annam1213

If you play in windowed mode do you get that glitchy red screen across the entire display or just in the game window?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 252 of 614 (1,367 Views)

Issues with display options in game-MAC

★★★★★ Novice

So I’m having issues setting the display settings I was on my new 16” MacBook Pro.  I finally was able to get into the game and now it won’t let me adjust my resolution nor the full screen option.  When the box pops up with the timer, it will either let me click the check to set the new settings as default or not.  If it does, it will automatically revert back to the windowed option and super low resolution.  If it changes the settings and the box pops up, it doesn’t let me click the check to accept so the timer runs out and and reverts back to the windowed with low res.  I’m extremely frustrated with this and I feel like I’m the only one.  I’ve repaired the game twice now and am presently sifting through my mods (for another reason).  My specs are as follows (see photo).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 253 of 614 (1,371 Views)

Re: Issues with display options in game-MAC

@militarymama27

I've merged your post into this ongoing thread for 16" MBP users. As you can see from the opening post and the conversation here, there are several severe issues with this model Mac which seems to be related to the AMD GPUs and the game.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 254 of 614 (1,347 Views)

Re: [NEED INFO] Problems playing Sims 4 on the 16" MacBook Pro

★★★ Novice

FWIW, I've updated to the Big Sur public beta yesterday and have had absolutely zero issues with my game since. I played for two or three hours and tried crashing my game and it never did. I am having the windowed mode/fullscreen mode error that another user posted about earlier, but its something I can deal with for the moment because at least my game is playable now. I reinserted my entire mods folder as well and had no issues. I have every game/stuff/expansion besides Nifty and Bantuu, if that helps.

Message 255 of 614 (1,328 Views)

@geoffrickly

That's fantastic!

AHQSigImage.png
Message 256 of 614 (1,320 Views)

★ Novice

Hey,

So I had the sims 4 working just fine for a couple of days but then it abruptly started to glitch. Everything loads fine until I go to my house and family. 

Problems I have:

will get the rainbow wheel of loading nonstop

will freeze entirely

the floor turned blue and large black things shot out of where the roof is

the floor turned black

saves dont save fully

full on explosion of lines and graphics that took over origin and eventually my desktop until restarted 

I have tried:

moving the folder out of documents

Repairing the game through origin

Restarting origin and computer

turning iCloud off

lowering In game graphics

Turning off origin when in game

my specs:

2019 16” pro

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M

4gb graphics

send help?

pic is of blue floor and black screwed up roofs is what I’m assuming. 

Message 257 of 614 (1,303 Views)

★ Apprentice

So even with Big Sur, the game doesn't stay in full screen with the proper settings when you adjust them via the in-game menu? My main issue with the game is that it always wants to run in windowed mode at 4000+ pixels wide, which is unnecessary and just pushes the GPU too much with the FX cranked up.

Message 258 of 614 (1,283 Views)

Re: Post-Batuu Keeps Crashing

★★★ Novice

I’m having this same issue. MacBook Pro 16”. I don’t even own the Batuu pack, but since the update the game just locks up within minutes of playing. 

MacBook Pro (16” 2019)

macOS Catalina 10.15.6

2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Message 259 of 614 (1,278 Views)

★★★ Novice

I seem to start having issues when I am trying to rotate the camera and zoom/change play speed at the same time. The game will freeze to the rainbow wheel, briefly resume, freeze again then the lot will become glitched and unresponsive. Some sounds continue to play. I have attached my typical view before having to force quit the game. 

Specs:

MBP 16-inch (Late 2019)

Catalina 10.15.6

AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB

Message 260 of 614 (1,198 Views)