Re: [WORKAROUND] Problems playing Sims 4 on the 16" MacBook Pro

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Re: Game crashing

★★ Novice

I see. 

I have been playing with OS Catalina all the time until I checked this thread out and tried upgrading to Big Sur as a workaround to fix the problem. Don't think an official version would help but I'll wait anyway!

Yes I tried both methods. Neither helped. The game still crashes as it always did. Basically I can never run the game for more than 30 minutes if I play in San Myshuno. 

Message 341 of 614 (826 Views)

Re: Graphics pixelation, freezing, and red screen on certain lots - MacBook Pro

★★★★★ Novice

Firstly, thank you Bluebellflora for working to resolve this issue!  I really appreciate your hard work Standard smile

So, I have tried most everything suggested at the top, except for toggling laptop mode (can't seem to find it in the options menu) and updating to Big Sur.  I use this computer for work so I am wary to update to a beta OS, and it doesn't seem like it has worked consistently for people.  Regardless I still plan to look into it, I just haven't tried it yet.

All of the work-arounds combined got me to a point where I could play in San Myshuno for about 5 to 10 minutes before it completely froze my system, but every few minutes during that time the game would freeze and then unfreeze.  Before, my whole computer would freeze almost as soon as I got into live mode.  The thing that seemed to make the most difference was resetting my NVRAM, which was the last thing I changed. 

Not really sure what to do from here...

Message 342 of 614 (790 Views)

@mgonzcello

Thanks! Standard smile Scroll down in the options menu, laptop mode is at the bottom.

I really hope this is fixed, whether it's an EA or Apple thing.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 343 of 614 (756 Views)

Re: Major issues for 16 inch MacBook Pro

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@TheodorableTeddyso I updated my game and what is this?!? dos this show up for anyone else it looks like something from 1991 or something like that why isthmus happening I just want to game and I can't figure out how to do anything plus the sims 4 is now "hidden" I haven't been on Origen for a week or two and I never "hid" my game what if you know what to do please help

Message 344 of 614 (741 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thanks! I turned on laptop mode and it just made things worse.  The game loaded but the interior floors were gone!  So strange!  Here's a picture:

Message 345 of 614 (689 Views)

@mgonzcello

Yeah, one of the common issues reported on these Macs Frown

Try disabling automatic graphics switching, more info is in the solution page 1.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 346 of 614 (684 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora 

I had automatic graphics switching disabled when this happened... Frown

Message 347 of 614 (662 Views)

★★ Novice

I recently upgraded from a 2011 MacBook Air to the newest 16" MacBook Pro (and with that upgrade, went from playing Legacy Edition back to the standard edition of the game) and have been having a lot of the same issues as described in this thread. My graphics card is AMD Radeon Pro 5300M with 4GB VRAM, and I am running macOS Catalina 10.15.7. The weird thing is that the freezing and crashing isn't constant; sometimes I can play the game for hours without any issues and other times it freezes up so much that I can't play it at all. Additionally, I've experienced a variety of weird behaviors when the game freezes--it almost never does the same thing when it freezes up. For instance, I've had the eternal loading wheel, screen tearing, the black patches, and just tonight I had my screen start shaking and warping. I always have to force quit the game, although it did crash on its own once as well. I've tried most of the things mentioned on this thread, including removing my mods folder, disabling automatic graphics switching, downloading gfxCardStatus, messing with the graphics options in-game, clearing my Origin cache, and more. None of it has really provided a permanent solution. The only thing I've found that KIND OF helps is recovering a previous save from whichever save file is experiencing the problem (specifically, a save from before it started freezing), and then it seems to work for a while. However, I'm still hoping for a permanent solution. I've seen a lot of people saying this has only started happening since the September patch--I got my new computer just a couple weeks ago so I don't really have anything to compare it to. Hopefully EA sees how many people are experiencing this issue and can help us find a solution, as I pretty much only got my new computer so I could upgrade from Legacy Edition and be able to have the new packs and updates. Really hoping there's some sort of solution Frown

Message 348 of 614 (651 Views)

@jenmcp

This didn't start happening since the September patch, these problems with the game on 16" MBPs have been around for over a year now. The September patch created issues for users with Vega GPUs and some newer GPUs in the 2020 27" iMac.

Is it happening in every single world you have installed? San Myshuno is particularly problematic.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 349 of 614 (634 Views)

★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora gotcha, my mistake. I've had it happen mostly in Willow Creek and Britechester. I haven't played in San Myshuno much since getting my new computer, but I'll test it out and see what happens.

Message 350 of 614 (614 Views)