Re: Major issues for 16 inch MacBook Pro

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

★★ Guide

Hi, I actually read the whole solution on this thread before posting here and as I mentioned, I did disable automatic graphics switching. That did not fix it. I included everything I tried in my post, is there anything else I could try?

Message 291 of 614 (1,045 Views)

Re: [WORKAROUND] Problems playing Sims 4 on the 16" MacBook Pro

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

After reading through some comments, I tried disabling automatic graphics switching and it didn’t seem to have any effect on the constant crashing or screen glitching out in certain worlds for me. After this I tried using gfxcardstatus as suggested and set my Mac to “discrete only”. The game seemed to run a little smoother afterwards and loading times were significantly reduced (both with and without cc/mods). I am still on Catalina (specs are below).

The affected worlds (Willow Creek, Newcrest, and the fashion district of San Myshuno) are unfortunately still unplayable. The worst still seems to be the fashion district. Now every time I try to visit one of those lots the game crashes. All other worlds are mostly playable (sometimes I get a loading wheel but it has never crashed or glitched). The vacation worlds (Granite Falls, Selvadorada, and Batuu) all seem to be working perfectly (I was able to play in each world for hours without any issues). For now it looks like my sims will be taking lots of vacations lol. 

Also, turning edge smoothing off seemed to significantly reduce the loading wheel appearing in some worlds. 

I have a few adobe programs installed on my mac (including illustrator and photoshop) and am not sure if they are having any sort of impact. It isn’t worth it to me to uninstall them to find out if it will fix the sims. 

Message 292 of 614 (1,030 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

@Jessycaz

Did you download gfxCardStatus?

@x_Pipco_x 

Is it the whole of Willow Creek or just a specific neighbourhood? See if updating to the current version of Catalina helps maybe?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 293 of 614 (1,011 Views)

★★ Guide

I did install gfxCardStatus. Weirdly, after I installed it, the graphics were much better but the game still lagged a lot and crashed after about 15 minutes. I tried again and it crashed again. That was yesterday. Today I didn’t change anything but the game ran a lot better. Hopefully it stays that way 🤞🏼

Message 294 of 614 (986 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I have done all of the suggested fixes with the exception of downloading Big Sur beta (I refuse to do that and risk my only machine) and I STILL do not have floors in any of my rooms.  The windowed issue is fixed but the floor situation has not been.  My specs are attached.

Message 295 of 614 (955 Views)

@militarymama27

Did disabling automatic graphics switching and/or downloading and using gfxCardStatus not work for you?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 296 of 614 (951 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Bluebellflora The issue seems to be happening throughout all of Willow Creek but Foundry Cove is the worst affected. I updated to the newest version of Catalina but there was no change. 

Message 297 of 614 (869 Views)

Sims 4 Crashes Every 5 Minutes on Macbook after September 2020 Update

★★ Novice

Sims 4 Crashing After September 2020 Update - 

Every time I am in build mode after about 5 minutes my game crashes. (I could be in play mode too, but I have been trying to build). 

I have no mods installed (I deleted them and disabled) 

Emptied my cache

Repaired the game multiple times. Restarted my MAC. 

This about the 7th time today this has happened. 

I am on a MAC Catalina Version 10.15.7 

2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Message 298 of 614 (852 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Crashes Every 5 Minutes on Macbook after September 2020 Update

@annaroccaa

Is that a 15" MacBook Pro or 16" MacBook Pro? It should state in About this Mac.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 299 of 614 (828 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Crashes Every 5 Minutes on Macbook after September 2020 Update

★★ Novice

Message 300 of 614 (819 Views)