Update won't let my game open. Running Yosemite 10.10.5

by thirstyslat

Original Post

Update won't let my game open. Running Yosemite 10.10.5

★★★ Newbie

Downloaded the new update on Origin as legacy. Wouldn't allow the game to start. Kept getting

" Unable to start due to missing game data.

Please download The Sims 4 Legacy Edition from Origin.

[5de4b8a3:29f00e76:00000000:00000000] "

I uninstalled, reinstalled both origin and Sims 4. Same thing is happening.

I'm running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this?

Message 1 of 6 (2,288 Views)

Re: Update won't let my game open. Running Yosemite 10.10.5

★★ Guide
@thirstyslat If your hardware supports it you should upgrade to El Capitan (10.11) or newer. The release of The Sims 4 patch that came out today depends on macOS' Metal graphics layer. The first version of macOS that supported this is 10.11, AND Metal also requires that the GPU in your computer support it (the FAQ mentions what versions of the standard GPUs that Apple uses).

If you are NOT able to update to a newer version of macOS then you need to get the "The Sims 4 Legacy Edition" in the Origin client. Be aware that Legacy Edition will work with older macOS releases, but it disables all online functionality (Social media, Gallery, etc).
Message 2 of 6 (2,275 Views)

★ Novice

I am also having the issue. It allows me to click "run as sims 4 legacy" but it refuses to open. I cannot download the news OS because my mac is a few years old (purchased 2011). 

Message 3 of 6 (2,152 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@mickeynewkirkHi Mickey. When you say "allows me to click 'run as sims 4 legacy'", where/what is allowing you to click? In the Origin client? Can you post a screen shot of this? When you say that it refuses to open, what do you see? Please describe anything that appears.

EDIT: Removed a wildly wrong speculation that some 2011 Macs might be able to support Metal. My bad. Sorry about that bit of wrongness.

Message 4 of 6 (2,141 Views)

★★★ Newbie

To Support who's reading this. Run the legacy edition yourself to verify it's working fine. 

Do NOT give us official answers which is absolutely useless and unhelpful.

Either you refund my purchase, or fix the damn game.

I'm sure we can all provide any debug/diagnostic logs for your developers to fix it. Just ask, stop giving us "oh what does it mean/where are you clicking?" or "oh it should work by doing this and that" answer.

There's only 1 way to start the game, by the way

Message 5 of 6 (2,134 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm having the exact same problem on my macbook. I've even tried running to legacy edition but it won't open. I think I might have to update the OS 

Message 6 of 6 (2,094 Views)