Unknown Error Sims 3

by bearfarren

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Unknown Error Sims 3

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hi, i would really appreciate some help - for someone with 0 insight into this techy stuff...

‘unknown error’ on base game launch, i have got the expansion packs purchased (most of them, didn't purchase the island one) but just trying to even get the base sorted now (the only one i've downloaded so far - i did have them all downloaded previously but same error). Have done a clean uninstall using cleanmymac3* (as well as remove the EA doc files in documents) and reinstalled. Downloaded via Origin. Have patched it using a thing i found somewhere…

My Spec:
macOS: Mojave (10.14.3)
iMac (retina 4k 21.5 inch, late 2015)
Processor: 3.3 GHz intel core i7
Memory: 16GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel iris pro graphics 6200 1536 MB
Device ID: 0x1622

I have tried editing the the 'GraphicsCards.sgr' and 'GraphicsRules.sgr' files to read my 6200 graphics card but still no luck. 

*when trying to use the uninstaller, the 2nd screen of the installer, after the initial 'continue', is prompting me to select the game to uninstall, however it is blank for options. see screenshot for clearer understanding. So i have also done a proper uninstall using this article.

Message 1 of 3 (475 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Unknown Error Sims 3

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

UPDATE:

After spending a bit longer on this, i did a much more thorough clean uninstall and reinstall - this got the base game working (much to my surprise!) after the superpatch.

I followed the steps here to place copies of each 'add-on' (EP) transgaming folder into every EP's transgaming folder (does that make sense?!) which has meant that university life (my most 'top level' EP - as i don't want supernatural or the island one) was my launch game to open...

It's all working! which is pretty fantastic. I'm a bit nervous to add the stuff packs i have aswell but for starters it seams to be working without the need to change the graphics card files...

Thanks for the reply, it seams after a clear head i've managed to get to the route of it all...

edit: I also installed the EPs in order of release to make the process more seamless...

So the process incase anyone else has the same problem as i did: 

1. 'Clean' uninstall and then reinstall following these steps. 
  2. Download superpatch and install onto base game.
  3. Run Base game - if it opens the launcher, run the game and then exit (don't create a town).
  4. Download your EPs - in order of release, i used this guide to help.
  5. When you get to ambitions and late night. follow the instructions here.
  6. When all EPs are downloaded, follow these steps but make sure EACH EP's 'transgaming' folder has all of the other EPs transgaming folders in...this will just cover all eventualities for you.
  7. Launch and fingers crossed! 

View in thread

Message 3 of 3 (447 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@bearfarren  Thanks so much for all that information; it makes everything a lot easier.  It's great you did a clean uninstall already, as that would have been the first recommendation. But I'm not clear on whether you've installed since then.  Cleaner apps are never a good idea on macs—they can delete essential files as well as the ones you need removed.  Anyway, before reinstalling, the last step you need to have done is the clean uninstall described by Bluebellflora in the link you found.

You're right that you'll next need to edit the game's .sgr files.  I'm going to ask Bluebellflora to help you with that when she has time, since it's a bit complicated, and one punctuation mark in the wrong place will ruin the whole thing.  (She helped with mine as well.)

In the meantime, you can install the base game only, and patch to 1.67 (use the digital download version of the Super Patch).  So when the text for the .sgr files is ready, you can just drop it in and launch the game.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (453 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

UPDATE:

After spending a bit longer on this, i did a much more thorough clean uninstall and reinstall - this got the base game working (much to my surprise!) after the superpatch.

I followed the steps here to place copies of each 'add-on' (EP) transgaming folder into every EP's transgaming folder (does that make sense?!) which has meant that university life (my most 'top level' EP - as i don't want supernatural or the island one) was my launch game to open...

It's all working! which is pretty fantastic. I'm a bit nervous to add the stuff packs i have aswell but for starters it seams to be working without the need to change the graphics card files...

Thanks for the reply, it seams after a clear head i've managed to get to the route of it all...

edit: I also installed the EPs in order of release to make the process more seamless...

So the process incase anyone else has the same problem as i did: 

1. 'Clean' uninstall and then reinstall following these steps. 
  2. Download superpatch and install onto base game.
  3. Run Base game - if it opens the launcher, run the game and then exit (don't create a town).
  4. Download your EPs - in order of release, i used this guide to help.
  5. When you get to ambitions and late night. follow the instructions here.
  6. When all EPs are downloaded, follow these steps but make sure EACH EP's 'transgaming' folder has all of the other EPs transgaming folders in...this will just cover all eventualities for you.
  7. Launch and fingers crossed! 

Message 3 of 3 (448 Views)