Re: Trying to figure out if I have the needed computer specs to run the sims 4

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Trying to figure out if I have the needed computer specs to run the sims 4

★★★★★ Newbie

I previously had major issues with The sims 3 pets (as in it wouldn't work pretty much at all) and I want to be sure that I can play the sims 4 on my computer before purchasing (as with the pets one the store wouldn't give me my money back). Here are my specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, late 2013)

OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB

Sorry for posting here but the chat for EA wouldn't connect- it said it would be 5 minutes or less and it was over an hour and I still hadn't heard from anyone. And I honestly can't make sense of the specs things. Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 6 (296 Views)

Accepted Solution

@Hebridean_Sprite

Is your Mac the 13" MacBook Pro? If so it only has the integrated Intel Iris graphics. The 15" MacBook Pros have both integrated and dedicated graphics with an NVIDIA or AMD GPU depending on the age of the Mac (although Apple have introduced a cheaper 15" with just integrated Intel graphics in the last year or so).

Anyway, you should be fine to play but bear in mind that you will probably not be able to play on high settings, especially as you add more add on packs to the base game. If your game lags, lower the graphics settings.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (269 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Hebridean_Sprite

You should be fine as you probably have an nvidia video card as well as the Intel Iris.

If you go into System Preferences > Energy Saver and then uncheck automatic graphics switching

...and then check your specs again it should show your nvidia video card.

All your other specs check out and assuming you do have an nvidia card you will be good to go.

barry.png
Message 2 of 6 (284 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Great thanks. When I go to Energy Saver there isn't anything to uncheck that says anything about graphics. There is a battery and power adapter section that talks about when to put the computer to sleep, dim and power nap.

Message 3 of 6 (277 Views)

@Hebridean_Sprite

Is your Mac the 13" MacBook Pro? If so it only has the integrated Intel Iris graphics. The 15" MacBook Pros have both integrated and dedicated graphics with an NVIDIA or AMD GPU depending on the age of the Mac (although Apple have introduced a cheaper 15" with just integrated Intel graphics in the last year or so).

Anyway, you should be fine to play but bear in mind that you will probably not be able to play on high settings, especially as you add more add on packs to the base game. If your game lags, lower the graphics settings.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 6 (270 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Perfect thanks Bluebellflora, that's what I needed to know. Appreciate the help!

Message 5 of 6 (253 Views)

@Hebridean_Sprite

You're welcome Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 6 (240 Views)