Trouble transferring old Sims 3 saves to new Sims 3 game (64-bit on Mac)

by Rosybunny1

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Trouble transferring old Sims 3 saves to new Sims 3 game (64-bit on Mac)

★★ Novice

Hi, all! 

I recently downloaded The Sims 3 64-bit version on my MacBook Pro (macOS Catalina). I transferred my game saves from my previous laptop (HP Laptop, ran on Windows, 32-bit version of game) through Dropbox to my new laptop.

I followed this guide to transfer my games saves into my new game: https://bluebellflora.com/saving-origin-digital-downloads/ 

Steps 1-3 worked for me, but I'm running into trouble with step #4. As you can see from these screenshots, once I try to reinstall the game, it comes up with this error. I noticed that it said the developer needs to update this in order to be compatible with this version of MacOS, but I have the newest update that allows Sims 3 to run on this version of MacOS.

Is anyone able to help me with this problem?

Thank you,

Leah Standard smile

Message 1 of 8 (1,379 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Trouble transferring old Sims 3 saves to new Sims 3 game (64-bit on Mac)

[ Edited ]

@Rosybunny1  The guide you followed is not for transferring saves from one computer to another, it's for transferring the installers for the base game and packs.  The installers are what place the game data itself on your hard drive; they only contain the game as EA released it, not your saves or other content.

The installers you've transferred are 32-bit and won't run in macOS Catalina.  To get the 64-bit version of the game, you'll need to login to Origin and download it directly from your game library.

If you want to transfer your saves to your new computer, upload the contents of Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Saves to Dropbox, download it on your Mac, and place it in the same folder, that is once you've started the game and created the necessary folders.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 3 of 8 (1,352 Views)

All Replies

Hero
@Rosybunny1 Did you download the correct version of the game? The new one has a 64-bit tag on the box art and it's titled The Sims 3 (64-bit & Metal) in your library.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 8 (1,359 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Rosybunny1  The guide you followed is not for transferring saves from one computer to another, it's for transferring the installers for the base game and packs.  The installers are what place the game data itself on your hard drive; they only contain the game as EA released it, not your saves or other content.

The installers you've transferred are 32-bit and won't run in macOS Catalina.  To get the 64-bit version of the game, you'll need to login to Origin and download it directly from your game library.

If you want to transfer your saves to your new computer, upload the contents of Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Saves to Dropbox, download it on your Mac, and place it in the same folder, that is once you've started the game and created the necessary folders.

Message 3 of 8 (1,353 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict oooooh I see, thank you so much!! I'm such a noob when it comes to the inner-workings of technology XD My old saves just popped up on my new game. Thank you again, I greatly appreciate your help! Standard smile
Message 4 of 8 (1,334 Views)

★★ Novice
@mate54 Hi! Yes, the 64-bit version popped up in my game library when it was released and I downloaded it at that time. @puzzleaddict just led me to the solution, but thank you for your help!
Message 5 of 8 (1,332 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi,

I've recently updated my mac and sims 3, everything is working fine but i can't seem to get my saved worlds from when the game was 32-bit to now 64-bit. I copied my Saved Worlds on to my computer prior. So when I try moving my Saved Worlds folder into Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Saves. Once i start the game and get into the loading screen to select saved worlds, i don't see any of my saved worlds that I've placed in.   

Please Help Standard smile

Message 6 of 8 (1,002 Views)

@Caitlyn_Lawrence  It looks like your old saves are in a subfolder inside the Saves folder.  They need to be directly inside Saves, or the game won't read them.

Message 7 of 8 (990 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Thank you so much! Works perfect and all saved game are there Standard smile

Message 8 of 8 (974 Views)