Re: Transferring Sims 4 to Exernal Hard Drive - help

by Tremayne4260

Original Post

Transferring Sims 4 to Exernal Hard Drive - help

★★★ Newbie

I have no room on my MacBook Air anymore and I was hoping I could transfer my sims 4 game to my 1 TB external hard drive. I’ve been trying to look up step by step instructions on how to do this and if it’s actually

possible but haven’t had much luck.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Message 1 of 3 (378 Views)

Champion

@mbadx4 , it is possible and you would only transfer the game files. Those are the files under Applications. You must leave the Sims 4 folder (found Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4) on your Hard Drive otherwise you will not be able to save your game and the coding for the game always looks for that folder on your Hard Drive. 

Playing the game off of an external hard drive will lead to slower response times from the game. To my knowledge step by step instructions on how to do this have never been written.

Please keep us updated.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 3 (368 Views)

@mbadx4 

Try this:

1. Go into your Applications folder, right (secondary) click on the Sims 4 game and select Copy "The Sims 4"
  2. Open your external drive in a Finder window and right click and paste the copy of the game. This may take a while as it could be very large depending on how many packs you have installed
  3. Open Origin, hover your cursor over your name in the bottom left corner and click on Application Settings in the pop up menu
  4. Click on Installs & Saves > Game Library Location in the main Origin window and click on Change Folder
  5. Navigate to where you pasted the copy of the game and click Open
  6. Delete any shortcuts you have to the game on your Desktop, Dock or elsewhere.
  7. Launch the game to check it is working. If it launches ok, trash the original Sims 4 game from your Applications folder.
  8. Launch the game again to check it is working and successfully reading the new location on your external drive

As Tremayne has pointed out, your user data (saves, screenshots, tray items etc.) is stored in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 and this cannot be changed. Make a back up of this as a precaution before trying the steps above Standard smile

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 3 (360 Views)