Re: The camera isn't moving smoothly

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

it's actually the default: the screen normally runs at a "pixel doubled" resolution, although you can change it.

Sorry but I don’t understand this bit. 😟 yes I tried that resolution you suggested, then I feel camera is moving under water as if whole land is under the sea while moving camera. 

Message 11 of 17 (299 Views)
Highlighted

@aodoherty  What I was trying to say was, your screen has a resolution of 4096x2304: it's literally 4096 pixels wide and 2304 pixels high.  But by default, it renders the screen at a resolution of half of that (2048x1152), giving two consecutive pixels in each direction the same instructions, so it's like they're rendering as a unit.  I though that running the game at the same 2048x1152 resoution might help.

The first question is, what framerates are you getting?  If your fps is under about 30, then the game is going t olook choppy no matter what else is happening.  If you can't get an fps of 30 at a 2048x1152 resolution, please turn down the graphics settings until fps is consistently over 30, and test in both fullscreen and windowed mode to see whether there's any screen tearing.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 17 (284 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@puzzlezaddictPefrectly understood this time. thank you. I tried that 2048 1152 and it looks much better but still a bit is remained. fps is about 25-30 I think. I tested both windowed and fullscreen mode, and there's no big difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3yzsSd2VIk

It's taken at 2048x1152 fullscreen mode.

i have 2 other issues here in this video. No sounds are playing at all, and water effects has all gone. I don't think it's from graphics card because I still can see this effect on windows bootcamp.

Message 13 of 17 (275 Views)

@aodoherty  See what happens if you can get fps up to around 40, by lowering some settings (even if you don't want to keep them that low permanently).

I don't know how to help with the video capture, since I almost never do it myself.

For the water effects, it would be great if you could make a separate post about it; i don't think there's a current thread.  The video you posted works well, but please also attach your deviceconfig and write in the post what graphics setting you're using for the water.

Message 14 of 17 (265 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@puzzlezaddictThank you. I'm almost satisfied with this resolution with full graphic settings. I don't want to lower down because this full setting works well on windows at 2560 1440 resolution.
But not sure I can play the sims 3 on mac because the game runs better on windows. The reason I came back to Mac is that I expected more improved game than windows, and can take screenshots without any dark effect on full screen mode. I noticed the fonts look perfect on windowed mode unlike the one on Windows 10 and graphics looks much better than Windows. But so far, the whole game runs much better on my Windows side.

Yeah I made a new post here for video and I'm still waiting for help. I appreciate your insights. Standard smile Where can I see the divice config on mac?

Message 15 of 17 (259 Views)

@aodoherty  The deviceconfig.log is in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3, the same place it is in Windows.

I agree with you that the Mac version doesn't run as well as the Windows version, although the gap isn't as large as it used to be.  That's unfortunate, but maybe not surprising for a game that wasn't originally written for Macs at all.

Message 16 of 17 (246 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@puzzlezaddictOh yeah I agree with you. It's much better than force quitting with only 2 GB Rams support. Ahh thanks. I will post the deviceconfig.log as well. Standard smile

Message 17 of 17 (239 Views)