Re: The Sims™ 4: macOS Notarization FAQ

by simmyfroggy

Original Post

The Sims™ 4: macOS Notarization FAQ

[ Edited ]
EA app Team

Hi Simmers,

With the upcoming patch, the location where some of The Sims 4 game files are stored in macOS will change to comply with Apple’s updated notarization requirements.

If you haven’t manually modified any game files, you should be able to install the patch and continue playing as normal. For more information on what’s going to change, please, read the FAQ below.

What will this patch do?
Once the patch is downloaded the following actions will take place as part of the install/repair process:

• Default.ini, GraphicsCards.sgr, and GraphicsRules.sgr configuration files will be deleted and new default versions added to the Resources folder within the application bundle.
  • Any pack content (DLC) previously installed will be moved to a new The Sims 4 Packs folder next to the application bundle.

Why are files being moved around? Will this impact my Expansion Packs and/or Mods?

To be compliant with the Notarization requirements the location where certain game files and downloaded content are stored needed to be changed.

• Expansion Packs should work as expected after this change.
  • Mod files should not be impacted by this change at all.

What if I store my The Sims 4 in an alternate location from the default (external drive, different folder, etc)?

The location of the game app bundle and executables are not affected by these changes, just where pack content is installed.

• If you move the app bundle location, be sure to move the folder The Sims 4 Packs as well.

Will there be changes to where my game saves are stored?
No, saved games will continue to be stored in your Documents folder at ~/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/ .

What if I have updated Config files like: Default.ini, GraphicsCards.sgr, GraphicsRules.sgr?
As part of the patch process the location of these files is moving to a new Resources folder within the app bundle.

• New default versions of these files will be installed in this new location.
  • If you have made local modifications to these files, they will be lost and will need to be reapplied in the new location.

What is notarization? Why now?

Notarization is a new requirement for macOS applications that gives users peace of mind that the software they are installing from outside of Apple’s macOS App Store has been checked and verified to be free of malicious content by Apple. Stricter notarization requirements were recently introduced.

You can read more about the process on the official Apple Developer article.

Message 1 of 14 (16,109 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Does this patch have any effects on older OS systems? I'm currently running  High Sierra, but I'm afraid to download the new patch. I know newer systems like Mojave and Catinlina require the notarization system but High Sierra doesn't as much. Thank you. 

Message 2 of 14 (14,240 Views)

EA Staff
@MaricBate Older macOS releases honor the notarization and signing but don't require it. Mojave is more insistent on needing it. Catalina requires it.

The notarization and signing should be invisible to you on older systems (and invisible on newer systems too since they will no longer complain about it missing).
--
I am an employee of EA.

Please do not send me private messages unless I ask you to. I promise that you will get help faster in the public forum. Thank you.
Message 3 of 14 (14,220 Views)

★ Guide
was this supposed to be automatically moved? because after the patch, a bunch of my DLC was showing up as not downloaded (in Origin only, when I loaded the game it showed right in the main menu) and there was nothing at all in the Packs folder.
Message 4 of 14 (14,057 Views)

EA Staff
@simmyfroggy All DLC that used to live inside the app bundle is no longer in the App bundle. The Origin client must also be updated to actually see the change. What version of the Origin client do you have installed?
--
I am an employee of EA.

Please do not send me private messages unless I ask you to. I promise that you will get help faster in the public forum. Thank you.
Message 5 of 14 (14,028 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@MaxisJoeVersion 10.5.66

(more specific: Version 10.5.66.38849 - 759745)

Message 6 of 14 (14,013 Views)

@simmyfroggy

Same for me although City Living, Tiny Living and Fitness all show as installed in Origin. Every other pack says Download but they're all installed and working fine Standard smile

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 7 of 14 (13,814 Views)

EA Staff
@simmyfroggy Thanks for that.
--
I am an employee of EA.

Message 8 of 14 (13,810 Views)

★ Guide
@Bluebellflora Yeah, same packs for me that show up as installed in Origin.

None of them are actually in the new Packs folder (they do download to the new folder though, I tried with one of the EPs).
Message 9 of 14 (12,811 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Sorry for the late response, but thank you. I've been looking in the forums all day and my concern came about when I saw someone on twitter post about that huge issue that's been going on (the one that starts with 135)/ the language issue. I still haven't downloaded the new update because, from reading the forums, it seems(I might be wrong) like some people who were already playing in English have this problem too? (I always play in English) Thank you so much for taking the time to work through this! Hope you and the team can find a fix soon Standard smile   

Message 10 of 14 (11,273 Views)